• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Map making software

kdanger

First Post
I have tried the ProFantasy Software in the version that was on the AD&D Core Rules CD. No manual to help me through it though. So after I got frustrated with that, I tried several of the free ones online...still a little frustrated.

If the tutorials weren't useful, what did you use to learn CC2? Just the manual?

Can you make large scale campaign maps (like countries, continents, etc) in Dundjinni?

Thanks for all the info!

Wurm1234

Explorer
kdanger said:
I have tried the ProFantasy Software in the version that was on the AD&D Core Rules CD. No manual to help me through it though. So after I got frustrated with that, I tried several of the free ones online...still a little frustrated.

If the tutorials weren't useful, what did you use to learn CC2? Just the manual?

Can you make large scale campaign maps (like countries, continents, etc) in Dundjinni?

Thanks for all the info!
I've used many programs and have purchased CC-Pro (and addons) and Dundjinni. I've also used Autorealm and played with Gridsmith's demo. For most of my mapping needs, Dundjinni is all I need. I've seen people do some beautiful work at the campaign scale, but I think it is still a stretch for Dundjinni. For buildings, castles, dungeons, rooms, etc. it just doesn't get much easier than Dundjinni. As mentioned earlier, Cecil and others (ChicagoMapper, Metajock, Annalyzza, EvilEmpyress) have supplemented the artwork Fluid has made available, making an already good program even more rich. It has a friendly and helpful usergroup in the forums who will jump in to provide help (I should know...they help me all the time.) As I mentioned earlier, I recommend Dundjinni without reservation.

For the time being, however, I'll probably stick with CC-Pro for regional and campaign level maps. Though I have to pull out the manuals regularly in order to get best results, and I find it's user interface quirky, I think it is a pretty good program, and the one I'd still be using over all the others, if I didn't have Dundjinni.

Once Dundjinni figures out campaign and regional scales, though, all bets are off....

Alynnalizza

First Post
Dundjinni really is not that great at making large scale campaign maps yet. (Though with some user-art starting to make its way in, this may change). Personally for large scale maps, I use Fractal Terrains for continents, CC2-Pro, and of course the old fashion method... hand drawn for closer in campaign maps.

I actually enjoy handrawing the maps, and then 'tweaking' them out in photoshop. But I am odd!

My experience with CC2 is trail and error. Though that is the way I generally learn all software.

With CC2, I can generally make 'decent' maps in about 8-10 hours. Dundjinni, it averages about 2 hours.

So if you are planning to use a program to make close-scale (battlemat) type maps, I heartily recommend Dundjinni. If it is a fair mix of close and campaign scale, I would probably lean towards CC2... though the learning curve is higher.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Technically, Fractal Terrains is stand-alone, as it doesn't require CC2 to produce world maps.

However, exporting a world map in 16 (or as many as you want) sections, each of which can then be edited with CC2 and linked together for easy clickable navigation through the world, is very cool, so I recommend them both. :)

unundindur

First Post
D+1 said:
When you say you have "tried these mapping programs" which are you talking about and how long have you tried? No matter what software you're using these things will not make the map FOR you. You still have to make the software do what you need and each has different ways that they go about that. Each has certain strengths and weaknesses, even different uses, but you STILL have to learn how to make them do what they do.

CC2 is what I use and it cannot be overstressed that you need to A) be sure it's updated to the most recent version (meaning you need to have actually purchased it and registered it) and that you need to do the tutorials that will teach you the basics of how to make it do what it does. You're not going to spend an hour with the manual, THEN sit down at the keyboard and an hour later have your game world completely mapped out.

Once you understand it because you've gotten hands-on experience you will find it far easier to do more.

As an example, while you may not be familiar with what layers are you REALLY need to understand what they're doing for you or you're just making it HARDER to get results.
I have experienced the same problem with the 2nd edition Forgotten realms mapper. I really want an editior which is as simple as Age of empire map editor etc. with the exception that it should adapt to DnD (inc. grid, items, monsters etc.).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads