• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

March 2006 FR Release

BlackMoria

First Post
Red Hand of Doom is confirmed as a adventure. This quote is from Richard Baker on the FR discussion boards

Red Hand of Doom is a 128-page "super-adventure" that starts you off at 5th level and takes you up to about 10th or 11th. It's set in a stretch of a fairly generic campaign "region," but here's my secret plan: I made sure that the topography of the place very closely matched up with a piece of the Forgotten Realms map (specifically, the Channath Vale--the region around the Wyrmbones, Rethmar, and the Channathwood). You can drop the adventure into your FR campaign seamlessly.

The authors of the adventure are myself and James Jacobs, of Dungeon magazine.

Nothing has been mentioned about Power of Faerun but I suspect Aaron L hit the nail on the head about a Divine magic of Faerun book.

Hmmmmm. Could we be seeing the return of the Specialty Priests for the deities of FR? I don't find it a concidence that Eric L Boyd is named as one of the authors, since he did the two specialty priest books back in the 2E days.... Interesting indeed.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Woo-hoo!

Sorry, I'm just glad they finally announced it, so I can stop referring to "That product I worked on after I worked on Heroes of Horror" and start calling it by name. ;)

I am interested in Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and True Name Magic, as it covers some areas of magic not widely covered by WotC.

Two D20 companies, Malhavoc Press and Green Ronin, have used true name magic in their products. In Monte Cook's [i}Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved[/I], true names can influence magical effects, as some spells require a true name of a subject to function. Additionally, true names also serve as qualifications for ceremonial feats -- include some that allow spell casters to add templates to their spells. In Green Ronin's Hamunaptra, true names are required for some spells to function and can be a valuable piece of knowledge in confronting an enemy.

Similarly, fantasy literature and folklore has tales of people making pacts with various beings in exchange for power. Perhaps the best known example is the Germani tale of Faust, who sells his sould to the Devil for power.

Shadow magic has been addressed in part by the Forgotten Realms, but has been tied to the goddess Shar. I suspect there are other ways to harness shadow magic that have nothing to do with Shar.

I wonder how much material from other sources, such as ceremonial feats or spell templates, we might see in Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and True Name Magic? Also, I wonder how weil this book might work with other works that have adressed some of the same topics?

Ari, at least you can now use a name for the book. Congratulations!

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
Aaron's seems the most plausible so far, but I have another possible Powers of Faerun definition...

It is a book about the extra-mighty NPCa and Epic Levels in Faerun. Epic and high level PRCs, spells, feats, the Uber-NPCs updated with Epic rules, perhaps some new or extra epic rules. Remember, this the ELH has not been redone for 3.5e, and the original 3.0 epic rules (which were eventually changed) were designed for and published in the FRCS.

William Ronald

Explorer
DM_Matt said:
Aaron's seems the most plausible so far, but I have another possible Powers of Faerun definition...

It is a book about the extra-mighty NPCa and Epic Levels in Faerun. Epic and high level PRCs, spells, feats, the Uber-NPCs updated with Epic rules, perhaps some new or extra epic rules. Remember, this the ELH has not been redone for 3.5e, and the original 3.0 epic rules (which were eventually changed) were designed for and published in the FRCS.

I would like an updated Epic Rules book for many reasons. I was not entirely satisfied with the Epic Level magic system, which seemed to be mechanically different from the rest of the magic system and often seemed unimpressive. Similarly, at times I felt there was a need for a true sense of awe at what an epic level character could do. Perhaps such a book could provide some advice on how to use such epic level characters as NPCs without making non-epic level PCs seem unimportant in comparison.

Waldorf

First Post
A snoozer selection if I ever saw one. At this rate Wizards will have us begging for 4e by midsummer next year.

However, I do like psionics, so maybe I'll pick up that one, if I buy one at all.

I can’t find any listing for Complete Psionic on the US version of Amazon, and only the list prices appear for the others.

Power of Faerun $29.95 US
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-0223953-0715200?v=glance&s=books

Player's Guide to Eberron $29.95 US
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-0223953-0715200?v=glance&s=books

Races of the Dragon $29.95 US
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_5/002-0223953-0715200?v=glance&s=books

Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and True Name Magic $39.95 US

Kae'Yoss

First Post
DM_Matt said:

I doubt it. They would not redo epic rules and then make it a FR book.

Psion

Adventurer
William Ronald said:
I am interested in Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and True Name Magic, as it covers some areas of magic not widely covered by WotC.

Two D20 companies, Malhavoc Press and Green Ronin, have used true name magic in their products.

Three. Mongoose's Quintessential Sorcerer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads