• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[March] What are you reading?

emergent

First Post
I know I am way behind the curve on this one, but I have been reading a lot of Neil Gaiman lately. I just started American Gods and just read the "A Doll's House" Sandman GN at work yesterday (it helps when you work part time at a comic book store).

Damn, he's good.

And, if you include school stuff, there's Maxiene Greene, John Dewey, John Rawls, George Counts, etc (as I am trying to write my comps for my PhD in philosophy of education).

I like this thread. I wil check out the Astro City GN's next time I work. I am daunted by all the Cerebus stuff. I don't think I could get through one of those "phone books", even on a slow day at the store.

Last edited:

theburningman

First Post
Just finished The Subtle Knife, now I'm about halfway through The Amber Spyglass. For the life of me, I haven't been able to understand how anyone could find either of these books disappointing when compared to the first volume The Golden Compass. I think they more they live up to the first book's promise.

CCamfield

First Post
Yes, I'd say the second book by Erikson is better. A lot of really evil stuff happens to characters. Muhahahaha :)

Oh, I meant to post about Piper. I went through a phase of snapping up his books, so I think I have close to a complete collection in paperback (well, 11 of them). However I can't say that I like all of them. It was particularly Uller Uprising where Piper's politics, or at least (political) comments made by the characters, that I didn't like.

That being said probably my favourite Piper is probably Space Viking, which is about as un-PC as they come. :D

GreyOne

Explorer
Cordo said:
I thought Gardens of the Moons was only so so myself, but I loved Deadhouse Gates. The first 30-40 pages of Deadhouse Gates are a little bit hard going though as Erikson just throws you into a new situation with new characters with no acclimation.

I love Erikson so much. They're so epic in scale and I think he's a tremendous storyteller. The third book, Memories of Ice was good too, but Deadhouse Gates remains my favourite so far. Teh fourth book just came out, House of Chains. I like how Erikson is switching back and forth between Seven Cities and Genebackis. The characters, good, evil and all shades between are beautifully written and the sheer scale of the series, I think is almost unmatched. They're as gritty and bloody as Martin. I still tear up over Deadhouse Gates. I do agree that Gardens of the Moon was a bit hard to get into but it really rewards you in the end.

I've read that no US publisher would pick up the series because they thought it would be too complicated. Thus to this point you have to get it through its British (Commonwealth) publishers. It's planned to be 10 books, but don't let this daunt you. Every book seems to be completing a story arc, but still leaves strings untied. It seems that gradually more and more people are picking up on Erikson, and this can only be considered a good thing.

I think this series lends itself to an epic, continent-spanning D&D campaign like no other. I think Erikson has based a lot of it on his own role-playing experiences. His writing can switch from fast-paced, action-oriented prose to complex and thought-provoking prose easily. I love it, even more than Martin.

Chaldfont

First Post
theburningman said:
Just finished The Subtle Knife, now I'm about halfway through The Amber Spyglass. For the life of me, I haven't been able to understand how anyone could find either of these books disappointing when compared to the first volume The Golden Compass. I think they more they live up to the first book's promise.

These books are very good. If you like those, you might also like the Garth Nix series starting with Sabriel.

I just finished John C. Wright's The Golden Age. If you don't take my word for it, you can read Bruce Cordell's review at Amazon.com Review Here .

On the gaming side, I am reading S&S's Hornsaw: Forest of Blood. Man, you gotta love the Scarred Lands.

AuroraGyps

First Post
I'm taking a break from Lackey Valdemar series... 17 in a row is alot. Finished Tanya's Huffs two Keeper books (REALLY funny), the fifth Fanuilh book by Daniel Hood, and just started the BtVS novel Child of the Hunt. After that, we'll see what I'm in the mood for. Good thing I picked up a bunch of books while visiting the parents. :)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Just finished Edgerton's The Queen's Necklace, which was extremely enjoyable. I'll need to skim it again if I ever play in a 7th Sea game.

Now, I'll try Abbey's Sanctuary and see if I like it. If not, Irvine's A Shadow On The Glass still waits for me to come back to it. Or I might try SF.

AuroraGyps

First Post
Man, I loved the Fanuilh books.
Yeah, Fanuilh is such a great little character. I loved him in King's Cure... especially when he was talking about his sense of humor.

"It is funny... It is as if two foxes were to fight, while the- No, that is not right. It is as if two lions- No. It is as if two fisherman were to try to catch one another in their nets, while a shark ate up all the fish."

Rhenford:"That's not funny."

"Better yet, it is as if two shepherds were to fight, while a wolf made off with all their sheep."

Rhenford:"Fine, but it's not funny."

"It is to me, Master"
I want more Tarma and Kethry, blast it.

Me too... and more Warrl. ;-)

Anyways, I finished King's Cure, read the first 2 BtVS adult novels (pretty good... alot like the show), and am now reading the second Sovereign Stone novel, Guardians of the Lost, by Weis & Hickman (much better than the first book). I'm also reading A Gift of Depression, that my counselor lent to me... it's a downer, but hopefully knowing that other people are in something like the same boat I am is a bit of a comfort.

Last edited:

Dave Blewer

First Post
I have just finished Deathstalker from Simon R Green. I am now reading Sharpe's Trafalgar by Bernard Cromwell.

I have actually spent most of the last couple of weeks reading both the Core rulebook and the Slayers Handbook for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG, but for some reason I never count RPG books in lists of books read...

Buffy is an excellent RPG by the way :)

Remove ads