D&D 5E Many Homebrew Spells for D&D 5e

Goemoe

Explorer
1 minute... good point. I did not notice that. Magic Weapon is (imho) only lvl 2 for bonus balancing issues, so the 1 minute Armements should stay 1st level. Convinced ;)

Goemoe

Explorer
Buoyancy (Bard, Wizard, Cleric, Druid)
1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: Reaction, which you can take any time your or an ally within range is submerged in water or some other liquid.
Range: 60 Feet
Components: V, S, M (a glass bubble filled with air, which the spell consumes)
Duration: 1 Minute
Choose up to five willing creatures within range that are completely submerged in water or another liquid. A submerged creature rises towards the surface at a rate of 60 feet per round. When it reaches the surface, it is sustained there, and can move under its own swimming speed, or moved by others (such as with a rope). The spell ends for a creature if that creature completely leaves the liquid.
I don't think I like the concept of reaction spells which need material components. Where do they come from the moment you react to something? Is a reaction spell a good choice to get up to five creatures under the effect of the spell in a foreign environment? Do you believe you can see up to 60 feet submerged in some liquid to cast this spell?

Then there is the point with a verbal component submerged in some liquid too.

I would change the spell either to somatic only, one target and reaction within 40 feet, or I would change the spell to one action without verbal component.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
I don't think I like the concept of reaction spells which need material components. Where do they come from the moment you react to something? Is a reaction spell a good choice to get up to five creatures under the effect of the spell in a foreign environment? Do you believe you can see up to 60 feet submerged in some liquid to cast this spell?

Then there is the point with a verbal component submerged in some liquid too.

I would change the spell either to somatic only, one target and reaction within 40 feet, or I would change the spell to one action without verbal component.

Many excellent points, which I did not consider when porting it over from 3rd. I've updated the spell to use a bonus action instead of a reaction, as well as removing the verbal component. As for 60 feet range, that is the maximum distance the DMG suggests for players to see underwater in optimal conditions (clear water/bright light), so if the water is dimmer/murkier than that it will have a reduced effective range. Also, the caster doesn't have to be in the water, and therefore could theoretically cast it on someone who is drowning or otherwise unable to swim, perhaps if they are unconscious or have fallen off a boat.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
gonna post some new spells for a "force mage" concept ive been working on if i can grab time to do it tomorrow

[EDIT] I'm two days into the effort this time, and I'm looking a list of 50+ spell concepts to work into 5e, most of which are actually elemental-type spells (ended up doing a remake of my original elementalist, will probably post it tomorrow). Some (10-ish) are actual force spells, I just got carried away with the elemental stuff since its so much easier to find inspiration for [/EDIT]

Last edited:

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Some interesting stats that I just recently bothered to work out: In total, there's 142 spells on the list (not counting those divination ones), wich means an average of 14-ish spells per spell level (including cantrips)

The level with the most spells is 5th, with 22. 7th, 8th, and 9th are tied for last with 8.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
UPDATE:
v1.10 (2/23/2016) Class spell lists have been added to the front of the document, and I've added 24 new spells, mostly abjuration and divination, with plenty of bard spells to make up for the relative lack of them from before:
Cantrips: Dazzle, Push/Pull. Zen Archery
1st Level: Listening Coin
2nd Level: Angelskin, Awakening, Battle Hymn, Mantle of Faith
3rd Level: Arrow-ward, Last Word, War Cry, Whirling Wards
4th Level: Awareness, Forceward, Hammer of the Gods, Warmind
5th Level: Berserk, Normalize, Shadow-ward, Wall of Dispel Magic, Zone of Revelation
6th Level: Hindsight, Reave Magic, Solitude
Also removed the Veil spell, as it's just a useless copy of Seeming, which I just recently read. Removed more obsolete references to 3.x terminology.

Last edited:

Remove ads