• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical weapon hit points and hardness

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
My apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but I just noticed it myself.

In the PH (3.5) it states that: "each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to the hardness of armor, a weapon, or a shield and +10 to the item's hit points." (p. 165).

In the DMG (3.5) it states that "each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon's or shield's hardness and hit points." (p. 222)

Obviously there is a big difference here. My plan is to go with the rule in the PH. Anyone know whether this has been addressed in Sage Advice or something?

Balsamic Dragon

dagger

Adventurer
Well in 3.0 it was this:

"In the DMG (3.5) it states that "each +1 of enhancement bonus also adds 1 to the weapon's or shield's hardness and hit points." (p. 222)"

I like the fist way better, but Im not sure what the official way of 3.5 is since one is obviously wrong.

Tessarael

Explorer
On his boards, Andy Collins specifically states to go by the 3.5E PHB rules. i.e. 3.5E PHB is the authoritative source in this instance.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Tessarael said:
On his boards, Andy Collins specifically states to go by the 3.5E PHB rules. i.e. 3.5E PHB is the authoritative source in this instance.

Which contradicts the "Primary Source" rule from the 3.5 PHB Errata.

When you're looking for the effects of a magic weapon enhancement bonus, the primary source is the DMG.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads