• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Make a paladin better!

Kristivas

First Post
Getting the feeling that paladins aren't as good (combat-wise) as other characters, I was wondering what multiclass and PrC choices I could make to have a better character? Some feats to get, ect. Assume starting at level 1 as a paladin and keeping that as the main "theme", but adding other classes in for improvement.

No god or anything chosen yet.

BadMojo

First Post
Don't know about Prestige Classes, but some nice feats are good old Power Attack + Cleave, Extra Smiting, Extra Turning, Divine Might (last three from Complete Warrior), or Sanctify Strike (Book of Exalted Deeds).

Paladins can be pretty tough if you've got good stats.

drothgery

First Post
Make sure your DM is planning a game where your mount will be useful in combat most of the time (i.e. if you're medium or larger paladin, most combat is outdoors, or at least in big rooms where you can summon your pokemount). Then go down the mounted combat chain. You should be fine.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Divine might is pretty good for a paladin with a nice charisma.
It's even better if you can some how get away with having high enough ability scores and enough feats to fight two weaponed also, I once saw an NPC villain do this but never a PC.

Smite evil plus spirited charge also works pretty nice.

BadMojo

First Post
drothgery said:
Make sure your DM is planning a game where your mount will be useful in combat most of the time (i.e. if you're medium or larger paladin, most combat is outdoors, or at least in big rooms where you can summon your pokemount). Then go down the mounted combat chain. You should be fine.

If the mount won't see much use, there's a Variant Class feature in PHB II that replaces the Poke-mount.

On a slightly related note, I swear I saw something that replaced the mount with a weapon that increased in power in the same manner. You could also summon and dismiss it. If I *did* imagine this, it's still a good idea.

Anyone remember seeing a variant class feature like that?

Darklone

Seconded.... TWF paladins with Divine Might rock, especially with doubleweapons for Power Attack twohanded goodness for the smity charge. Problem: You'll need some fighterlevels for the feats.

If you use the paladin as PrClass... start with a fighter and you'll love it.

And don't forget the halfling paladin on a riding dog/spider. D&D 3E brings the cavalry into the dungeon!

Edit: For all those evil DMs and their favorite BBEGs out there who look for good henchmen: Best way to make a PC paladin a fun toy NPC is to turn him into a vampire. That boosts him like hell, get some blackguard levels for extra goodness... and watch the thing wreck havoc on the whole group.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Also look at alternate class features, such as what was shown in Dragon #350/Dragon #349. There was one there that replaces a paladin's mount in favor of a celestial type weapon. I think that might be something to consider.

Remove ads