Malazan Book of the Fallen

The_Khan

First Post
Re:

BadMojo my friend, you will definitely enjoy reading the Malazan books, they are unique and really excellent! I'm happy you enjoyed the Ptolus and the Hedge Knight, please don't forget that the Hedge Knight II comes out next month ;) No, there is no release date for Malazan at this time.

We really enjoyed adapting Ptolus and we are currently looking into it :)

Nyaricus my friend, yes you're right, we take fantasy literature and adapt it first into comics and then we compile them into graphic novels.

If you check out our webstore http://www.dbprostore.com/catalog/index.php you can find our books, prints and so forth. You can also type in the name of the book you are looking for on the left side where it says "Quick Find".

I'm happy I could get you interested ;)

Davek my friend, I can't wait to get to Reaper's Gale, I've heard some very good things about it :)

Yes, we will be doing sketches of Kruppe and Fiddler and all the other characters ;)

Thanks for helping Nyaricus BadMojo my friend, I really appreciate it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I bought the series, at great espense using amazon UK to ship to the US.

I tried to read the first book. I really tried, hard. And it just wasn't my thing. I just found it incredibly boring.

I trust you guys who like it, and I promise I will give them a second try. But so far, I have found it to be like watching paint dry.

IcedEarth81

First Post
The first half of book one is tough. You don't know what is going on and it isn't as well written as the rest of the series. The second half is much better. The whole book is much better on a re-read, which I recently did.

Deadhouse Gates is brilliant, as are Memories of Ice and Midnight Tides. House of Chains and Bonehunters have their moments and are excellent books, but don't quite compare to those three. I'm working on Reaper's Gale right now and it is looking to be another masterpiece so far. Hang in there and it will pay off.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Eric Anondson said:
Did you read the second? I found the first one average, the second one wow'ed me.

I couldn't make it through the first (so far). I made it about half-way before I gave up.

Again, I promise I will try again. I trust the many opinions on this board that the books are good overall that I will at some point force my way through the difficult reading in the first book.

Mind you, I have never made it through the Silmarillian.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Mistwell said:
I couldn't make it through the first (so far). I made it about half-way before I gave up.

Again, I promise I will try again.
My recommendation; skip the first book. Don't go back, head directly to book 2. Book 2 in the series is arguably an entirely different story that happens to be set in the same world. While it involves the same empire and the same planet, it is a different continent, different cultures, wholy different characters. Three minor characters from the first cross over to the second but completing the first book is nearly unimportant understanding what they are doing in the 2nd book. It is not linked to the first book in the traditional fantasy series sense of connection from book to book.

So again, don't try the first book again, go directly to book 2. :D If that doesn't do it for ya, then I don't think there is anything in the rest of the series that comes after that would trip your trigger.

The_Khan

First Post
Re:

Eric my friend, you do have a good point there. Starting at book #2, you don't really lose anything and it's a good starting point as well. I'm currently reading Book #3 and am enjoying it :)

Once I have a concrete date for Malazan coming out, I will let you know :)

Remove ads