• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Holy Symbol

Crothian

First Post
Is there any rule that says you cannot have a magical holy symbol? I haven't seen any, but since it is the DF for all those spells, I don't know if it can be done. I was thinking about having my order of paladins have special holy symbols that also give then a nice bonus to Sense Motive.

kreynolds

First Post
I don't see why not. Go for it!

Of course, that would possibly open up a new type of discount for magic items: If the magic item only functions for a specific faith, it receives a 20% discount in market price. Like I said, I don't see why not, but are you sure you wanna go there? ;)

On the other hand, you could look at it in reverse and say it is a full priced magic item that just so happens to be a holy symbol. That would be my preferred perspective.

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Crothian said:
Is there any rule that says you cannot have a magical holy symbol? I haven't seen any...

DotF has the Greater Holy Symbol. It a magical holy symbol which allows you to use the Empower Turning spell at will.

So, at least there is a precedent for magical holy symbols. Personally, I wouldn't think that they would be any different than any other magical item. If you can have magical goggles or a magical cup, you can probably find a way to make a holy symbol (something that is slightly magical to begin with) magical. ;)

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
kreynolds said:
Of course, that would possibly open up a new type of discount for magic items: If the magic item only functions for a specific faith, it receives a 20% discount in market price. Like I said, I don't see why not, but are you sure you wanna go there? ;)

Of course, players being players, they will always try to misuse that.

I actually had a player argueing for that discount with the words '..but the staff can only be used by a human wizard', needless to say, I wacked him a couple of times on the head with my complete collection of 2nd Ed Ad&D books.

Tome

Explorer
Craft Wonderous Item

I have seen a great deal of magical holy symbols in my games. Currently my group just found an anhk that has some minor dweomer placed upon it and a name etched into the back in Draconic. Our party cleric believes it to be a key of some sort.

I've also seen symbols that increase effective cleric level for turning purposes (+4 Levels), heal the cleric iff he/she is brought below 0 HP, cast Blindness/Deafness upon non believers who touch them, cast Daylight, etc . . .

Magic holy symbols are exceptionally cool because the cleric has them at the ready all the time. Just use the appropriate feat to make it depending upon the enchantment. Typically it would be a wonderous item.

Crothian

First Post
Re: Craft Wonderous Item

Tome said:

Magic holy symbols are exceptionally cool because the cleric has them at the ready all the time. Just use the appropriate feat to make it depending upon the enchantment. Typically it would be a wonderous item.

THis was the reason I was wondering. Also, many clerics are allowed to keep their holy symbol on them at all times. I'm not that worried about player abuse, I don't suffer from that problem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads