[Maplewood, NJ] - In Pursuit of Adventure

Rastfar

First Post
In Pursuit of Adventure

I am interested in starting a long-term D&D 3.5 campaign. It is set in an established homebrew campaign world that is relatively low-magic, low-level and at times gritty. Level advancement can be slow in comparison to many other playstyles. I expect an emphasis on role-playing, character development, and plot-driven storylines with a healthy dose of combat (because after all everyone likes to roll dice too). I want the game to have a mix of humour, action and thought and may hold elements of mature themes.

Ideal players will commit to a long-term campaign group (as in the past, campaigns have run for years) and will try to prioritize their scheduling of the game. I prefer mature individuals who are decent role-players, stay in-character, and enjoy a collaborative story-telling experience. As much as I as the DM have a story to tell, so too do the characters have an impact upon the game world and their stories should unfold in game as well. I enjoy characters that grow through dramatic experience and are not reliant upon exceptional stats or magic items. I believe that a character is much more than ‘the sum of his stuff’; an 18 as a statistic is exceptional and should be treated as such. Characters start at the bottom and work their way up. The spectre of death is ever-present and a possibility for any character at any time as a result of poor decision making. I am not a ‘killer DM’ and do not believe in unnecessary character deaths. I like it when a character dies as a heroic sacrifice or in the advancement of the story. Combat is inevitable. I do use miniatures and a Battlemat/Tact-tiles. Experience however is not dependent upon combat. I award good problem-solving, role-playing and diplomacy just as well.

This game is not for those who enjoy a ‘hack and slash’, ‘min/max’, or ‘rules lawyer’ approach to play. While I do play with many rules and abide by them, I do not wish to waste valuable time debating over semantics. I would much rather make an ad hoc ruling at the time and engage in intelligent discussion away from the table between sessions. My only exception to this stance is when it comes to the possibility of death for a PC. Level 10 characters are high and often only achieved at the end of a campaign which has endured many years’ play.

Scheduling is yet to be determined as it will obviously need to reflect the availability of the group. However, I am not looking to run a game that meets more often than once every two weeks (or any less frequently as I have found that the integrity of the game deteriorates with less frequency) as I am a family man who has other obligations away from the game table. I like session lengths that run for about 6 hours. Prior games I have played in have always occurred on weekend afternoons, but I am open to other suggestions/possibilities. I offer my own home as a place to gather and play but need others to respect that I also have a wife and two small children. I would be willing to play in another location if suitable.

For more information about me you can read my profile here, or if you have any questions/inquiries I can be contacted at:
Rastfar@hotmail.com

Last edited:

Rastfar

First Post
Normally the blessing of Shu’s breath in the sails was something that Jerek would enjoy, but now, it was only making matters worse. The ship was in irons and the Captain was already dead. The force of the wind was causing her to pitch and they just kept coming. There was no way that the crew would ever get the keel free of whatever it was holding them there until the decks were cleared. He could see only two of Garett’s marines remained, and one was seriously injured. They were good, worth at least three to a man, but yet not enough.

‘And the damned scaly bastards just keep coming.’

It was if they were driven by some personal vendetta, or a singular malevolent force, bringing everything nasty that the swamp had to offer with them; giant mosquitoes, venomous snakes, Jerek swore he even saw the signature roll of a crocodile drowning its prey. The wily ship’s mage ducked behind the pilothouse, narrowly dodging a salvo of javelins. ‘Thank Isis,’ he thought. The spell he’d cast earlier allowed him to see in the moonlight beyond the shadow of the vessel. He knew they were outnumbered, sunk. Fleeting moments were all that remained.

‘They didn’t listen. Damn,… why didn’t they listen?! I knew we were too close to the swamp. We shoulda rode out the storm at sea,…’

There was nothing for it, The Shining Star was lost. With the grim exhalation of capitulation, Jerek issued the order to all who could still hear, or obey, “Abandon ship!” And after a minor gesture, and some arcane words the navigator ducked into the pilothouse one last time.

The sickening sounds of snapping limbs joined the screams echoing off the water. ‘Poor bastards,… I’m sorry.’

Quickly grabbing some things he stuffed them deep into his satchel, pulled forth a bit of whale blubber, made another gesture, uttered some more arcane, inhaled deeply, and expertly dove overboard.

‘Swim! Don’t look back! Just swim! Tefnut carry me. Swim, Jerek. Swim.’

Still looking for 2-3 more people interested in playing. Those who are entirely new or veterans of the system are all welcomed.

Remove ads