D&D 5E Many Homebrew Spells for D&D 5e

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
Criticism: Let's keep the discussion simple and assume that magic items, multiclassing, and splicing via feats and features is mostly ignored because that is already a built-in consideration for those that get that stuff.
Dazzle feels like it's stepping on the bard's territory. Are you going to give a cover-ignoring cantrip (clerics), a multi-hitter (warlocks), a puller (druids and also sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards with the inclusion of Lightning Lure), a weapon transmutation (druids), and so on to everyone? At their core, cantrips are equal, and splicing is already possible, so this may not seem like a big deal. Still, I wonder why we're so eager to cross class identities in cantrips.
Earth Blast doesn't specify "other" before "creatures" for the DEX save. Is that intentional? Seems strong, but since both parts have to "work" to get that strength, I guess that it's okay . . . What I don't like about it is that it involves multiple rolls on a cantrip, which is something that the devs very intentionally avoided to keep game flow pretty fast on the small stuff. What about just turning this into Melf's Minute Meteors, but in bludgeoning, not fire, and with the school changed to conjuration? Come to think of it, this is a 60' cantrip, and I think that it should be 30' for a couple of reasons: Druids don't get decently ranged cantrips, so they're forced to either chase and Thorn Whip (perhaps with Longstrider), Wild Shape and chase, or plug away with leveled spells. Even with a feat, only Thorn Whip gets another 30 feet. I mean, who wants to throw/sling something with disadvantage? Screw that. Anyway, Earth Blast alleviates that, but I don't think that it should; I think that it's an intentional limit on how druids play. The other reason is just practicality. If you want to feel like an earth bender from Avatar, that's cool and all, but those without military training didn't have much accuracy beyond short ranges, either.
Why is Hand of Blight not a sorcerer thing?
Lance of Faith: Make it 120'. At 90', it's not worth taking up a cantrip slot over just shooting light crossbows (which hit harder), and it sure isn't worth the "no cover" part of Sacred Flame.
Lightning Lash: http://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/lightning-lure
Push/Pull: First, your scaling numbers are off. Now, the real problem: Like many others, you're vastly undervaluing the power of position control. Druids have all sorts of difficult terrain (Plant Growth's the best.) and some moving spells, but that's to compensate for their range deficiency. At the cantrip level, Thorn Whip has the disadvantage of hurting people that you want to harmlessly move, it only pulls, the distance doesn't scale, and it has a low range limit. Repelling Blast is a thing, but it requires multiple hits to get good distance, and I'm spending an entire Eldritch Invocation on a rider effect, so I'd damn-well better get some value. This, on the other hand, freely provides two attacks worth of the shove action or a Charger shove (and at an easily failed saving throw, rather than a "my choice" Athletics/Acrobatics check against your Athletics check) and scales up so that you can kite for days, especially with Ray of Frost to slow them as they approach and shots with longer ranges for when they give up and start fleeing, which arcane casters have. With some speed-improving transmutations, casters can already kite pretty well, but this gives a huge boost for free.
Rainbow Bolt: Okay, I get where you're going with it, and I'd be willing to do two rolls for one cantrip sometimes (playing with the mentality that I usually cast my better, more consistent cantrips, but move to this when I'm feeling whimsical or want to try for a damage type that I don't normally get) for it, but I don't get your damage type selection. If you're going to include force and psychic, which are infrequently resisted, why not all ten? Also, this shouldn't be a druid thing. First, it's the range thing again. Second, druids are very damage type-starved for the first few levels, which is intentional and an offset for their damage versatility from Wild Shape. Third, flavorfully, this is not a natural rainbow thing, but a rainbow-colored burst of arcane (I don't really see it fitting with the cleric's identity, either, but the cleric's identity is already very flexible, so whatever.) power.
Read Magic: In an earlier version, sure. Now, this is way out of line. You're circumventing too many things: INT (Arcana) checks to cast spell scrolls of a higher level than you can normally cast, INT (Arcana) checks to read other magical junk (and INT skills are already either drastically undervalued or severely overvalued, depending on your DM, so throwing another element into the mix is just messy), and especially the hard limit in the DMG that you can't cast from a spell scroll if the spell isn't on your class list.
Static Shock: The range is odd. It's another two rolls in one cantrip. I still don't know if the initial target is included; I'd assume so, as is the case with Ice Knife, but you don't have it worded that way. If not, it's too weak, as it needs a cluster of at least 3 just to slightly outperform Acid Splash, which will be taken for its superior range and more consistent power as well as the potential to still work better when your DM says, "This is a swarm of tiny creatures in one square, so I'll apply the damage to each that fails the save."
Stonefist: It seems fine, but why is it available to non-druids?
Summon Instrument: It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it circumvents the expenses and encumbrance that is usually associated with the bard's spellcasting focus and favored tool(s). Just freely summoning them feels like a stomp to the flavor, it offers something special in that the caster can't be deprived of a spellcasting focus ever, and its offer of recompense is that it's otherwise a waste of a cantrip slot. I suppose that I see the trade-off in that, but feelings are very mixed. The nice thing about homebrew material is that the DM has plenty of inclination to say "no" right out the gate, but we are trying to make these compatible with as many tables as possible, right?
Ethereal Shield trades a cantrip slot and extra expense for a little bit of encumbrance. This feels like an even bigger waste than Light when you already know that another caster has that. As an aside, cantrips with expensive material components seems like a silly idea.
Ethereal Weapon, on the other hand, offers way too much versatility for one cantrip. Yes, the bigger parts of Pact of the Blade are magical damage penetration and automatic proficiency, but clerics, especially Death and War clerics, already have plenty of proficiency, and druids have enough.
Vigor: Give it a duration of 1 or 10 minutes, at least. False Life's temp HP go away after an hour. The dropped efficiency of an HD seems like a reasonable cost for a "healing" (I know that it doesn't restore consciousness.) cantrip, but also being able to use it as a no-duration buffer whose only cost is HD that you won't be using on a restless day or the excess HD that you don't need to burn on your short rests is basically free HP.
Nice work on the other cantrips and on not making anything that goes overboard on DPS like that Greenflame Blade crap that SCA gave us migraines with.
Armaments of the Forest should make the equipment magical. It's magical equipment, and this is otherwise too tiny a step up from Shillelagh (which doesn't require concentration, so maybe not even a step up at all) to be a Lv1 spell.
Arrowmind: "Threat range" is not a thing in 5E. The phrasing that you're looking for is this: "While wielding a shortbow or longbow, you are considered to have a reach of 5 feet for the purposes of making opportunity attacks, which you perform by shooting arrows. You don't have disadvantage on ranged attack rolls with shortbows and longbows due to firing within 5 feet of a conscious, hostile creature." Next, give it a 10 minute duration at Lv2. Lv3 for 10 minutes of this little stuff is too expensive, much less Lv5. Finally, you should really consider making this a feat, not a spell.
Buoyancy has a fatal flaw: It requires a V component. Style it more after Feather Fall; have it be S, M to Feather Fall's V, M. Speaking of the components, if it doesn't have a cost, don't needlessly say that the spell consumes it. Lastly, the answer to Goemoe's question is this: You're either holding a spell component pouch or spellcasting focus all the time, which means that any non-costly M component is pure flavor, and costly components don't have any mechanical difference, either, other than having a cost. Drawing components is an automatic part of casting spells that does not require an action or your free item interaction for the turn. This is already a part of core rules and is how Feather Fall works, so this should, too.
Chameleon's cool and all, but largely impractical. Whether you cast this or take the hide action, you do so before you're seen, so this is nothing at all as long as you have cover to hide behind. It's nice when there's no cover or you expect the enemy to search behind the cover that is present, but I wouldn't waste a learned spell slot on it for that.
Erase: No, you don't get to use a Lv2 spell, Find Traps, and a Lv1 spell, Erase, to counter my Lv3 spell. That's not how it works. Lv3 spells are more than twice as good as a Lv1 and a Lv2 put together, so hard-countering like that while simultaneously getting to search for other traps is cheesy. It was an intended interaction in the differently balanced and unbalanced editions of yore, but it doesn't belong here.
Explosion: Compare to Earth Tremor (EE). Explosion has more damage, more damage scaling, force damage, more range, and a non-self range that can be enhanced by Distant Spell. They both have one of the strongest rider effects at low levels, the prone status. Earth Tremor can leave difficult terrain. Keeping it at Lv1, giving it 1d4 initial damage, but keeping the 2d4 scaling would make this look much more right.
Fire Arrow is pretty redundant. EE already has a Flame Arrows spell. It sucks, but it's a thing. At Lv3, there's the much more impressive Lightning Arrow. Also, you're making a Lv1 spell for a ranger? You can't really compete with Hunter's Mark without either defying class identity or going overboard, so I mostly recommend giving up on that premise. If you want more ranger spells, expand its higher levels a bit.
Hush is more complex than it looks. You're effectively invisible to creatures that rely on hearing to track others, which is a lot more than +5. I find it odd that you're using a +, not advantage, as 5E likes to simplify things that way. Advantage and +5 are equivalent, too, as passive perception tells us. I don't like the idea of using a spell slot and prepared/known slot on a spell that just deals with an ability check. 5E tried to get away from the plethora of entirely too specific and either UP or OP skill spells of previous versions. If you want to be more stealthy, either be a stealthier character or get a Lv2 spell, Enhance Ability or Invisibility.
Listening Coin: That's a very efficient spying spell. Too efficient for Lv1, really, even if it mandated concentration. For comparison's sake, here is Aud, a spell for a custom class that underwent much discussion and revision:

Aud - Divination 2, Scribe, Ritual
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, M (a tiny microphone, headphone, speaker, or strip of recording tape, and magical ink worth at least 100 gp)
Duration: 10 minutes
The target, which can be an object or creature, becomes an auditory sensor for the caster, recording every sound and storing them as a file deep within your subconscious mind, allowing you to recall the track perfectly at will. The file is recorded through your hearing as though you were in the same space as the sensor. Illusions that you disbelieve (any that you have succeeded at a saving throw or ability check against, any that you cast, and any that you witnessed someone else cast) are heard with distinct chimes that clearly mark them as illusory. The same file can be accompanied by a narrative, often a title or brief (no longer than this sentence) description of the depicted content, at the beginning, and it may have another at the end. It always has a timestamp. This spell can be dismissed as an action.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of a higher level, its duration rises to 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours, 10 days, 30 days, 180 days, and one year and a day.

Remove Fear: See Calm Emotions.
Sandblaster is completely out of line. Compare to Burning Hands. The average damage is 3 lower. The scaling is a tiny bit better; rather than 3.5 average damage per level, it's 7.5 per two (3.75 > 3.5). The damage is slashing, which is resisted much less than fire, and which sorcerers and wizards have little access to. It then tacks on a one-round blindness rider, which is about as mean or meaner than knocking prone. This is several stages of being objectively better and an auto-pick 1st-level spell.
Scare: First, this should be a WIS save, as we see in every other instance of fear-causing effects with saving throws. Now, balancing it . . . Okay, when compared to Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Fear, it looks fine. Two things that I would change: Just to make it consistent with the eponymous ability of the quasit would be to take out the auto-success when out of sight and in stead give disadvantage when within line of sight. Second, the multi-targeting scaling should require 30-foot proximity, as per Hold Person. Oh, right, its identity. Clerics? Okay, if you want to take tradition over their new identity, it's harmless enough; again, the cleric identity is more flexible than others, and this is a Lv1 spell, so no biggie. Druid? No. Why druid? Completely unfitting. Why not bard and sorcerer? Those two absolutely should have this.
Scorching Burst: First, do we need more "I hit you" spells? Second, really, do we need more "I burn you" spells? Fire damage is so oft-resisted that people drop most fire spells before third tier, as it is. Third, this hits way too hard. 3d8 on a single target is reserved for Catapult, which requires an object to shoot (not a hard cost, sure, but at least it's something that the DM can use against you if you spam it), and Chromatic Orb, which is great, but requires a diamond. More importantly, neither of those deal half on a whiff. Hitting multiple targets, even within a small radius, for 3d8 and whiff for half is more of a Lv2 think, like Shatter. A smaller radius (even though this one basically just means "two side-by-side creatures" most of the time) and fire damage is not enough to justify being a full level lower. Finally, that's not how scaling works. That scaling is so weak that this spell turns out to be OP at Lv1 and unusable at anything higher. At Lv2, you already do better with Aganazzar's Scorcher. See, too many burn spells.
Searing Light: This one is so wildly variable. I can see why the devs didn't get any sillier with type discrepancy than disadvantage to saving throws for Sunbeam and Sunburst. On its low, it's okay. The rider effect is meh. I mean, that's why we have alchemist's fire, acid, and other casters, right? On its high, though, you get a truly stupid high amount of burst damage. In its current state, as a DM that makes a lot of custom oozes and having played under a DM that spams undead, this spell discomforts me, and I would expect most other DMs with knowledge of game balance to be displeased, too. If you in stead gave yourself advantage on the attack roll against those guys, and sure, go ahead and make it deal half damage on a miss (Some of the radiance pulses out as the bolt passes by.) to undead and oozes, and it'd be totally fine.
Searing Shot: Why? Paladins already- Well, you know. Rangers don't need this. When they want to deal more damage by spending a first-level spell, they use Hunter's Mark. If they specifically want fire damage, they get one of the following answers: A) Tough. You're a ranger. You don't get elemental versatility in spells. You go pew pew. You pew pew well and have other nice things about your class. That's not one of them. B) I see that you have a flask of alchemist's fire. Ever considered delivery by arrow? You get a free item interaction to draw it after you take your shots, then you can tie it on as your free interaction on the next turn, or you can use your action this turn. C) That's why there's a Flame Arrows spell. Yes, it is sucky and expensive for you. That's what it costs to cross your class identity that I described in the first answer.
Snowshoes: The speed boost is unfitting. Also, the spell is enough without the situational Longstrider thrown in. I think that an easier way to go about this would be more like this: "You touch a creature and cause frosty terrain to shift accommodatingly beneath it. The creature can move across difficult terrain created by ice or snow without spending extra movement and doesn't need to make Dexterity checks to avoid slipping on or cracking ice. The creature leaves almost no trace in such terrain, so the base DC to track it across ice or snow is 25." Terrain-based saves are up to DM discretion in the first place, so this spell will either give advantage, have no effect, or give an auto-pass on a case-by-case basis that is determined by the DM no matter how you write it. As for tracking, the rules on that are in the DMG, and the DC that I picked was that of bare stone + having passed a day ago (20 + 5).
Summons: Oh, no. Opening the whole MM and then some (up to a CR limit) to a class before Lv7 (Polymorph) is a big deal. Polymorph, really, is a big deal, but this just takes that and expands on it with level diversity plus the fact that you're making a party larger. There's a reason for CRs being multiplied the way that they are when you fight mobs of multiple foes: Having more creatures that can attack and take hits at a time provides a bigger element of contribution than just their raw sum of power. It benefits the classes way too differently, especially as long as the MM is so brief. It completely subverts a core, balanced spell, Conjure Celestial. Did you stop to wonder why clerics seemed to get the shaft on summoning? It's not just because it doesn't fit their class identity as much as the others. Look at the spells that celestial creatures have access to. When the devs say that summoning a unicorn for a while is a Lv9 spell, you should think twice before making it Lv5, and couatls are no better. They bring Lv5 spells with them, man. 5E toned summoning down very intentionally.
Thunderous Shot: See Searing Shot. Then, if your argument is the utility of a push, see Ensnaring Strike. If a ranger wants utility, specifically position control utility, he already has it way better than this, and it gets DPS, too. I suppose that this is a comparatively harmless addition, since adding one bit of damage versatility would make them suck less, and it's not like it's psychic or force.
Ventriloquism: Minor Illusion already does this.
Wrathful Shot: This one is psychic. I don't think that this is the way to fix rangers. Feel free to try it, but it feels dirty, to me.

I'll have more later, but I have to get some shut-eye and play games today, so I'll just get this ball rolling.

Nitpicks:
You capitalize damage types. Is there a reason for that? Action, schools . . . There's lots of odd formatting/grammar.
You have a lot of durations above components.
Many instances of "Instantaneous" are here shown as "Instant."
You're missing a parenthesis near the end of Earth Blast.
I prefer the name of Hand of Blight to be Blightclaw, but that's just personal preference.
There are other English corrections, but I'll hold those unless you ask for them.

As long as I brought up Lightning Lure, can anyone tell me where I would find the answer to this? Since you can move and cast at the same time, would it be possible to cast Lightning Lure and move away while the target is moving to prevent damage from occurring? That could be nice for helping allies.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Dazzle feels like it's stepping on the bard's territory. Are you going to give a cover-ignoring cantrip (clerics), a multi-hitter (warlocks), a puller (druids and also sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards with the inclusion of Lightning Lure), a weapon transmutation (druids), and so on to everyone? At their core, cantrips are equal, and splicing is already possible, so this may not seem like a big deal. Still, I wonder why we're so eager to cross class identities in cantrips.
Earth Blast doesn't specify "other" before "creatures" for the DEX save. Is that intentional? Seems strong, but since both parts have to "work" to get that strength, I guess that it's okay . . . What I don't like about it is that it involves multiple rolls on a cantrip, which is something that the devs very intentionally avoided to keep game flow pretty fast on the small stuff. What about just turning this into Melf's Minute Meteors, but in bludgeoning, not fire, and with the school changed to conjuration? Come to think of it, this is a 60' cantrip, and I think that it should be 30' for a couple of reasons: Druids don't get decently ranged cantrips, so they're forced to either chase and Thorn Whip (perhaps with Longstrider), Wild Shape and chase, or plug away with leveled spells. Even with a feat, only Thorn Whip gets another 30 feet. I mean, who wants to throw/sling something with disadvantage? Screw that. Anyway, Earth Blast alleviates that, but I don't think that it should; I think that it's an intentional limit on how druids play. The other reason is just practicality. If you want to feel like an earth bender from Avatar, that's cool and all, but those without military training didn't have much accuracy beyond short ranges, either.
Why is Hand of Blight not a sorcerer thing?
Lance of Faith: Make it 120'. At 90', it's not worth taking up a cantrip slot over just shooting light crossbows (which hit harder), and it sure isn't worth the "no cover" part of Sacred Flame.
Lightning Lash: http://www.dnd-spells.com/spell/lightning-lure
Push/Pull: First, your scaling numbers are off. Now, the real problem: Like many others, you're vastly undervaluing the power of position control. Druids have all sorts of difficult terrain (Plant Growth's the best.) and some moving spells, but that's to compensate for their range deficiency. At the cantrip level, Thorn Whip has the disadvantage of hurting people that you want to harmlessly move, it only pulls, the distance doesn't scale, and it has a low range limit. Repelling Blast is a thing, but it requires multiple hits to get good distance, and I'm spending an entire Eldritch Invocation on a rider effect, so I'd damn-well better get some value. This, on the other hand, freely provides two attacks worth of the shove action or a Charger shove (and at an easily failed saving throw, rather than a "my choice" Athletics/Acrobatics check against your Athletics check) and scales up so that you can kite for days, especially with Ray of Frost to slow them as they approach and shots with longer ranges for when they give up and start fleeing, which arcane casters have. With some speed-improving transmutations, casters can already kite pretty well, but this gives a huge boost for free.
Rainbow Bolt: Okay, I get where you're going with it, and I'd be willing to do two rolls for one cantrip sometimes (playing with the mentality that I usually cast my better, more consistent cantrips, but move to this when I'm feeling whimsical or want to try for a damage type that I don't normally get) for it, but I don't get your damage type selection. If you're going to include force and psychic, which are infrequently resisted, why not all ten? Also, this shouldn't be a druid thing. First, it's the range thing again. Second, druids are very damage type-starved for the first few levels, which is intentional and an offset for their damage versatility from Wild Shape. Third, flavorfully, this is not a natural rainbow thing, but a rainbow-colored burst of arcane (I don't really see it fitting with the cleric's identity, either, but the cleric's identity is already very flexible, so whatever.) power.
Read Magic: In an earlier version, sure. Now, this is way out of line. You're circumventing too many things: INT (Arcana) checks to cast spell scrolls of a higher level than you can normally cast, INT (Arcana) checks to read other magical junk (and INT skills are already either drastically undervalued or severely overvalued, depending on your DM, so throwing another element into the mix is just messy), and especially the hard limit in the DMG that you can't cast from a spell scroll if the spell isn't on your class list.
Static Shock: The range is odd. It's another two rolls in one cantrip. I still don't know if the initial target is included; I'd assume so, as is the case with Ice Knife, but you don't have it worded that way. If not, it's too weak, as it needs a cluster of at least 3 just to slightly outperform Acid Splash, which will be taken for its superior range and more consistent power as well as the potential to still work better when your DM says, "This is a swarm of tiny creatures in one square, so I'll apply the damage to each that fails the save."
Stonefist: It seems fine, but why is it available to non-druids?
Summon Instrument: It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it circumvents the expenses and encumbrance that is usually associated with the bard's spellcasting focus and favored tool(s). Just freely summoning them feels like a stomp to the flavor, it offers something special in that the caster can't be deprived of a spellcasting focus ever, and its offer of recompense is that it's otherwise a waste of a cantrip slot. I suppose that I see the trade-off in that, but feelings are very mixed. The nice thing about homebrew material is that the DM has plenty of inclination to say "no" right out the gate, but we are trying to make these compatible with as many tables as possible, right?
Ethereal Shield trades a cantrip slot and extra expense for a little bit of encumbrance. This feels like an even bigger waste than Light when you already know that another caster has that. As an aside, cantrips with expensive material components seems like a silly idea.
Ethereal Weapon, on the other hand, offers way too much versatility for one cantrip. Yes, the bigger parts of Pact of the Blade are magical damage penetration and automatic proficiency, but clerics, especially Death and War clerics, already have plenty of proficiency, and druids have enough.
Vigor: Give it a duration of 1 or 10 minutes, at least. False Life's temp HP go away after an hour. The dropped efficiency of an HD seems like a reasonable cost for a "healing" (I know that it doesn't restore consciousness.) cantrip, but also being able to use it as a no-duration buffer whose only cost is HD that you won't be using on a restless day or the excess HD that you don't need to burn on your short rests is basically free HP.
Nice work on the other cantrips and on not making anything that goes overboard on DPS like that Greenflame Blade crap that SCA gave us migraines with.

