• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a Ranger a need advice

Psyduck

First Post
ok, my DM is starting a campaign. I want to try and design a Ranger, 4th level. Unfortunately, I don't have any stats yet or anything. I was just wondering what are the most important skills out of the following list:

Spot,Listen,Move Silently, Hide, Wilderness Lore, and Ride

Also, I want him to be more of an archer, and was wondering if I had my highest score as dex, should I bother with weapon finesse in case I can't fire my bow?

Any advice about Rangers would help, especially everything listed above

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
1. Spot
2. Hide
3. Listen
4. Wilderness Lore
5. Ride
6. Move Silently

Obviously, it depends on what you want to do with your character.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
To make a proper Ranger, take first level as Rogue, then three as Druid. Then you just follow the easy pattern of 2 levels Druid per level Rogue, and voila you have a ranger.

If you don't mind being a powergaming rogue hating munchkin you could even take that class they have in the PHB, but I would reccomend against it. ;)

The most common archetype of ranger is going to need lots of ranks in Wild Lore, MS, Hide, KNowledge (nature), spot and listen.

Psyduck

First Post
Good point

I'm trying to make him a hunter type. I'm pretty sure I can get at least a 10 intelligence, but the six skills I named off are the ones I want to have maxed out. He's gonna be a type that sits in the brush of a forest and watches travelers pass. I someone does something I don't like, I will track them down and become a vigilante. I figure wilderness lore for tracking them down, hide and move silently for following, spot and listen for those things that try to escape me or ambush me, and ride just because I like the skill. So I could probably get rid of ride, but that leaves me with 5. Also, has anyone thought that Handle Animal is a very useful skill? Animal Empathy? Maybe even search?

StoneAxe

First Post
I would concentrate on Spot, Listen, Wilderness Lore, followed by Hide and Move Silently. Since most of the time you will be part of a group Move Silently and Hide get compromised by those of lesser skill. Also your character can strive for Boots and Cloak of elvenkind to more than make up for any diminished ranks. Focus Feats on the bow and use a long spear as a melee weapon.

Remember a 5' step is an archers best friend. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads