• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mana??

Spell slots are pretty simple already. How would a spell point system make magic more balanced? I think it's been pointed out that a point system has been prone to abuse in the past when used as the basis for psionics.

A spell points system allows you to include scaling costs for higher-power spells (and also to spent more than the minimum on a specific spell to power it up further). Spells in Vancian systems often include scaling within the spell (without increasing its actual cost), but they also give more spells and more powerful spells as you gain levels.

Heroes Against Darkness: Remaking Magic: Scaling Spells

One example of a poorly costed psionic spell does not make all points-based systems prone to abuse.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Spell slots are pretty simple already. How would a spell point system make magic more balanced? I think it's been pointed out that a point system has been prone to abuse in the past when used as the basis for psionics.
Balance was covered pretty well by [MENTION=6686995]justinhalliday[/MENTION]. Yes, spell point systems can be abused if not designed well, but overall they're perfectly easy to do well. The psionics hate that's out there is pretty ridiculous; 3.0 psionics had some balance issues that did not have a lot to do with the spell point aspect, whereas the 3.5 version was probably more balanced than the core magic system.

As to simplicity,you must not have played a high-level wizard. Keeping track of what number of each spell you have is a bookkeping mess, never mind the myriad DCs or the confusion of learning spells in the first place. One number of spell points is much simpler.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Mmmm ... pass. Spell points/mana are not D&D to me, and require too much bookkeeping.

How is Vancian magic NOT book keeping? Maybe easy at low levels but it is super annoying once you level up.

The only thing you need to do with spell points is to count them down when you have used them. Much like with HPs.

Remove ads