Much feedback, so let's begin:
Dazzle (and all the similar alternate-versions-of-other-classes-cantrips mostly exist for variety, since cleric/bard didn't get any kind of attack roll cantrip, wizards/friends didn't get a pull, etc. I've been intending to remove lightning lash ever since SCAG came round, just hadn't gotten to it :(.

I like the idea of earth blast functioning similar to one of the meteors from 3M, I hadn't considered that. It will fit in well with my intentions of adding more save cantrips instead of more attack roll cantrips.

Hand of blight I hadn't added to sorc because at the time it didn't feel like a sorc spell (ive been meaning to go back and revisit every single one of these with that very question in mind)

Lance of Faith: I agree, should be longer range to keep up with similar cantrips, another issue ive been noting among my cantrips on a larger scale.

I'm still unsure of the true balance of push/pull, because there's so little to truly compare it against. I think you're right about the kiting thing though, I hadn't considered that aspect of movement type spells. I'll probably end up just scrapping it since there's no true purpose to it.

For rainbow bolt I had similar thoughts, probably going to make it available to bards and take it from druids when i revisit the spells lists.

Read Magic: Yep, basically. Probably shouldve removed it a while ago, but I hadnt bothered :l

Static Shock: I've been thinking about removing this, both because of its complexity and its overlap with earth blast (which will probably change soon thanks to your inputs above :) )

Ethereal XXXX/ Summon instrument: Another set I've been considering giving the ax, just to slim down the list a bit. Most of them are barely replacements for just carrying the thing anyway.

Vigor: I agree, should have duration. It seems like an obvious thing to include now that its been pointed out, though TBH in playtesting it almost never came up

Armaments of the Forest should make the equipment magical. It's magical equipment, and this is otherwise too tiny a step up from Shillelagh (which doesn't require concentration, so maybe not even a step up at all) to be a Lv1 spell.
Arrowmind: "Threat range" is not a thing in 5E. The phrasing that you're looking for is this: "While wielding a shortbow or longbow, you are considered to have a reach of 5 feet for the purposes of making opportunity attacks, which you perform by shooting arrows. You don't have disadvantage on ranged attack rolls with shortbows and longbows due to firing within 5 feet of a conscious, hostile creature." Next, give it a 10 minute duration at Lv2. Lv3 for 10 minutes of this little stuff is too expensive, much less Lv5. Finally, you should really consider making this a feat, not a spell.
Buoyancy has a fatal flaw: It requires a V component. Style it more after Feather Fall; have it be S, M to Feather Fall's V, M. Speaking of the components, if it doesn't have a cost, don't needlessly say that the spell consumes it. Lastly, the answer to Goemoe's question is this: You're either holding a spell component pouch or spellcasting focus all the time, which means that any non-costly M component is pure flavor, and costly components don't have any mechanical difference, either, other than having a cost. Drawing components is an automatic part of casting spells that does not require an action or your free item interaction for the turn. This is already a part of core rules and is how Feather Fall works, so this should, too.
Chameleon's cool and all, but largely impractical. Whether you cast this or take the hide action, you do so before you're seen, so this is nothing at all as long as you have cover to hide behind. It's nice when there's no cover or you expect the enemy to search behind the cover that is present, but I wouldn't waste a learned spell slot on it for that.
Erase: No, you don't get to use a Lv2 spell, Find Traps, and a Lv1 spell, Erase, to counter my Lv3 spell. That's not how it works. Lv3 spells are more than twice as good as a Lv1 and a Lv2 put together, so hard-countering like that while simultaneously getting to search for other traps is cheesy. It was an intended interaction in the differently balanced and unbalanced editions of yore, but it doesn't belong here.
Explosion: Compare to Earth Tremor (EE). Explosion has more damage, more damage scaling, force damage, more range, and a non-self range that can be enhanced by Distant Spell. They both have one of the strongest rider effects at low levels, the prone status. Earth Tremor can leave difficult terrain. Keeping it at Lv1, giving it 1d4 initial damage, but keeping the 2d4 scaling would make this look much more right.
Fire Arrow is pretty redundant. EE already has a Flame Arrows spell. It sucks, but it's a thing. At Lv3, there's the much more impressive Lightning Arrow. Also, you're making a Lv1 spell for a ranger? You can't really compete with Hunter's Mark without either defying class identity or going overboard, so I mostly recommend giving up on that premise. If you want more ranger spells, expand its higher levels a bit.
Hush is more complex than it looks. You're effectively invisible to creatures that rely on hearing to track others, which is a lot more than +5. I find it odd that you're using a +, not advantage, as 5E likes to simplify things that way. Advantage and +5 are equivalent, too, as passive perception tells us. I don't like the idea of using a spell slot and prepared/known slot on a spell that just deals with an ability check. 5E tried to get away from the plethora of entirely too specific and either UP or OP skill spells of previous versions. If you want to be more stealthy, either be a stealthier character or get a Lv2 spell, Enhance Ability or Invisibility.
Listening Coin: That's a very efficient spying spell. Too efficient for Lv1, really, even if it mandated concentration. For comparison's sake, here is Aud, a spell for a custom class that underwent much discussion and revision:

Aud - Divination 2, Scribe, Ritual
Range: Touch
Components: V, M (a tiny microphone, headphone, speaker, or strip of recording tape, and magical ink worth at least 100 gp)
Duration: 10 minutes
The target, which can be an object or creature, becomes an auditory sensor for the caster, recording every sound and storing them as a file deep within your subconscious mind, allowing you to recall the track perfectly at will. The file is recorded through your hearing as though you were in the same space as the sensor. Illusions that you disbelieve (any that you have succeeded at a saving throw or ability check against, any that you cast, and any that you witnessed someone else cast) are heard with distinct chimes that clearly mark them as illusory. The same file can be accompanied by a narrative, often a title or brief (no longer than this sentence) description of the depicted content, at the beginning, and it may have another at the end. It always has a timestamp. This spell can be dismissed as an action.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of a higher level, its duration rises to 1 hour, 8 hours, 24 hours, 10 days, 30 days, 180 days, and one year and a day.

Remove Fear: See Calm Emotions.
Sandblaster is completely out of line. Compare to Burning Hands. The average damage is 3 lower. The scaling is a tiny bit better; rather than 3.5 average damage per level, it's 7.5 per two (3.75 > 3.5). The damage is slashing, which is resisted much less than fire, and which sorcerers and wizards have little access to. It then tacks on a one-round blindness rider, which is about as mean or meaner than knocking prone. This is several stages of being objectively better and an auto-pick 1st-level spell.
Scare: First, this should be a WIS save, as we see in every other instance of fear-causing effects with saving throws. Now, balancing it . . . Okay, when compared to Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Fear, it looks fine. Two things that I would change: Just to make it consistent with the eponymous ability of the quasit would be to take out the auto-success when out of sight and in stead give disadvantage when within line of sight. Second, the multi-targeting scaling should require 30-foot proximity, as per Hold Person. Oh, right, its identity. Clerics? Okay, if you want to take tradition over their new identity, it's harmless enough; again, the cleric identity is more flexible than others, and this is a Lv1 spell, so no biggie. Druid? No. Why druid? Completely unfitting. Why not bard and sorcerer? Those two absolutely should have this.
Scorching Burst: First, do we need more "I hit you" spells? Second, really, do we need more "I burn you" spells? Fire damage is so oft-resisted that people drop most fire spells before third tier, as it is. Third, this hits way too hard. 3d8 on a single target is reserved for Catapult, which requires an object to shoot (not a hard cost, sure, but at least it's something that the DM can use against you if you spam it), and Chromatic Orb, which is great, but requires a diamond. More importantly, neither of those deal half on a whiff. Hitting multiple targets, even within a small radius, for 3d8 and whiff for half is more of a Lv2 think, like Shatter. A smaller radius (even though this one basically just means "two side-by-side creatures" most of the time) and fire damage is not enough to justify being a full level lower. Finally, that's not how scaling works. That scaling is so weak that this spell turns out to be OP at Lv1 and unusable at anything higher. At Lv2, you already do better with Aganazzar's Scorcher. See, too many burn spells.
Searing Light: This one is so wildly variable. I can see why the devs didn't get any sillier with type discrepancy than disadvantage to saving throws for Sunbeam and Sunburst. On its low, it's okay. The rider effect is meh. I mean, that's why we have alchemist's fire, acid, and other casters, right? On its high, though, you get a truly stupid high amount of burst damage. In its current state, as a DM that makes a lot of custom oozes and having played under a DM that spams undead, this spell discomforts me, and I would expect most other DMs with knowledge of game balance to be displeased, too. If you in stead gave yourself advantage on the attack roll against those guys, and sure, go ahead and make it deal half damage on a miss (Some of the radiance pulses out as the bolt passes by.) to undead and oozes, and it'd be totally fine.
Searing Shot: Why? Paladins already- Well, you know. Rangers don't need this. When they want to deal more damage by spending a first-level spell, they use Hunter's Mark. If they specifically want fire damage, they get one of the following answers: A) Tough. You're a ranger. You don't get elemental versatility in spells. You go pew pew. You pew pew well and have other nice things about your class. That's not one of them. B) I see that you have a flask of alchemist's fire. Ever considered delivery by arrow? You get a free item interaction to draw it after you take your shots, then you can tie it on as your free interaction on the next turn, or you can use your action this turn. C) That's why there's a Flame Arrows spell. Yes, it is sucky and expensive for you. That's what it costs to cross your class identity that I described in the first answer.
Snowshoes: The speed boost is unfitting. Also, the spell is enough without the situational Longstrider thrown in. I think that an easier way to go about this would be more like this: "You touch a creature and cause frosty terrain to shift accommodatingly beneath it. The creature can move across difficult terrain created by ice or snow without spending extra movement and doesn't need to make Dexterity checks to avoid slipping on or cracking ice. The creature leaves almost no trace in such terrain, so the base DC to track it across ice or snow is 25." Terrain-based saves are up to DM discretion in the first place, so this spell will either give advantage, have no effect, or give an auto-pass on a case-by-case basis that is determined by the DM no matter how you write it. As for tracking, the rules on that are in the DMG, and the DC that I picked was that of bare stone + having passed a day ago (20 + 5).
Summons: Oh, no. Opening the whole MM and then some (up to a CR limit) to a class before Lv7 (Polymorph) is a big deal. Polymorph, really, is a big deal, but this just takes that and expands on it with level diversity plus the fact that you're making a party larger. There's a reason for CRs being multiplied the way that they are when you fight mobs of multiple foes: Having more creatures that can attack and take hits at a time provides a bigger element of contribution than just their raw sum of power. It benefits the classes way too differently, especially as long as the MM is so brief. It completely subverts a core, balanced spell, Conjure Celestial. Did you stop to wonder why clerics seemed to get the shaft on summoning? It's not just because it doesn't fit their class identity as much as the others. Look at the spells that celestial creatures have access to. When the devs say that summoning a unicorn for a while is a Lv9 spell, you should think twice before making it Lv5, and couatls are no better. They bring Lv5 spells with them, man. 5E toned summoning down very intentionally.
Thunderous Shot: See Searing Shot. Then, if your argument is the utility of a push, see Ensnaring Strike. If a ranger wants utility, specifically position control utility, he already has it way better than this, and it gets DPS, too. I suppose that this is a comparatively harmless addition, since adding one bit of damage versatility would make them suck less, and it's not like it's psychic or force.
Ventriloquism: Minor Illusion already does this.
Wrathful Shot: This one is psychic. I don't think that this is the way to fix rangers. Feel free to try it, but it feels dirty, to me.

I'll have more later, but I have to get some shut-eye and play games today, so I'll just get this ball rolling.

Armaments of the Forest: I think equipment created by a spell already counts as magic (I remember reading a tweet about it, dont remember the context though) but I can clarify the language some more.

Arrowmind: Many good points, especially the last one. This is one of the spells I converted to 5e as a request for a player of mine, but I never truly saw the point of it either. I'll probably remove it and just keep a separate version saved somewhere

Buoyancy: Tru dat, I'll get it changed.

Chameleon: I see what you're saying, I probably wouldn't either, but it could still help if there's no cover available, the area is well lit, etc. Still really situational, but there are other spells way more situational than this one imo.

Erase: I'll probably just remove this one, you're right in that theres not much place for it in 5e, just like with alot of the spells from 3.x. Usually when I convert them I look more for unfilled niches, whether that niche really needs filling or not, usually for the sake of variety.

Explosion: My impression was that earth tremor was pretty weak as it is, so being above that is probably where it should be. Even so, I think youre right that it should be reduced. I'll probably change it to 1d4+1/spell level to keep it mostly on-par ish with Magic Missile

Fire Arrow was added in a time where I was adding spells for use by an Arcane Archer class I was working on, as were all the "shot" spells. I probably don't need them anymore, will just move them over to the document for the AA and remove them here.

Hush was already iffy to me on if it should be a spell at all. TBH I only added it cause it sounded neat. This will probably go in the coming trimming.

Listening Coin: I've only recently added this one, but I think you're right. I'll move it to 2nd level just to be safe.

Remove Fear: I hadnt realize calm emotions had almost the same effect. I'll just remove this one then.

Sandblaster: Commenters on other sites also brought up the blindness rider and wizard access, most of the changes suggested were removing it from the wizard list and changing it to disadv. on the next attack roll, like frostbite, so thats what ill probably do.

Scare: I didnt know the quasit had a similar ability, ill check that one out. as for the spell identity... I mentioned above ive been meaning to do a proper sweep of this sort of thing.

Scorching Burst: I agree on the too-many-blowing-up spells. I'll probably end up removing this and many others like it soon.

Searing Light: I can see the half-damage on miss vs undeads/oozes as being more reasonable than almost double damage :l honestly looking through these spells after so long makes wonder what i was thinking when i made them :(

Searing Shot: see Fire Arrow

Snowshoes: good points, I'll include the suggested changes

Summons: This is a whole can of worms all by itself on other sites, and I'm already working on adjusting/removing it, probably to a much higher spell level to compensate for versatility.

Thunderous shot: See fire arrow

Ventriloquism: I find that many of the spells I adapt to 5e already have their function included in another spell or feature (i.e., remove fear) I'll just remove this one too

Wrathful Shot: again

Nitpicks:
You capitalize damage types. Is there a reason for that? Action, schools . . . There's lots of odd formatting/grammar.
You have a lot of durations above components.
Many instances of "Instantaneous" are here shown as "Instant."
You're missing a parenthesis near the end of Earth Blast.
I prefer the name of Hand of Blight to be Blightclaw, but that's just personal preference.
There are other English corrections, but I'll hold those unless you ask for them.

As long as I brought up Lightning Lure, can anyone tell me where I would find the answer to this? Since you can move and cast at the same time, would it be possible to cast Lightning Lure and move away while the target is moving to prevent damage from occurring? That could be nice for helping allies.

I capitalize damage types out of habit, usually.
Durations above components I've tried to fix, but there's a lot I've missed probably.
Instant instead of Instantaneous is intentional on my part because its easier to type (lazy, lol) The only few times Instantaneous is used is for three of the cantrips, probably cause it auto-filled them in at some point
Ive noted the more minor grammatical changes you've pointed out
Blightclaw is way cooler, I agree.

As far as Lightning Lure, I think the whole effect happens before you get the chance to move, but that might be up to your DM.

Thanks for all the feedback, usually the only way I can change the spells for balance is from feedback or playtesting, and you can only do so much playtesting in one weekend ._.

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
Earth Blast: I meant that you could just take MMM, give it this name, change its school (likely transmutation, but conjuration works if you summon rocks in stead of using the ground), turn the range to 90 feet, replace "meteor" with "boulder," replace "fire" with "bludgeoning," slap it onto the druid list, and call it good. It doesn't make a wombo combo with Call Lightning because both require concentration. If you want it to remain a cantrip, take Acid Splash renamed, make the damage bludgeoning, drop its range to 30 feet, give it to druids, sorcerers, and wizards, and bam, done.
I think that it'll be hard to make more lightning cantrips without redundancy mainly because Shocking Grasp is so good. People say that the range doesn't sit well with them, but melee attacks don't have disadvantage when the target is next to an ally, when you're next to an enemy, and deal with cover less often. People forget about those things.

Since the only spells that can create weaponry are Alter Self (natural weapons, magical specified), Fabricate (if you're proficient in the appropriate tools, nonmagical specified), Stone Shape (unspecified, but if your DM allows you to make it a magical weapon, (s)he's stupid and bad), and Wish (. . .), I don't think that that's a thing.

Explosion: Earth Tremor's weak if you think that you can stomp and kill everyone around you. That's Thunderwave's job, ahaha! Okay, but really, Earth Tremor doesn't look as good to you (i.e. your table) because you're not using it right. Its power is commensurate with the melee attackers that you have, as it involves the prone condition.
Run into a group. Knock 'em down. Your allies follow up with melee attacks with advantage, power attacking, Sneak Attacking, and otherwise just laying a beatdown. We didn't get put in an initiative order for this? That's what the "Ready" action is for. Oops, there goes half the enemies in the first round because their durability is based more on AC than HP, and advantage is great.
Are you trying to run away? Are spells that mitigate movement by 10 feet (Ray of Frost, one beam of Repelling Blast, Thunderwave . . .) just not enough? Know what is? Knocking someone down to make them spend half their movement getting up, then giving them 20 feet (10-foot radius = 20-foot diameter, so just nail them with one edge and keep running in the same direction) of difficult terrain to mull through. A 30' speed guy just got 25' this round, 1d6 damage, you still got your movement, and that's without help.
Yeah, if every encounter is something that you can handle, minor encounters never occur to slow you down when you're in a hurry to get somewhere, and no one ever has to make fight-or-flight choices, Earth Tremor looks like crap. With kiting actually meaning something, it still doesn't look fantastic, but it looks worthy of a 1st-level slot. I can agree that making a spell just above Earth Tremor may be fine, but Explosion has entirely too much going for it.

Hush: It does sound neat. Call the next Boots of Elvenkind that you hand out "Hushing Boots."

Listening Coin: That beginning duration still sounds too generous to me, but moving it to Lv2 is a good start.

Wizards already get access to most things, so that part of Sandblaster didn't bother me. It's the fact that it was just too good for a Lv1 spell.

I want to move on to the next level, but life is hard and bed is soft . . .

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
UPDATED (2/29/2016):
v1.20 (2/29/2016) Some class spell list changes, and some balancing fixes:

0-Level (Cantrips)
Removed: Lightning Lash, Push/Pull, Read Magic, Summon Instrument, Ethereal Shield, Ethereal Weapon.
Hand of Blight: name changed to Blightclaw
Earth Blast: Removed from Wizard list. Mechanic changed. Range reduced to 30. Now uses d6's instead of d4's
Ice Jet: Range increased to 90 feet.
Rainbow Bolt: Removed from Druid List, Added to Warlock and Bard lists. Added 2 additional damage types to the table to make it a d8 roll. Range increased to 90 feet.
Static Shock: Range changes to 60 feet, damage to initial target changed to 1d6 instead of 1d4.
Stonefist: Removed from Wizard list.
Vigor: Duration changes to 10 minutes, now includes CON mod in the THP
Zen Archery: Changed to Concentration.

1st Level
Removed: Arrowmind, Erase, Fire Arrow, Hush, Remove Fear, Scorching Burst, Searing Shot, Thunderous Shot, Ventriloquism, Wrathful Shot.
Armaments of the Forest: Language changed to specify that the weapons are magical for the purpose of defeating damage resistance. Duration increased to 10 minutes
Buoyancy: Removed Verbal component. Material component no longer consumed.
Explosion: Damage changed to 1d4+1 at 1st level, and slot level scaling has been changed to match it.
Listening Coin: Moved to 2nd level. Added concentration. Changed slot level scaling.
Sandblaster: Removed the blindness rider completely.
Searing Light: Now includes advantage for the attack roll against undeads and oozes. Now does half damage to undead/oozes on a miss instead of 2d6 additional damage. Slot level scaling has been changed to reflect this.
Snowshoes: Added to Wizard spell list. Range changed from Touch to 10 feet. Language changed to make it more useful in more situations. Added level scaling to affect more targets.
Summons: Moved to 6th level. Base CR changed to 3. Removed from Warlock spell list. Druid additional creature types changed from plant/monstrosity to plant/elemental (more changes will probably be needed)

2nd Level
Removed: Battering Ram, Branding Shot, Toxic Arrow.
Arrow of Light: Line length changed to 60 feet.
Astral Seal: Healing changed to 1d8 from 1d6.
Aura of Deflection: Added to Bard, Cleric spell lists.
Battle Hymn: Added to paladin spell list.
Binding Winds: Now only affects weapon attacks, melee attacks can be made but with disadvantage.
Creeping Cold: Material component no longer has GP requirement.
Chill Metal: No longer includes a clause about dropping worn armor.
Entangling Force: Duration changed to 1 Minute. Changed the automatic damage clause to no longer require action by the caster.
Ice Axe: Added to Ranger spell list.
Pull of the Abyss: Casting time changed to 1 Action. Slot level scaling slightly reduced.
Repel: Added save for creature impact damage, changed slot scaling text to be more accurate.

