• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical tattoos

tecnowraith

First Post
Does anyone know or remember if Wizards created rules/systems for magical tattoos as items, not for prestige classes or alterive spellbooks?

themightylex

First Post
did you ever get any response on this?

I'm playing a Cleric that has taken the Vow of Poverty from the BoED. I have his Holy Symbols tattooed on his body, so that he can still have a clearly seen Divine Focus for spells and turning checks.

It's not the same as the magic tattoos of the Tattoo Monks or the fanciful body art the Wild Elves, but it makes for a great visual during roleplaying.

tecnowraith

First Post
Ok, the rules I was thinking is from Races of Farun, The only thing I not like is that it's a one time use only item. A rule that I have never liked in some of the magic tattoos rules I have seen.

yennico

First Post
themightylex said:
It's not the same as the magic tattoos of the Tattoo Monks or the fanciful body art the Wild Elves, but it makes for a great visual during roleplaying.
In which book is the Tattoo Monk Class or Prc?

Taluron

There are rules for psionic tattoos in the psionic part of the SRD. including a Create Tattoo feat

There is a Magic Tattoo Spell in Magic of Faerun. It's been updated to 3.5 in some book, Players Guide to Faerun maybe.

There are rules for tattoos in Modern.

There are rules for tattoos in a couple of 3rd party cources as well (Relic/Rituals for one).

atom crash

First Post
Yeah but not for every race though. I mean for every race...

Yes, but you could drop the restrictions on race -- in Eberron, the setting-specific races aren't allowed dragonmarks -- and keep the general rules.

For instance, I'm toying with allowing the PCs in my campaign to choose the aberrant dragonmark feat from the Eberron CS. Of course, it will be called something else, like mark of fate or magic tattoo. In general, the aberrant dragonmark allows the player to use a 1st-level spell once per day.

Maybe in the future I'll allow the other dragonmark feats, though I'm not sure how those would work without also porting over the concept of dragonmarked houses.

You could also modify the least, lesser and greater dragonmark feats to allow the PC's magic tattoo to power up over time.

Last edited:

Remove ads