• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Weapons - 2 specific questions

skelso

First Post
1: Are there limitations in the way that abilities can be added to weapons?
For example, can you create a +1 longsword with Flaming, Frosting, Shocking and Acid as special abilities?

I know that a weapon cannot have more than a total of +10 worth of bonus and abilities, unless it's epic. I know the DMG says you cannot put conflicting enchantments on a weapon. I took that to mean that a weapon could not be both Holy and Unholy. Does that also mean a weapon cannot be both Flaming and Frosting? I've looked through the DMG quite a bit to determine if there's a more specific rule on that, with no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2: How does bonus damage from effects like Flaming and Frosting effect a golem?

I know that the Golem's "Immunity to magic" means that it is not affected by spells that allow spell resistance. Does this also indicate immunity to extra magic damage from weapon abilities. If it is affected, does it only work when the weapon actually scores some regular damage on the Golem? If the golem has DR10/Adamantine and a flaming sword does 11 regular and 4 fire, that's 5 damage. Then, next round, the flaming sword does 9 regular and 6 fire. That scores no regular damage, so the fire has no effect. A clear explanation would be exceedingly helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Delta

First Post
1. I believe the Official FAQ says you can put both Flame & Frost on the same sword. I don't think I'd allow it as DM, though... it does seem to contradict that language in the DMG.

2. My interpretation would be that Flame/Frost would not affect a magic-immune golem. DMG says magic item abilities are "spell-like abilities", so that would seem to be nixed by the magic-immunity.

That's off the top of my head.

Runestar

First Post
I know that a weapon cannot have more than a total of +10 worth of bonus and abilities, unless it's epic. I know the DMG says you cannot put conflicting enchantments on a weapon.

Where are you getting this? I for one know that it is very well possible to have a holy, unholy weapon. Nor do I see anything wrong with allowing a flaming, frost weapon? How is it possible? Magic. :lol:

2: How does bonus damage from effects like Flaming and Frosting effect a golem?

No effect, they affect magic resistant/immune foes just fine, since they are not treated as spells for purposes of interacting with enemies. Just bear in mind that some golems have benefits/weaknesses against certain elements (a shocking weapon would slow an iron golem, for instance, while a flaming weapon would break any slow effect on it).

Delta

First Post
Tonight I'll change my answer to #2, in the context of the 3.5 rules. The FAQ has a few entries ruling that golems are affected by dragon breath or alchemical acid, based on that "spell resistance" language inserted in 3.5.

Usually I run by 3.0 rules, that don't have that same language. So in my games golems would be immune to that stuff, which makes more sense to me anyway.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I wouldn't allow an item to have conflicting alignment special properties, but yeah. Nothing wrong with an Icy-Hot sword.

Far as golems go, the energy damage doesn't allow for SR, so it works as normal.

FEADIN

Explorer
As you can't be good and evil (unless a very specific event gives you both auras) at the same time a weapon can't be either.
Same for chaotic and lawful, for the elements the opposition is less clear, but cold/fire is no way for me.

akbearfoot

First Post
I suppose technically, you could have a good aligned crafter enchant a weapon to be holy, and then an evil aligned crafter add unholy later on...However I imagine it would be extremely difficult to find a crafter who would be willing to handle something that gave him a negative level for a couple weeks. Certainly not something that should be hand-waived or found in the 'magic shop'.

The exception being a double weapon. Each side could have opposed enchantments.

Seems fine to me to allow fire/frost on an item. It's magic, and it doesent really add that much damage....Many many things are resistant or immune to both types of energy...really the burst enchantments or holy or elemental aura are all better IMO. It won't even help them chop down doors any faster since ice deals 1/4 damage to objects and fire deals 1/2 and hardness still applies.

Then how about shock/acidic on 1 weapon? most people would think that seems fine, even though earth is dimetrically opposed to air.

skelso

First Post
Thanks for all the responses. Part of the reason for my question, though is the resulting unbelievable outputs of damage. I'm kind of searching for some way to mitigate it.

In my current game, I have a party of 15th level characters. We've been playing since level 1 and things have been mostly good and fairly well balanced. Since then they've begun pouring their money mostly into their weapons.

The Fighter has a +1 Flaming, Acidic, Holy, Magebane, Undead Bane Bastard Sword.

The Barbarian has a +1 Flaming, Frosting, Holy Greatsword

The Ranger has a +1 Flaming, Frosting, Shocking, Holy Composite Longbow.

The one round damage output is unbelievable. Even though none of them are using adamantine weapons, they can take down a 300hp Greater Stone Golem in 2 rounds. Granted the Holy generally won't work against a golem, but if I'm reading the rules right, it really doesn't make a huge difference that they aren't using adamantine.

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, normally the mitigating factor is just that a lot of monsters, especially high-CR monsters, have energy resistances. Practically every Outsider and his brother has a handful of energy resistances or immunities, plus the energy immunities of many Dragons and Elementals, some Aberrations, Oozes, Magical Beasts, etc.

Note also that it takes a Command Word to activate these properties, like Flaming/Frost/Shock. Command Word activation is a standard action for each individual item.

The rules themselves (I dunno if Rules Compendium changes it, though) don't say you can't have a holy and unholy weapon or a flaming and frost weapon (though the creator of a holy weapon must be good, and the creator of an unholy weapon must be evil, so you'd have to somehow get a good or evil cleric to enchant the weapon after its initial creation, and I don't think you'll find any such cleric who would even touch a weapon of the opposite alignment).

Remove ads