3rd Level
Removed: Blinding Shot, Tree Shape.
Acid Sheath: Casting Time changed to 1 action. Language changed to be more clear about when Acid damage is taken.
Aura of Repulsion: Duration changed to 10 minutes. Changed from Wisdom to Strength checks. Removed slot level scaling.
Cyclone Blast: Removed from Warlock spell list, added to Wizard spell list.
Supercharge: Language changed to make clear when the spell ends.

4th Level
Removed: Flamepath, Rimefire Arrow, Staggering Shot.
Absolution: Reduced slot level scaling from 10 to 5.
Aura of Evasion: Range reduced to 30 Feet (from 40).
Commune with Stone: Removed the Ritual tag.
Hammer of the Gods: AoE radius reduced to 15 feet (from 20)
Warmind: Added language that specifies the ending of the spell when you no longer are holding the bonded weapon.

5th Level
Removed: Banishing Shot, Earth Rupture, Shadow Evocation, Zealot's Fire.
Astral Shield: Casting Time changed from 1 Round to 1 Action
Mark of Justice: Removed section about the target being restrained.

6th Level
Removed: Darkflame Blast, Forcewave, Gembomb.
Frost Aura: Removed slot level scaling

7th Level
Removed: Ball Lightning.

8th Level
Removed: Drown.
Deep Freeze: Added clause about disadvantage on saving throws if vulnerable to Cold or made of water.

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
First, I should comment on the "Arcane Archer" that half of everyone is trying to make:
Eldritch Knight already is an arcane archer. It just isn't stuck in archery. If you want, you could make it more archery-flavored as seen in the next paragraph, but it already has the mechanics that you want.
Reflavor an arcane caster. When you cast a spell for the first time, give an archery description. Eldritch Blast example: "As my hands raise, a bow of eldritch energy, which appears to be whorls of violet and pitch black with crackles of red lightning running across it, forms in my hands. An arrow of matching energy forms knocked on it, my right hand releases the string of arcane energy, and the bolt spirals toward the goblin with a disturbing whirring noise." Make it a greatbow for Agonizing Blast, give it extra wings and doodads for Repelling Blast and Eldritch Spear, give similar descriptions for other stuff, done. Optionally, add Bracers of Archery or downtime training for proficiency with shortbow, then maybe for longbow, if you want to go pew pew when you're not casting, too.
Reflavor a ranger. If you want to change the WIS to INT or CHA, be my guest; that doesn't break anything but the ranger's flavor, which is what we're trying to do. Call your spells arcane in stead of divine. Yeah, most arcane casters can't evoke positive energy, but I guess that you're not "most" arcanists, are you? Okay, sure, if you want, you can harmlessly trade out Cure Wounds for . . . Witch Bolt, Guiding Bolt, or Thunderwave. Probably Thunderwave, really.
Reflavor a paladin and change every instance of "melee" to "ranged" on the class abilities and spells. (S)he still gets locked into one or the other, right? Seems harmless. I mean, the DM still has something to use against you: It's either range (classic pally) or resistance to piercing/the ability to run up to your face and have higher DPS via melee (new pally). I wouldn't adjust other class features to compliment it except for allowing Archery as a fighting style selection because duh.
Reflavor a war cleric to be arcane. Again, maybe switch to INT or CHA, if you don't like the idea of an arcanist whose understanding of manipulating the Weave is more of an extension of his/her broad, applied cunning, but yeah, done.
A druid or arcane trickster can be rehashed the same as an arcane caster above; it just fits the classic Arcane Archer ideal a bit less.
A rogue's or barbar's features can be reflavored as arcane wards, enhancements, infusions of arcane energy into their attacks, and such. Again, you don't even have to touch the mechanics; you just get used to a different kind of arcane archer than previous editions had. Barbars can already shoot bows without bracers or training, too.
Monks are the only class that really proposes a challenge, but you can still make them fit the bill like rogues or barbars.

People keep trying to make "Arcane Archer" its own class, and they end up making it 70% Eldritch Knight, 40% wizard, 20% paladin, and +1 powerful class feature. Chances are that people aren't going to come up with a cool, balanced version. If they're so hooked on the flavor, it's really easy to just plaster the flavor onto another class.

Now, back to cantrips . . .
Dazzle still irks me. Most classes aren't given radiant damage without splicing; you bring either a cleric, a really good druid, a paladin, or a lot of extra holy water flasks, 'cause radiant damage has some really great interactions with some creatures (e.g. zombies and shadows). Though there are sometimes workarounds (e.g. critical hits, which you automatically inflict on unconscious foes within 5 feet, or dealing enough damage by other means that you don't need to take advantage of vulnerabilities), it's a good sense measure. Handing out radiant damage to basically everyone shifts things a lot. Maybe it's harmless. It's a great rider effect, but it is d4s, and the rider doesn't stack, so maybe it's not going to make a big difference. I just . . . can't put my finger on it. Please, remember to report back on how it goes in playtesting, and give explicit details (party compositions, any terrain advantage, what foes were used, so on), 'cause I want to see whether or not it trivializes some weak encounters too much or makes would-be challenges normal or easy. One thing that I would suggest by looking at the spell lists, whether this gets changed in any other way or not, is taking it from warlock and giving it to sorcerer.
Ice Jet: 90 feet of cantrip range to a druid, huh? I dunno'. This is harder than it looks because you're trying to make it look worthwhile to a sorcewizalock (Oh, wait. Still need to add warlock.), but druids have that range paradigm. Well, there are three exceptions in Lv2 spells, which come early enough, so I suppose that throwing them an extra 30 or 60 feet in free range is okay as long as we're dealing with low numbers like 2d4 (average 5). I'm tempted to suggest dropping this to 60 feet again, but do some low-level druid playtesting, see if it comes up too often, and report back, eh? Ask your players if they feel like you're giving them a variety of ranges to work from, as opposed to the "every fight is in a 40*40*40 room" setup that the DM of a friend is running . . .
I like the new Rainbow Bolt, but things that still get me about it are that it's too much damage for a bard cantrip and it doesn't fit warlocks. Bards are very strictly limited in their cantrip damage without being pseudo-wizards (Lore bards) and giving up much better spells, so I was hesitant to even accept Concussive Chord, but this, allowing them to potentially hit vulnerabilities, get through resistances, work with more range, and have a higher base power . . . Maybe at 60' range and on d6s, it'd be okay.
Static Shock: That's better. It's still objectively better than Acid Splash, though. It covers a wider area, so it's not like we're looking at a typical two targets and taking 1 damage from one to the other; we're actually looking at the potential of more targets being hit. I hear you asking, "What's the difference between 5 and 5?" It's the difference between being 5 feet from a 0-diameter point in space (I put Acid Splash on this corner or this side of these two squares. I hit this cluster of four dumbasses or these two side-by-side guys.) and 5 feet out from a creature (All eight that were trying to protect the center guy are hit. Hey, look, a bigger target . . . with so many more squared around it to fill in smaller targets.), which is accounted for in the leveled spells' balance, but a clear advantage on Static Shock's part in cantrips. I see two ways that, to me, fix this: 1) Make it another Acid Splash dupe. Guaranteed to be harmless in balance and accomplishes your goal of more save-based cantrips, but redundant redundancy is redundant. B) As I did, take out the "including the original target" part and put "other" before "creatures" in that line. The main target is only taking a d6, which is appropriate for an area cantrip.
I really don't like the idea of Vigor including the CON mod, now. A DM is kinda' supposed to be able to throw a high-action day that gives the party little chance to rest. It gives them a little challenge by reducing their healing across the day, or at least making the timing less convenient than "Whenever we run low, let's take a break," you know? It's supposed to be a thing that happens. Of course, short rest class features are a major part of that, too, but so's the healing. This gives a player the agency to say, "I'm going to burn a cantrip to make sure that one of your DM tools doesn't work the way that you want it to," much like a cantrip that makes you automatically succeed on certain ability checks. Oh, also, this feels like a transmutation to me; you turn part of the target's vitality into a more presently applicable kind, rather than evoking positive energy to just give them more vitality.
I like the other cantrip changes.
This is hard, I know. Cantrips are really hard to deal with without stepping on boundaries that are intentionally built in, but easy to overlook at a glance.

I'd move on, but there's a storm in my area, and I really don't want to have to redo one of these blasted posts again. The site's little auto-saving feature doesn't do me any favors when I have no way to save or access drafts.

Noah Ivaldi

First Post
Armaments of the Forest: This could really stand a language clean-up (I'll do that for ya' later.), but it otherwise looks good, now.
Buoyancy: I still say that this should be a reaction, which you take in response to a creature sinking.
Explosion: This looks better. I see that you based part of it on Thunderous Smite, but with half the average damage and pushing range to compensate for the range, lack of concentration, autohit on the damage, and scaling potential. I like it.
Sandblaster needs to lose the second clause of its first sentence and doesn't belong with rangers. They're supposed to suck at AoE damage and not even have access to it for the first tier of play unless you count Hail of Thorns, and it doesn't fit their identity of attack style. Anyway, yeah, come to think of it, just getting rid of the rider effect altogether is best.
Searing Light is much cooler now, but it still has some fundamental flaws: At lower levels, Guiding Bolt is way better. By the time that its better scaling catches up, Flame Strike was one spell level ago. Searing Light's only argument is its janky "I stop some trolls from regenerating and, uh, some custom monsters . . ." which Guiding Bolt answers with, "I give advantage to the next attack, which can be an ally's fire attack or a toss of an alchemist's fire flask." Searing Light now has its own identity as a discriminatory, radiant attack like the druid's sun crap (should probably be on the druid list, too), but where is its use?
I gave Snowshoes the M component of a rabbit's foot. I think that bumping it to 10 feet of range is a good idea.

Angelskin: I changed the "silvery glitter" to "powdered silver." I suggest making it 1 action (It's not like every spell for paladins has to be a bonus action. Their smites are, sure, but not the rest of them.) and changing the last part to this: ". . . disadvantage on attack rolls and melee damage rolls against you." It doesn't make sense for this Lv2 abjuration to block half a giant spell, nor spells at all unless they involve melee attacks.

Arc of Lightning: Oh, wow . . . I can see how you got there from Lightning Bolt, but you have to understand that Lv3, Lv6, and Lv9 spells are in completely separate tiers from their predecessors, so you have to compare spells within the same tier at least and preferably at the same level. Flaming Sphere would have to last four rounds (conc) and use your bonus action on each, including the first, to catch up to what Arc does to two enemies, plus another two rounds for everyone else that Arc catches, and enemies would need to be unable/too dumb to scatter. Spiritual Weapon only barely outperforms with a +3 spellcasting modifier, but deals nothing on a miss. Scorching Ray, which is held in high regard for its burst damage, doesn't even come close to what Arc does, and misses do nothing. Then, this gets a rider effect on top. It's more comparable to a single round of Wall of Fire, a Lv4 spell. If you took it down to 2d6 and took off the rider effect, it'd still be a great spell, one that I would frequently take in preference over Scorching Ray. Finally, this is not a druid thing.

