Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Why is there the assumption that there’s going to be a specifically planar product? Given the lack of other settings books (SCAG being the closest so far, and that being only partly a gazetteer). Rather, I wonder if we’ll see information on planar adventuring in a book aimed at high-level campaigning alongside topics like strongholds and mass combat. I could see a code like Marathon for this (regarding the long run of a high-level campaign). Having a supplement only tailored to planar travel or planar settings seems contrary to WotC’s direction under 5th edition.

Herosmith14

First Post
Why is there the assumption that there’s going to be a specifically planar product? Given the lack of other settings books (SCAG being the closest so far, and that being only partly a gazetteer). Rather, I wonder if we’ll see information on planar adventuring in a book aimed at high-level campaigning alongside topics like strongholds and mass combat. I could see a code like Marathon for this (regarding the long run of a high-level campaign). Having a supplement only tailored to planar travel or planar settings seems contrary to WotC’s direction under 5th edition.

That would be fun, but they seem to have been hinting at a multi setting thing in past products and US. Gith, Dragonbait, TftYP having a lot of dungeons from other settings, horizon walker, UA DI race

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Herosmith14

First Post

That would be fun, but they seem to have been hinting at a multi setting thing in past products and US. Gith, Dragonbait, TftYP having a lot of dungeons from other settings, horizon walker, UA subraces from other settings, they seem to at least be planning something to do Ewing the current cosmic scheme considering some stuff. But hey, I would not complain is your idea turned out to be right (specially considering I'm trying to figure out a how to make a military campaign adventure).

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Largely because they are testing Planar material in their public play test articles, and have talked about wanting to do something like that.

As much as people have wishful thinking on what these, and other, future products may be, many of these wishes are still too niche to make WotC enough money from publishing them. Look, we are getting three books, maybe four starting next year, per year. They are only going to do the ones they think will grow the brand the most and bring in the most sales, and probably 9 out of every 10 wished for books by people on this forum do not fit that profile. That includes things I would like to see that will never happen. Think mass appeal and very mainstream and accessible to all the brand new players that keep coming into the game and you will be closer to guessing right.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As much as people have wishful thinking on what these, and other, future products may be, many of these wishes are still too niche to make WotC enough money from publishing them. Look, we are getting three books, maybe four starting next year, per year. They are only going to do the ones they think will grow the brand the most and bring in the most sales, and probably 9 out of every 10 wished for books by people on this forum do not fit that profile. That includes things I would like to see that will never happen. Think mass appeal and very mainstream and accessible to all the brand new players that keep coming into the game and you will be closer to guessing right.
Well, sure: that's why I think they will eventually do a big ol' dragon book, for sales.

Cosmic threats are always popular: people like Big Bads for their heroes to fight.

Dougan Axehammer

First Post
Marathon: A races supplement (because a marathon is a race.) Will probably include many of the races, racial variants and feats we've seen in the last several UA articles.

Broadway and Catacomb: WotC has been pretty consistent lately at releasing adventures with significant nods to classic adventures (Ravenloft for Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Horrors for Tomb of Annihilation, Against the Giants for Storm King's Thunder, Temple of Elemental Evil for Princes of the Apocalypse, etc.) My guess would be along those lines. However, the Undermountain is far too vast for only one adventure; the most we could expect of them is to divide it into two adventure books. But I find it more likely to be nods to something generic like the others; we haven't nodded to Shrine of Tomoachan yet (a Catacomb) and the other will nod to something that could have had a Broadway-type place (don't have any guess for that one (Waterdeep based perhaps.)

Manchu2

First Post
Movie updates

As for Undermountain: As I've said elsewhere, since rumor has it the D&D movie is going to be based around Waterdeep/Undermountain, my guess is they're holding this adventure back so they can release it with the movie.[/QUOTE]

...but there has been no new news on the movie for a very long time, hopefully a new novel line, adventure book, etc will tie into a movie for Summer of 2019 (or Fall)...

mankyle

Explorer
Broadway will be the next BIG assed adventure for the next year. Season 7, Tomb of Annihilation will continue until september 2018, so the next big adventure path will be broadway.
I agree that it could be Waterdeep based but we will have to wait to see.

Catacomb looks more like a Tales of the yawning portal "remember" product. There are a lot of famous "catacomb based" classic adventurers that haven't been updated to 5e yet.
We will see....

Regarding "Marathon", I'm envisioning it as marathon of descriptions of classic D&D Campaign worlds updated to 5E. The chapter of Athas ("Dark Sun") would include the Mystic class. The Eberron chapter would include the Artificer. There have been mentions about Spelljammer, and other options could be Dragonlance or even Birthright.

Any other ideas?????

Remove ads

Remove ads