• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making an arcane version of Grave Strike

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
A simple conversion. Create an arcane version of Grave Strike for wizard/rogue multi-classes.

The spell is almost exactly the same, except it's arcane. 1st level spell, 1 swift action casting time, 1 round duration, V component only (this is the only change, more in line with Golem Strike), allows sneak attack on undead.

There is precedent for wizards to use positive energy, as shown in the cantrip Disrupt Undead.

Thoughts? Balanced?

Cheers.

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
Bueller? Bueller?

Seriously, is there already an arcane version out there? Am I missing something?

Is House Rules dying a slow death?

It's the weekend?

What?

Flame_Excess

Explorer
This is a spell of Necromancy school, right?

Arcane spellcasters aren't particularly good against undead and I don't see what's your interest to switch the spell from divine or arcanic.

Anyway, if you want my opinion of spell adjustement, I would put it lvl 2.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'd see no problem with it. It's only really useful for multi-class Rogues (and similar).

Cheers, -- N

wargear

First Post
Converting spells from divine to arcane usually involves either an increase in spell level, or an increase in the cost or difficulty to cast.

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
Well now, that is a good idea, too :)

The spell conversion is actually for the Wizard/Rogue/Assassin in my group.

A potential next mission for the special operations unit of Myern (my LE city-state) is removing a group of necromancers that have moved into an abandoned town near the border.

Mindless undead are acceptable in Myern. Wee Jas is the primary deity, and I'm playing Her as accepting of Mindless undead since they don't have souls. Other undead still have souls intact and those souls must be 'freed'.

The necromancers are creating and controlling ghouls, shadows, wights, vampires, and other fun undead. Those undead and the necromancers must be eliminated. As an incentive to the wizard/rogue Myern will provide an arcane version of Grave Strike (since Wee Jas is also a deity of magic, lots of research goes on in Her city).

Some background for you :)

Cheers!

wargear

First Post
If you are still planning on making it a spell, then ensure the spell is able to perform for non-rogues as well. for example granting any caster the ability to sneak attack an undead, but stacking with any current sneak attack from class features...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads