• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mapping Fate Character Aspects onto D&D

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
Ah, okay, so declaring a story detail by spending a fate point. You can't do that with Inspiration out of the box, I agree. I'll have to think how that applies to my game, though, since I'm trying to keep things open in a No Myth sort of way.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Ah, okay, so declaring a story detail by spending a fate point. You can't do that with Inspiration out of the box, I agree. I'll have to think how that applies to my game, though, since I'm trying to keep things open in a No Myth sort of way.
This is a key difference, yes. Minor narrative control is the term used I think. In D&D you could always leverage extra crunch too. Things like add a condition, a penalty to enemy saves, a penalty to enemy attacks (the latter two straight cribbed the the Bard). If you don't have a Bard in your party you could pillage bardic inspiration pretty heavily for ideas. You could also consider employing a flashback mechanic like BitD as part of that minor narrative control. You have lots of cool options.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In 4e terms invoking a fate point might provide automatic skill challenge success by some interesting narrative fashion possibly 2 successes if your aspect fit very well.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In 4e terms invoking a fate point might provide automatic skill challenge success by some interesting narrative fashion possibly 2 successes if your aspect fit very well.
In effect a fate point could get everyone home safely ... like a teleport spell/ritual - only the fate point brings down giant eagles that swoop down and grab the party and take them off or something else.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In Fate, a character begins with a high concept and five trouble aspects.

Small correction: A Fate Core character has one High Concept Aspect, one Trouble Aspect, and three other Aspects.

I think the closest thing to a high concept in D&D is a character's class.

That's fair.

Trouble aspects are analogous to a character's personal characteristics, i.e. personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw.

Yes and no. I mean, the Trouble Aspect could be related to these, but could very well not be.

The other aspects are gained in the "Phase Trio" of character generation. They can be almost anything, and are under no onus to be personal troubles or problematic relationships. They can often refine a character's approaches to their skills. Your character whose High Concept is "Beat Cop" may, in the past, have been "Boot Camp Gunny Sgt." or "Professional boxer".

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In effect a fate point could get everyone home safely ... like a teleport spell/ritual - only the fate point brings down giant eagles that swoop down and grab the party and take them off or something else.
The idea is not to wed a fate point to a specific effect of course just to give a scale for the kinds of story benefit one might achieve which are within D&D scope and you might allow things of higher level using say 2 fate points

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

You can do that, but the impact you are describing is not commensurate with the impact of invoking an Aspect in Fate. Invoking one Aspect in Fate does not generally mean "auto success" on anything.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You can do that, but the impact you are describing is not commensurate with the impact of invoking an Aspect in Fate. Invoking one Aspect in Fate does not generally mean "auto success" on anything.
A skill challenge auto success is like saying yes your ritual to get you to where you need to be is a auto success towards succeeding on the over all task which requires multiple. Which happened to include getting faster to the big city and similar things.

Unless you are designing entire challenges to be trivialized by a wizard spell... then shame on you.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Rituals provide story valuable effects with well defined level based scopes which are generally not directly doing the battle scene thing for that reason in 4e one could also gain an auto success in a skill challenge
for a significant skill check by spending an HS( exerting), which is actually somewhat close in 5e by the time you hit heroic tier of spending a HD. But then in 5e non-casters do not get to contribute in big ways (unless killing things) and according to the label adventuring is supposed to be 10x harder without magic.

Remove ads