Arrow of Light: See Arc of Lightning. Replace "druid" with "ranger." Compound the fact that linear spells causing DEX saves is a common sense thing: People see you cast the spell, then they have a moment to see where you're aiming and how to shield themselves from the blow. If you really want the "attack roll vs. all" function, I'm not gonna' stop you, but it's unorthadox, at the least. Perhaps more notably, though, you need to add a line that creatures within the line do not benefit from half or three-fourths cover, or none at all, which makes this even more ridiculously powerful.

Astral Seal: Cool name! Horrible spell. I'm sorry, but this is straight garbage. If someone is so fragile even when near full health that you need to heal them between enemy attacks and you're not on the right initiative for that, you take the Ready action, concentrating on Cure Wounds and using your reaction to apply it after the ally takes a hit. 99% of the time, you can simplify things to this train of thought:
Someone is not full. -> That's nice. I'll heal after the battle. Right now, I'ma focus on helping to drop things, 'cause things can't hurt you when they're unconscious.
Someone needs healing right away. -> Healing Word, then a cantrip or non-spell action to keep contributing to the fight.
No, really, they need a lot of healing right now. -> Okay, fine, Cure Wounds.
Astral Seal basically tries to replace Healing Word, but drops its power even lower so that it's unusable and requires concentration that you should be using on better spells or a readied Cure Wounds in the one situation in which Astral Seal appears to have some function.

Aura of Deflection: Resistance to a damage type is kinda' a big thing. Yes, one is less than all three, and a minute is less than an hour, but Stoneskin is a full tier higher (Refer back to the Arc/Arrow discussion.), consumes 100 gp, doesn't stop magical damage, and disadvantage is a big deal, too. If you want to ward against projectiles, use Warding Wind (which, I should note, has downsides to it as a trade-off, which demonstrates how strong your spell is). If you are in melee, you can use Earth Tremor to knock people down (They have disadvantage on their opportunity attacks and need to dash to catch up.) and move away, perhaps overrunning/tumbling if there isn't an opening, or you could just make an opening and bolt with Thunderwave. You could stall while your allies handle them via Blade Ward (plus bonus attacks as an eldritch knight), or you could spam Thunderclap if you're tough. You don't really need to make any of these tactics stronger by also saying, "You can't touch me, and if you do, it's reduced."

Awakening: First, hypnotic spells don't need any more counters than they already have. Merely taking an action to jostle an ally is already an efficient way of countering a spell. Second, "normally asleep" = "unconscious." They're both the unconscious condition. Third, if you just want the loud part without the jostling, you already have Thunderwave, Thunderclap, and Thaumaturgy + "Hey, listen!"

Battle Hymn: Beacon of Hope and Circle of Power may seem like fine examples from which to base this, as they clearly have greater benefits, but again, they're in a different tier; they're supposed to be much greater. A more fair comparison would be to Bless. Let's heighten Bless to Lv2. We have X (all within range) versus 4 allies, a greater duration, no S component, and, for some strange reason, bonus action activation. More notably, 1d4 is less than advantage (effective value of 5, as we see in the passive ability checks section, so double the average of 1d4), and deciding before the roll is far inferior to rerolling after a failure. To me, the easiest solution is to slap Bless onto the bard spell list. My last group did that, handed Bless and Bane to druids when we tried a "no clerics" setting (I ported all the cleric-exclusive spells to another class. The DM wanted to demonstrate the fact that clerics were quintessential in other editions that he used to if you wanted to heal, but are easily replaced now.), and renamed them to Victor's Valor and Warrior's Woe. That being said, if you're really hooked on Battle Hymn being a thing, though there are already so many good choices in Lv2 spells, here are the changes that I'd make: 1 action, not bonus action, advantage (pre-decide, formatting the same as Bless), not reroll, and three targets. You still have greater duration, no S component, and advantage is twice as good as 1d4.
A generally good way to tell whether a spell is okay or not is this: If you can heighten a lower spell for more effect, it's UP. If it can be heightened to surpass a higher spell, it's OP. If it's similar to a heightened spell from a lower level, but the same tier, and just a little greater, it's just right.

Binding Winds: You need to read Wind Wall. You're again giving melee weapon disadvantage for no good reason, and your phrasing doesn't specify that BFG projectiles get through. Yeah, a wall's better than a one-man ward on your martial that doesn't need to hear or concentrate to be a meat shield, and Wind Wall can do a little startup damage, but that's not nearly enough to justify a full tier. I know that you're about to say that the intent is to hold one creature back, but then, it could be said that this is only a tiny downgrade from Hold Monster (a Lv5 spell) that also works on undead, just not beyond Large.

Creeping Cold: This starts out with the same single-target damage as a focused Scorching Ray, but in cold damage and with half damage on successes. It starts OP, then it scales into WTF. 4d6 scaling is not okay on a hit-it-and-quit-it evocation spell; that kind of power is reserved for spells that require you to concentrate and spend bonus actions, like Flaming Sphere, Spiritual Weapon, and MMM.

Chill Metal: This is objectively better than Heat Metal, which is already a good spell. The vulnerability to bludgeoning and thunder damage is both redundantly phrased (You're gonna' cast it on some metallic item. Why state that this only comes into play on metallic items?) and unnecessary. This interaction of physics is usually hand-waved away as being a part of our dimension's physical properties, but a fictional concept to the dimension of (Insert setting here.), but if you really want it to be a part of this spell, you have to tone it down elsewise as a trade-off. Finally, the last line is silly. They can already drop the item, whether hot, cold, or normal, with no action required, or in the doffing time that is shown in the armor don/doff table; the CON save that Heat Metal makes is only for resisting the sudden surge of heat while intentionally maintaining grip on the weapon that you can't stand to drop.

Cold Snap: Right out the box, this is better than Shatter, another great spell, in most situations. It's not often that you need to damage objects with a spell, there are many organics, and halved speed is a big deal, even for one turn. Really, if the enemy isn't much faster than you and you have space, you can often see halved speed as a whole wasted turn. Then, it has an unnecessary upgrade in its scaling.

Entangling Force: It looks like you felt that reducing the range, targeting, and ongoing damage of Evard's Black Tentacles was enough to drop the level by 2. We again touch on the concept of tiers of play, yada yada not trying to beat your head with it, blah blah just keeps being an apparent issue blah. Let me put it to you in a different way: This gives more DPS than Spiritual Weapon while restraining a creature, then it scales up much better and restrains more. At Lv4, it's often even with Black Tentacles because the range is a bit more restrictive, but you're not restricted to a radius, and smart enemies spread around to flank you. You're getting better than a Lv4 spell as a Lv2 spell.

Glitterdust: Faerie Fire gets to be cheaper than See Invisibility because its duration is tons shorter, it requires concentration, it's limited to an immobile area, foes get a save, and the effective range is tons shorter (60 ft < wherever I move plus about two miles in all directions from everywhere that I move). That's five downsides just to see invisible foes one spell level early and have advantage on attack rolls against them. At least you didn't also keep the advantage part, but in stead, you threw in a Fog Cloud to hinder them and made it discriminatory to still be a net gain to you. Light obscurement doesn't hinder your attacks at all; unless they're hiding, you auto-spot them, then you get to plug 'em full of cantrips. If they then try to hide, the DM says, "Oh, yeah, they need to be able to see where they're going to find cover to hide behind, so being blinded means that they auto-fail . . . and you are already watching them, anyway." Effectively, you just give them all blindness, as the Blindness/Deafness spell, for ten minutes while also revealing them if invisible.

Ice Axe: I'd call it Frost Axe, but okay, cool! I like it. I suppose that the light from Flame Blade can be considered a net gain because enemies in the dark often have darkvision, go fig, so giving away your position is not much of a downside. Therefore, keeping this damage the same as Flame Blade seems fine. The only issue that I have is class identity. While I see the flavor points that you're going for, rangers are supposed to be very limited in damage over time spells, and warlocks are supposed to be 99% screwed on the matter, so giving them access to such an excellent spell as this is unfair. That goes double for warlocks, really; the DMG warns against messing with the warlock's spell list due to regaining slots on short rests specifically because of the ridiculous improvements that stuff like this does. The expensive material component seems unnecessary, but I can't say that I really care, at that price. A strip of tsuga bark is my choice.
Relatedly, I have an Electro Spear spell that is just an electric version of Flame Blade with the M component as a zillia petal.

Icy Rays: Wow, you really undervalue control riders, huh? See the response to Cold Snap. Yeah, sure, you're getting fewer shots than Scorching Ray. That's really cute when you get to entirely shut down multiple units (Even if they have ranged options, they have to meet a 150 range if you cast and move.) with a Lv2 spell. If it halved their speed, it'd be more like the difficult terrain spells, at which point I'd turn to Spike Growth for every situation in which my enemies aren't airborne.

Listening Coin's duration, I feel, still encroaches on Clairvoyance, specifically the clairaudience part of it. Putting this on an unsuspecting party as they move at a normal pace gives you about three times the range of Clairvoyance, it travels, you don't need an expensive focus, and you get to cast it as an action. The one advantage of being able to do the seeing part with Clairvoyance is not fitting to being a tier higher. Really, we shouldn't worry about spying spells at this level, for the most part, especially since Nondetection isn't available this cheaply. Referring back to Aud (and Vid, for that matter), you'll notice that the duration is only suitable for recording what your own party does or maybe a short conversation down the hall or something, not the enemy party's plans, gossip, spell preparation, and secrets that they discuss within an hour.

Mantle of Faith: It was hard to come up with a good base with which to evaluate this, since 5E intentionally stayed away from going crazy on spells that augment saving throws or AC, much less both. Let's look at Shield, since both give short bursts of AC. Shield has funny language that makes you able to cast it after you see that an attack would hit you, but in time to make it miss. Yours suggests a decision before a roll. Shield is self-only. Yours goes to any four allies. Shield gives +5. Yours gives +X to each of 4, where X can be assumed to be 3 at low levels, for an assumed minimum of 12. The only other Lv2 spell that I can think of with that big of an efficiency jump from a Lv1 counterpart is Aid to False Life, and only because False Life is on the bottom of the Lv1 barrel and Aid is pretty high on the Lv2 stand.

Pull of the Abyss is indisputably cool. The fact that it's one brief burst of its control, rather than the ongoing messes of Watery Sphere, Grasping Vine, Maelstrom, and the like, means that it may very well be priced appropriately, but it's hard to tell due to little to compare to. Let me know how playtesting goes; if this sees more use than other Lv2 spells, it may need to be toned down. If all else fails, it's still a good idea for monster abilities, magic items, and stuff.

