• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making ability scores more about the character concept.

With my suggestion, there are now 6 different flavors of fighter (plus all the combinations). All balanced.
It's not weird that a fighter can find some benefit from Intelligence or Charisma. It's weird that a fighter doesn't benefit from Strength. If you feint a lot and target their weak point, then you should still get more of an effect by hitting that weak point harder.

mellored

Legend
It's not weird that a fighter can find some benefit from Intelligence or Charisma. It's weird that a fighter doesn't benefit from Strength. If you feint a lot and target their weak point, then you should still get more of an effect by hitting that weak point harder.
Then you roleplay your 14 Cha, 14 Wis, 14 Str fighter who as a mixture of feinting, spotting their weak point, and hitting hitting hard.
While I roleplay my 20 Int fighter as using my knowledge to strike at their vital organs.

That's the point.

Then you roleplay your 14 Cha, 14 Wis, 14 Str fighter who as a mixture of feinting, spotting their weak point, and hitting hitting hard.
While I roleplay my 20 Int fighter as using my knowledge to strike at their vital organs.

That's the point.
I don't care how my character works. I care how the world works, and that it makes sense, and is internally consistent. If literally any combination of stats works out to the equivalent of +4 to hit and damage (as in the original post), then none of those stats actually means anything.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I don't care how my character works. I care how the world works, and that it makes sense, and is internally consistent. If literally any combination of stats works out to the equivalent of +4 to hit and damage (as in the original post), then none of those stats actually means anything.
Sounds like this would be a poor house rule for you, then.

Satyrn

First Post

The stat will still mean something, though. The strong fighter will be better at pushing people around.

And once Strength doesn't apply to Damage, we probably ought to up its modifier so that an 18 Str fighter gets more than +4 better chance of shoving someone around than the 10 Strength fighter . . .

. . . and as I wrote that, I thought of a decent compromise: Adjust the modifiers so that the maximum is only +2 with a score of 18-20. Then add a second column where the modifiers go to +10 for a 20. Use that second column for saves and checks, and other things that make a strong character feel strong, while the smaller range used for those "important" rolls we really care about (attacks, damage, etc)

mellored

Legend
There is more to the game than just to-hit and damage rolls. And "every fighter has 20 str" is not a great world building.

But... Maybe you'd like something like...
To-hit: Wis+Cha+Dex
Damage: Str+Con+Int

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I agree.

They should be different. When I suggested feats i meant something similar to how we have feats now. The stronger the pc the more and better strength feats they would get. Non-feat bonuses would be based on level. Numerical bonuses from feats I think should be very rare or non-existant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads