Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

pukunui

Legend
Assuming the information about Broadway and Labyrinth both being big adventures and released only two months apart is true, it would sound likely that they're a two-part adventure much like Hoard of the Dragon Queen + Rise of Tiamat.

I think it's kind of useless to speculate on the contents of a product based on a single word that may or may not be related in hindsight. I mean, sure, Cloak = Vampire and Dagger = Shakespearean giants... you can make sense of it after the fact, but that's some Law of Fives-level justification.
Indeed. I mean, it's entirely possible that they codenamed SKT "Dagger" simply because they'd codenamed the previous one "Cloak" so they could have a little chuckle about "cloak and dagger".

[MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION]: Could you please get back to me regarding the PMs I've sent you pertaining to comments you've made in this thread?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Assuming the information about Broadway and Labyrinth both being big adventures and released only two months apart is true, it would sound likely that they're a two-part adventure much like Hoard of the Dragon Queen + Rise of Tiamat.

I think it's kind of useless to speculate on the contents of a product based on a single word that may or may not be related in hindsight. I mean, sure, Cloak = Vampire and Dagger = Shakespearean giants... you can make sense of it after the fact, but that's some Law of Fives-level justification.
Considering that they just stated they wouldn't be doing something like Hoard/Tiamat again, even if it is two adventures I expect they will be distinct.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Indeed. I mean, it's entirely possible that they codenamed SKT "Dagger" simply because they'd codenamed the previous one "Cloak" so they could have a little chuckle about "cloak and dagger".

[MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION]: Could you please get back to me regarding the PMs I've sent you pertaining to comments you've made in this thread?
The Shakespeare connection was because Perkins kept mentioning it at Cons and such, so the codename had a Shakespearean loose connection, though it told nothing about the AP itself.

Apologies about that, can't see my PMs on the App, lemme see if I can access those.

pukunui

Legend
The Shakespeare connection was because Perkins kept mentioning it at Cons and such, so the codename had a Shakespearean loose connection, though it told nothing about the AP itself.
OK. I wasn't aware of that. I don't attend any cons, living on the other side of the world as I do. Still, I'm guessing their first thought was "cloak and dagger" ...

Apologies about that, can't see my PMs on the App, lemme see if I can access those.
Thanks. I wondered if maybe that was the case. But I was kind of in panic mode yesterday, so I assumed you were deliberately ignoring me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK. I wasn't aware of that. I don't attend any cons, living on the other side of the world as I do. Still, I'm guessing their first thought was "cloak and dagger" ...

Thanks. I wondered if maybe that was the case. But I was kind of in panic mode yesterday, so I assumed you were deliberately ignoring me.
No worries, I legitimately thought nobody was PMing me this whole time?

For sure, Cloak & Dagger was in their mind: Perkins would Tweet about a Year inspired Giant story, which is in SKT even if I would call it a minor note.

pukunui

Legend
No worries, I legitimately thought nobody was PMing me this whole time?
That's all right.

For sure, Cloak & Dagger was in their mind: Perkins would Tweet about a Year inspired Giant story, which is in SKT even if I would call it a minor note.
I do recall him saying there were some vague Shakespeare connections, but not that the codename "Dagger" itself had them. But it's all good. I do wish SKT had more overt Shakespearean connections, but that's a topic for another thread.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Wild guesses

Broadway:
- the road to hell is broad but the road to heaven is narrow. Welcome to the Lower Planes!
- an adventure based on Phantom of the Opera.
- world-building material inspired by 3e City of Splendors: Waterdeep

Marathon:
- something Classical Greek flavored, using Bulfinch's Mythology to describe personalities and activities *personal favorite*
- long adventure that has a LOT of travel involved and not easy to bring to an end
- Battle of Helms Deep (as seen in the movie) for 5e

Catacomb:
- Another adventure set in some famous dead (we think) guy's tomb
- designing your own dungeons
- Menzobarranzan / Drow, the OotA chapter was just a teaser for this classic location

Last edited by a moderator:

Catacomb would be too obvious a name, but remember how they did an event at a convention earlier this year where everyone in the room worked together to design a mega-dungeon, and afterward, either Mearls or Crawford said they would find some way to package it up and release it for sale to the general playing population.

Remove ads

Remove ads