Rain-Bow: Geez, this spell is popular. Good idea styling its damage after Flame Blade, but it should have the language to match so that people don't get confused about proficiencies and passing it off to someone else, too. Again, no to pallies and rangers, like I said for Frost Axe. It feels objectively better than Flame Blade, but maybe that's okay, 'cause Moonbeam is almost strictly better than Flaming Sphere (Sphere's better when you have multiple foes that can't move away from it . . . or, you know, fire vulnerability is a thing.), and 60' isn't really a range upgrade to other Lv2 spells, either. Looks fine to me for clerics and druids. My version looks like this:
Rain-Bow - Evocation 2, Cleric, Druid
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a miniature bow made of mother-of-pearl worth at least 50 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
You evoke a bow and arrows of iridescent light. The bow is of similar size and shape to a crossbow, shortbow, or longbow (your choice), and it lasts for the duration. This spell operates as per Flame Blade, but with radiant damage, it does not provide illumination, and the attack is a ranged spell attack with a range of 60 feet, using arrows/bolts that you evoke to match the bow.

Repel: First, see Gust of Wind. Second, this spell basically outright says, "There's no such thing as chasing mages. There's getting screwed by them and getting screwed harder." As long as you have ammo, this is also basically a 30-foot line attack that deals 1d6 damage on failed DEX saves in addition to royally screwing over your single target with anywhere between 0 and 11d6 via a full line of foes, which your ally just set up via Pull of the Abyss. It gets even dumber when tiny creatures crowd into the same square behind the target and (s)he takes 1d6 for every one of them.

Snap: This trivializes concentration. Yes, concentration can already be defeated by a spellcasting save DC, but Sleet Storm is another tier up, a concentration spell, a concentration spell that doesn't provide DoT or any damage at all, and an action.

Waterspout: Too much damage for a Lv2 line spell that isn't Aganazzar's Scorcher, too strong of a push, numbers don't match up . . . As a consolation, here:

Hydraulic Torrent - Evocation 3, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
Range: Self (60-foot-line)
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You summon a powerful stream of elemental water 60 feet long and 5 feet wide. Each creature in the line must make a Strength saving throw. A creature or object in its path takes 6d6 bludgeoning damage, and if the creature is Large or smaller, it is pushed back 15 feet. On a successful save, it takes half as much damage and is not pushed. Unprotected flames in the area are extinguished.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Armaments of the Forest: This could really stand a language clean-up (I'll do that for ya' later.), but it otherwise looks good, now.
Buoyancy: I still say that this should be a reaction, which you take in response to a creature sinking.
Explosion: This looks better. I see that you based part of it on Thunderous Smite, but with half the average damage and pushing range to compensate for the range, lack of concentration, autohit on the damage, and scaling potential. I like it.
Sandblaster needs to lose the second clause of its first sentence and doesn't belong with rangers. They're supposed to suck at AoE damage and not even have access to it for the first tier of play unless you count Hail of Thorns, and it doesn't fit their identity of attack style. Anyway, yeah, come to think of it, just getting rid of the rider effect altogether is best.
Searing Light is much cooler now, but it still has some fundamental flaws: At lower levels, Guiding Bolt is way better. By the time that its better scaling catches up, Flame Strike was one spell level ago. Searing Light's only argument is its janky "I stop some trolls from regenerating and, uh, some custom monsters . . ." which Guiding Bolt answers with, "I give advantage to the next attack, which can be an ally's fire attack or a toss of an alchemist's fire flask." Searing Light now has its own identity as a discriminatory, radiant attack like the druid's sun crap (should probably be on the druid list, too), but where is its use?
I gave Snowshoes the M component of a rabbit's foot. I think that bumping it to 10 feet of range is a good idea.

Angelskin: I changed the "silvery glitter" to "powdered silver." I suggest making it 1 action (It's not like every spell for paladins has to be a bonus action. Their smites are, sure, but not the rest of them.) and changing the last part to this: ". . . disadvantage on attack rolls and melee damage rolls against you." It doesn't make sense for this Lv2 abjuration to block half a giant spell, nor spells at all unless they involve melee attacks.

Arc of Lightning: Oh, wow . . . I can see how you got there from Lightning Bolt, but you have to understand that Lv3, Lv6, and Lv9 spells are in completely separate tiers from their predecessors, so you have to compare spells within the same tier at least and preferably at the same level. Flaming Sphere would have to last four rounds (conc) and use your bonus action on each, including the first, to catch up to what Arc does to two enemies, plus another two rounds for everyone else that Arc catches, and enemies would need to be unable/too dumb to scatter. Spiritual Weapon only barely outperforms with a +3 spellcasting modifier, but deals nothing on a miss. Scorching Ray, which is held in high regard for its burst damage, doesn't even come close to what Arc does, and misses do nothing. Then, this gets a rider effect on top. It's more comparable to a single round of Wall of Fire, a Lv4 spell. If you took it down to 2d6 and took off the rider effect, it'd still be a great spell, one that I would frequently take in preference over Scorching Ray. Finally, this is not a druid thing.

Arrow of Light: See Arc of Lightning. Replace "druid" with "ranger." Compound the fact that linear spells causing DEX saves is a common sense thing: People see you cast the spell, then they have a moment to see where you're aiming and how to shield themselves from the blow. If you really want the "attack roll vs. all" function, I'm not gonna' stop you, but it's unorthadox, at the least. Perhaps more notably, though, you need to add a line that creatures within the line do not benefit from half or three-fourths cover, or none at all, which makes this even more ridiculously powerful.

Astral Seal: Cool name! Horrible spell. I'm sorry, but this is straight garbage. If someone is so fragile even when near full health that you need to heal them between enemy attacks and you're not on the right initiative for that, you take the Ready action, concentrating on Cure Wounds and using your reaction to apply it after the ally takes a hit. 99% of the time, you can simplify things to this train of thought:
Someone is not full. -> That's nice. I'll heal after the battle. Right now, I'ma focus on helping to drop things, 'cause things can't hurt you when they're unconscious.
Someone needs healing right away. -> Healing Word, then a cantrip or non-spell action to keep contributing to the fight.
No, really, they need a lot of healing right now. -> Okay, fine, Cure Wounds.
Astral Seal basically tries to replace Healing Word, but drops its power even lower so that it's unusable and requires concentration that you should be using on better spells or a readied Cure Wounds in the one situation in which Astral Seal appears to have some function.

Aura of Deflection: Resistance to a damage type is kinda' a big thing. Yes, one is less than all three, and a minute is less than an hour, but Stoneskin is a full tier higher (Refer back to the Arc/Arrow discussion.), consumes 100 gp, doesn't stop magical damage, and disadvantage is a big deal, too. If you want to ward against projectiles, use Warding Wind (which, I should note, has downsides to it as a trade-off, which demonstrates how strong your spell is). If you are in melee, you can use Earth Tremor to knock people down (They have disadvantage on their opportunity attacks and need to dash to catch up.) and move away, perhaps overrunning/tumbling if there isn't an opening, or you could just make an opening and bolt with Thunderwave. You could stall while your allies handle them via Blade Ward (plus bonus attacks as an eldritch knight), or you could spam Thunderclap if you're tough. You don't really need to make any of these tactics stronger by also saying, "You can't touch me, and if you do, it's reduced."

Awakening: First, hypnotic spells don't need any more counters than they already have. Merely taking an action to jostle an ally is already an efficient way of countering a spell. Second, "normally asleep" = "unconscious." They're both the unconscious condition. Third, if you just want the loud part without the jostling, you already have Thunderwave, Thunderclap, and Thaumaturgy + "Hey, listen!"

Battle Hymn: Beacon of Hope and Circle of Power may seem like fine examples from which to base this, as they clearly have greater benefits, but again, they're in a different tier; they're supposed to be much greater. A more fair comparison would be to Bless. Let's heighten Bless to Lv2. We have X (all within range) versus 4 allies, a greater duration, no S component, and, for some strange reason, bonus action activation. More notably, 1d4 is less than advantage (effective value of 5, as we see in the passive ability checks section, so double the average of 1d4), and deciding before the roll is far inferior to rerolling after a failure. To me, the easiest solution is to slap Bless onto the bard spell list. My last group did that, handed Bless and Bane to druids when we tried a "no clerics" setting (I ported all the cleric-exclusive spells to another class. The DM wanted to demonstrate the fact that clerics were quintessential in other editions that he used to if you wanted to heal, but are easily replaced now.), and renamed them to Victor's Valor and Warrior's Woe. That being said, if you're really hooked on Battle Hymn being a thing, though there are already so many good choices in Lv2 spells, here are the changes that I'd make: 1 action, not bonus action, advantage (pre-decide, formatting the same as Bless), not reroll, and three targets. You still have greater duration, no S component, and advantage is twice as good as 1d4.
A generally good way to tell whether a spell is okay or not is this: If you can heighten a lower spell for more effect, it's UP. If it can be heightened to surpass a higher spell, it's OP. If it's similar to a heightened spell from a lower level, but the same tier, and just a little greater, it's just right.

Binding Winds: You need to read Wind Wall. You're again giving melee weapon disadvantage for no good reason, and your phrasing doesn't specify that BFG projectiles get through. Yeah, a wall's better than a one-man ward on your martial that doesn't need to hear or concentrate to be a meat shield, and Wind Wall can do a little startup damage, but that's not nearly enough to justify a full tier. I know that you're about to say that the intent is to hold one creature back, but then, it could be said that this is only a tiny downgrade from Hold Monster (a Lv5 spell) that also works on undead, just not beyond Large.

Creeping Cold: This starts out with the same single-target damage as a focused Scorching Ray, but in cold damage and with half damage on successes. It starts OP, then it scales into WTF. 4d6 scaling is not okay on a hit-it-and-quit-it evocation spell; that kind of power is reserved for spells that require you to concentrate and spend bonus actions, like Flaming Sphere, Spiritual Weapon, and MMM.

Chill Metal: This is objectively better than Heat Metal, which is already a good spell. The vulnerability to bludgeoning and thunder damage is both redundantly phrased (You're gonna' cast it on some metallic item. Why state that this only comes into play on metallic items?) and unnecessary. This interaction of physics is usually hand-waved away as being a part of our dimension's physical properties, but a fictional concept to the dimension of (Insert setting here.), but if you really want it to be a part of this spell, you have to tone it down elsewise as a trade-off. Finally, the last line is silly. They can already drop the item, whether hot, cold, or normal, with no action required, or in the doffing time that is shown in the armor don/doff table; the CON save that Heat Metal makes is only for resisting the sudden surge of heat while intentionally maintaining grip on the weapon that you can't stand to drop.

Cold Snap: Right out the box, this is better than Shatter, another great spell, in most situations. It's not often that you need to damage objects with a spell, there are many organics, and halved speed is a big deal, even for one turn. Really, if the enemy isn't much faster than you and you have space, you can often see halved speed as a whole wasted turn. Then, it has an unnecessary upgrade in its scaling.

