• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Power is ruining my life!

Kaffis

First Post
I already had about 4 characters I want to play in 4th edition, but I'm stuck DMing for now, and can't convince my group to run a second D&D game (we're used to alternating between two games; but right now, we're on a Dark Heresy game that we're trying out after shelving our Saga game)...

And now, Martial Power comes along, and doubles it!

The worst part is, I want to try my hand at all three sides of a themed swashbuckling group including a Daring Acrobat, a Rakish Swashbuckler, and a bravado Warlord! (A tempest fighter would be ideal to round out a 4-man party, of course, but it doesn't call out to me the way the other three do...)

James McMurray

First Post
Sounds like you need to make a rival adventuring party, have a few less than deadly meetings, and culminate it with some mutual beatdowns. The NPC template is great for trying out new characters. :)

Kaffis

First Post
Sounds like you need to make a rival adventuring party, have a few less than deadly meetings, and culminate it with some mutual beatdowns. The NPC template is great for trying out new characters. :)

Ironically, I was going to be generating NPCs for an encounter with classed Eladrin that's too low in level to use the MM entry and/or templates. So, yes, I'm already doing something like this, but hadn't thought of doing it as "less than deadly encounters." Hmm...

tombowings

First Post
The best way to deal with this is a good TPK.

XD I'm going through the same thing. I'm trying not to let myself TPK if I can help it, but if the PCs do something stupid (and they might next session) I wouldn't exactly mind having us all roll up new characters ; )

Hm...I'm not even sure if the other DM in out group would even allow anything at isn't the PHB (even though he's playing a swordmage right now).

peach

First Post
is the current game 4e? if so try to encourage the players to "retrain" to the new builds at next level (i'm so going to change to the acrobat rogue). if not have something unforeseen and external to the game which would compel them to move away from the current game - meteor, war, plague, festival, wedding, death - and split up to "return home". TPK is always last resort. also what's the hurry - wait 2 months for the next book which might have some more cool ideas to try (probably not what WoTC is hoping for).

Shroomy

Adventurer
I know the feeling. I'm currently playing an eladrin artificer multi-classed into rogue, so Martial Powers is not a total loss to me (I've found two feats and a rogue power I want to take), but if my character dies, I want to play a twist on the bravura warlord. Instead of brash, I'm going to be a middle-aged soldier with a depressive, suicidal streak; the powers are perfect for a character who won't kill himself but secretly wants to die.

evilgenius8000

First Post
Yeah... I've decided to multiclass my LFR genasi swordmage into fighter to try out some of the nifty things in there. I wish I could play with the rogue, but unfortunately I want to keep using a khopesh and the rogue is somewhat limited in that regard :(

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Woe to us arcane-powered players. We won't get the goodness until April, and divine characters not until July. It's gonna be a long 5 or 8 months

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads