Major WotC Announcement At Origins?

mearls

Hero
El_Gringo said:
It would make my day if they announced that Adkinson was buying D&D.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this.

I don't have any inside information, but like the man said you don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. From what I've seen over the past year, there's a good chance it can happen in the near future. I wouldn't be shocked to see it announced this weekend or at GenCon.

And then maybe, MAYBE, we can go a year without anything crazy happening to D&D.

GMSkarka

Explorer
mearls said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this.

When the announcement about GenCon came down at GAMA in March, I asked Peter about D&D...

...all I got in return was an enigmatic smile.

Take that for what it's worth.

GMS

Lady Dragon

First Post
But surely talks to sell something like D&D would take a couple of months and if they knew they were going to sell it outright in very near future why would they have the setting submission/Contest now that would be the purveiw of the new owner unless he requested it,but that doesn't make any sense.

More likely they will announce something less final and drastic like for example they are going to lease out Planescape or something or even let someone use the D&D name like Kenzer does.I wouldn't even be shocked if they leased out the whole thing.

Or maybe they are going to lease out Forgotten Realms which is why they need a new setting?

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
ARRRGHHH!

/begin rant

I am getting sick and tired of too many damn changes at WOTC! Yes, they saved D&D, for which I am extremely thankful. It was like an unexpected engagement ring, you laugh, you cry, you realize that your whole life is ahead of you and that you can just take these three little books and game with them the rest of your life. But the fact is, that I want more. Sword and Fist came out, and I was disappointed. Where's the game balance, I asked? What happened to the new start? I thought things had changed!

But I was loyal, dammit! I bought almost every book, every module and most of them were good if not great! Then it started happening, new annoucements from WOTC. HASBRO was buying them out. They were laying folks off. Everything was going OGL. The CEO was leaving the company. Someone might have been embezzling money. Every new word was another question: was D&D going away? Now it seems like its just one big emotional rollercoaster! $120,000 Fantasy Setting Contest! Dragon Magazine Sold! Big New Announcement at Origins? or maybe Gencon?

I can't take it any more!!! Don't they know that I have feelings too? And don't say that I am asking for too much, either. I'd be perfectly happy to go back to those three little books if that's what it would take. But they went and promised me so much more! They made me want to see those promises kept and now every week I am getting less and less sure...

Is this all D&D meant to them? A brief fling and then off to someone else? I mean, Peter's a great guy, but did they ever think of how I would feel? I don't know if I'm ready to start over again. I want some stability, some committment. After over 20 years as a gamer I think I deserve it!

/end rant

Balsamic Dragon

I feel much better now (sniff)

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
*offers Basalmic Dragon some of her popcorn*

You gotta separate yourself from the drama, and just watch it unfold like some torrid episode of Big Brother. :D

This does get stranger and stranger, though.

At least we'll be finding out soon!

Ashtal

Lady Dragon

First Post
Maybe the reason WoTC is looking for a campaign setting is because they are selling D&D and they want to become just another D20 publisher under the open game lisence. Nah not possible.

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Originally posted by El_Gringo (emphasis mine)
It would make my day if they announced that Adkinson was buying D&D.

Adkison.

(It's an old joke. Don't feel bad if you don't get it. ;))

Last edited:

Remove ads