Entangling Force: It looks like you felt that reducing the range, targeting, and ongoing damage of Evard's Black Tentacles was enough to drop the level by 2. We again touch on the concept of tiers of play, yada yada not trying to beat your head with it, blah blah just keeps being an apparent issue blah. Let me put it to you in a different way: This gives more DPS than Spiritual Weapon while restraining a creature, then it scales up much better and restrains more. At Lv4, it's often even with Black Tentacles because the range is a bit more restrictive, but you're not restricted to a radius, and smart enemies spread around to flank you. You're getting better than a Lv4 spell as a Lv2 spell.

Glitterdust: Faerie Fire gets to be cheaper than See Invisibility because its duration is tons shorter, it requires concentration, it's limited to an immobile area, foes get a save, and the effective range is tons shorter (60 ft < wherever I move plus about two miles in all directions from everywhere that I move). That's five downsides just to see invisible foes one spell level early and have advantage on attack rolls against them. At least you didn't also keep the advantage part, but in stead, you threw in a Fog Cloud to hinder them and made it discriminatory to still be a net gain to you. Light obscurement doesn't hinder your attacks at all; unless they're hiding, you auto-spot them, then you get to plug 'em full of cantrips. If they then try to hide, the DM says, "Oh, yeah, they need to be able to see where they're going to find cover to hide behind, so being blinded means that they auto-fail . . . and you are already watching them, anyway." Effectively, you just give them all blindness, as the Blindness/Deafness spell, for ten minutes while also revealing them if invisible.

Ice Axe: I'd call it Frost Axe, but okay, cool! I like it. I suppose that the light from Flame Blade can be considered a net gain because enemies in the dark often have darkvision, go fig, so giving away your position is not much of a downside. Therefore, keeping this damage the same as Flame Blade seems fine. The only issue that I have is class identity. While I see the flavor points that you're going for, rangers are supposed to be very limited in damage over time spells, and warlocks are supposed to be 99% screwed on the matter, so giving them access to such an excellent spell as this is unfair. That goes double for warlocks, really; the DMG warns against messing with the warlock's spell list due to regaining slots on short rests specifically because of the ridiculous improvements that stuff like this does. The expensive material component seems unnecessary, but I can't say that I really care, at that price. A strip of tsuga bark is my choice.
Relatedly, I have an Electro Spear spell that is just an electric version of Flame Blade with the M component as a zillia petal.

Icy Rays: Wow, you really undervalue control riders, huh? See the response to Cold Snap. Yeah, sure, you're getting fewer shots than Scorching Ray. That's really cute when you get to entirely shut down multiple units (Even if they have ranged options, they have to meet a 150 range if you cast and move.) with a Lv2 spell. If it halved their speed, it'd be more like the difficult terrain spells, at which point I'd turn to Spike Growth for every situation in which my enemies aren't airborne.

Listening Coin's duration, I feel, still encroaches on Clairvoyance, specifically the clairaudience part of it. Putting this on an unsuspecting party as they move at a normal pace gives you about three times the range of Clairvoyance, it travels, you don't need an expensive focus, and you get to cast it as an action. The one advantage of being able to do the seeing part with Clairvoyance is not fitting to being a tier higher. Really, we shouldn't worry about spying spells at this level, for the most part, especially since Nondetection isn't available this cheaply. Referring back to Aud (and Vid, for that matter), you'll notice that the duration is only suitable for recording what your own party does or maybe a short conversation down the hall or something, not the enemy party's plans, gossip, spell preparation, and secrets that they discuss within an hour.

Mantle of Faith: It was hard to come up with a good base with which to evaluate this, since 5E intentionally stayed away from going crazy on spells that augment saving throws or AC, much less both. Let's look at Shield, since both give short bursts of AC. Shield has funny language that makes you able to cast it after you see that an attack would hit you, but in time to make it miss. Yours suggests a decision before a roll. Shield is self-only. Yours goes to any four allies. Shield gives +5. Yours gives +X to each of 4, where X can be assumed to be 3 at low levels, for an assumed minimum of 12. The only other Lv2 spell that I can think of with that big of an efficiency jump from a Lv1 counterpart is Aid to False Life, and only because False Life is on the bottom of the Lv1 barrel and Aid is pretty high on the Lv2 stand.

Pull of the Abyss is indisputably cool. The fact that it's one brief burst of its control, rather than the ongoing messes of Watery Sphere, Grasping Vine, Maelstrom, and the like, means that it may very well be priced appropriately, but it's hard to tell due to little to compare to. Let me know how playtesting goes; if this sees more use than other Lv2 spells, it may need to be toned down. If all else fails, it's still a good idea for monster abilities, magic items, and stuff.

Rain-Bow: Geez, this spell is popular. Good idea styling its damage after Flame Blade, but it should have the language to match so that people don't get confused about proficiencies and passing it off to someone else, too. Again, no to pallies and rangers, like I said for Frost Axe. It feels objectively better than Flame Blade, but maybe that's okay, 'cause Moonbeam is almost strictly better than Flaming Sphere (Sphere's better when you have multiple foes that can't move away from it . . . or, you know, fire vulnerability is a thing.), and 60' isn't really a range upgrade to other Lv2 spells, either. Looks fine to me for clerics and druids. My version looks like this:
Rain-Bow - Evocation 2, Cleric, Druid
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a miniature bow made of mother-of-pearl worth at least 50 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
You evoke a bow and arrows of iridescent light. The bow is of similar size and shape to a crossbow, shortbow, or longbow (your choice), and it lasts for the duration. This spell operates as per Flame Blade, but with radiant damage, it does not provide illumination, and the attack is a ranged spell attack with a range of 60 feet, using arrows/bolts that you evoke to match the bow.

Repel: First, see Gust of Wind. Second, this spell basically outright says, "There's no such thing as chasing mages. There's getting screwed by them and getting screwed harder." As long as you have ammo, this is also basically a 30-foot line attack that deals 1d6 damage on failed DEX saves in addition to royally screwing over your single target with anywhere between 0 and 11d6 via a full line of foes, which your ally just set up via Pull of the Abyss. It gets even dumber when tiny creatures crowd into the same square behind the target and (s)he takes 1d6 for every one of them.

Snap: This trivializes concentration. Yes, concentration can already be defeated by a spellcasting save DC, but Sleet Storm is another tier up, a concentration spell, a concentration spell that doesn't provide DoT or any damage at all, and an action.

Waterspout: Too much damage for a Lv2 line spell that isn't Aganazzar's Scorcher, too strong of a push, numbers don't match up . . . As a consolation, here:

Hydraulic Torrent - Evocation 3, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard
Range: Self (60-foot-line)
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You summon a powerful stream of elemental water 60 feet long and 5 feet wide. Each creature in the line must make a Strength saving throw. A creature or object in its path takes 6d6 bludgeoning damage, and if the creature is Large or smaller, it is pushed back 15 feet. On a successful save, it takes half as much damage and is not pushed. Unprotected flames in the area are extinguished.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.

I think you're definitely right about one thing, in that I probably undervalue control riders (wait till you see Chill Strike at lvl 3), mostly because my groups usually play in totm, and "kiting" or "ranging" almost never comes up (this probably also contributes to my difficulties finding the appropriate ranges for spells).

I'll work on assimilating some of these changes once I get back from work this afternoon.

[EDIT] Also, alot of these spells like repel and icy rays I converted from the Neverwinter MMO, usually going for function with a little bit of concern about balance (usually in the form of "incapacitated and restrained" instead of stunned. A lot of the spells you mention being similar in function to other spells will probably be removed, simply to reduce the actual number of spells on the list that dont truly contribute anything. [/EDIT]

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
UPDATE"
v1.21 (3/3/2016) Balancing (hopefully)
1st Level
Changed Buyoancy to a Reaction cast time.
Removed Sandblaster's now-obsolete blindness reference.
Added Searing Light to the Druid spell list.

2nd Level
Changed Angelskin's casting time to 1 Action. Reworded the damage disavantage to only affect melee damage. Added Radiant resistance.
Reduced Arc of Lightning's damage from 4d6 to 2d8. Changed slot level scaling to match. Removed from Druid spell list. Removed Reaction inhibition.
Reduced Arrow of Light's damage to 3d6. Changed scaling to match. Removed from Ranger spell list. Converted from attack roll to saving throw.
Removed Astral Seal.
Removed Aura of Deflection.
Removed Awakening.
Removed Battle Hymn.
Removed Binding Winds.
Changed the function of Creeping Cold.
Removed Chill Metal.
Removed the speed reduction function of Cold Snap. Reduced its damage to 3d6 (from 3d8) I realize its now basically a slightly larger area version of SSS, but SSS sucked anyway. I'll work on it some more.
Reduced the extra damage from Entangling Force and added a bonus action requirement. Changed the slot level scaling to specify a radius for targeting additional creatures.
Removed Glitterdust.
Changed the material component for Ice Axe. Removed from Ranger and Warlock spell lists.
Changed the speed reduction on Icy Rays from 100% to 10 feet.
Removed Mantle of Faith.
Changed some of the language for Rain-bow. Removed from Paladin and Ranger spell lists.
Removed Repel.
Removed Snap.
Changed the push from Waterspout to be limited to 15 feet. Reduced the damage at 2nd level, added damage scaling at higher slot levels.

3rd Level
Removed the control riders for Chill Strike, as well as reducing its damage scaling.
Removed Force Hammer from the Warlock spell list.
Added a clause to Frost Razors that specifies that unblooded creatures do not take damage from bleeding.
Reduced the damage from Thunderlance to 2d10 (from 2d12). Changed slot level scaling to match.
Reduced the damage absorption from Whirling Wards to 3 x SAM (from 5x)

4th Level
Reduced the damage from Chilling Cloud to 4d6 (from 5d6)
Removed the disadvantage clause from Darkfire's Breathe option. Changed the slot level scaling for Darkfire.
Reduced the overall damage and damage scaling for Dreadtheft.
Reduced the damage of Hammer of the Gods from 8d8 to 6d8.
Changed the function of Ice Armor. This one probably also needs more work
Specified an AoE for Scintillating Sphere.
Reduced the AoE for Shout. Reduced Shout's starting damage and damage scaling. Removed the extended deafened duration for slot level scaling.
Reduced the AoE for Templar's Wrath. Changed the control rider into the frightened condition. Reduced the damage scaling for Templar's Wrath.
Removed Warmind from the Warlock spell list.

5th Level
Removed Aether Waves from the Paladin, Ranger, and Warlock spell lists. Added to Sorcerer spell list.
Removed Barrier form the Warlock spell list. Changed the shield generation to 6d10 (from 6d12)
Reduced Blindsight's duration from 1 hour to 10 minutes.
Removed Hailstones from the Ranger spell list.
Reduced the damage from Stonecrush's initial conjuring by 1d6. Changed the detonation damage to 6d8 (from 8d6) Now requires a bonus action to detonate early.
Reduced Shard Storm's AoE to a 10-foot radius (from 15) Fixed the range (is now 60)
Changed Thunderbolt to use d12's.

AlmirEldignor

Explorer
Small issue: Current version shown in the document is 1.2, 1.21 changes havent saved for some reason so I'll be re-adding them as soon as I can.

Remove ads