• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Study of Mountain Tombstone Strike

RigaMortus2

First Post
Iku Rex said:
Good idea. You should call it "Martial Study". :)

And not limit it to only 3 total maneuvers!

So, under this houserule, how does a Fighter recover their expended maneuvers? Or can they only use them once and then get them back for the next encounter?

Solarious

Explorer
More elegant would be to let Fighters grab Manuvers as an initiate of their Fighter level - 2, making the Warblade and Fighter more parallel to each other, and not limit them to only 3 Martial Study feats.

The Fighter still can't recover manuvers in the middle of an encounter, IMO, but they still have plenty of their other feats to fall back on. Remember, when you talk about the Book of Seven Swords, you have to consider the PHB2 and possibly the Complete Warrior in the equation.

hong

WotC's bitch
Patlin said:
Yes, all is now clear. This book does a number of things very strangely, but I think I get it now. :) Wacky that Initiator level unlike Caster level or Manifester level gets increased by unrelated classes.

It makes sense if you remember that Bo9S is basically Iron Heroes 2, and this is how IH handles level prereqs for feat masteries.

I also strongly suspect the lack of prerequisites on that maneuver is an error. Every other 9th level maneuver has a requirement of at least 3 other maneuvers, some as high as 5. If it comes up in one of my games I know I'll house rule it.

shilsen

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
And not limit it to only 3 total maneuvers!

So, under this houserule, how does a Fighter recover their expended maneuvers? Or can they only use them once and then get them back for the next encounter?
I'm not limiting it to three maneuvers. As for recovering them, I haven't decided yet, since I just initiated (pun unintended) the house rule. I'm leaning towards either having each maneuver be usable once every 1d4+1 rds or just once per encounter.

Aaron L

Hero
blargney the second said:
I love the way Initiator level is increased by unrelated classes. I'm somewhat tempted to use that for spellcasting systems as well.

Check out the caster level optional rules in Unearthed Arcana. Every class gets a bonus to Caster Level that adds up.

It's what I use.

Bivotar

First Post
Talon Stormwarden said:
I also strongly suspect the lack of prerequisites on that maneuver is an error. Every other 9th level maneuver has a requirement of at least 3 other maneuvers, some as high as 5. If it comes up in one of my games I know I'll house rule it.

I thought the same thing as well (as did a number of others) but WOTC answered it already with this:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=683775

So there is no error. It's a 9th level maneuver with no pre-reqs other than IL 17.

Bivotar said:
I thought the same thing as well (as did a number of others) but WOTC answered it already with this:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=683775

So there is no error. It's a 9th level maneuver with no pre-reqs other than IL 17.

Nah, what that says is that they're not in the practice of giving errata in customer service answers. There's no ambiguity in the text of the maneuver, so of course all customer service can answer is that there's no prereq. There is no errata yet for TOB so if you want RAW there's no choice. I think it's unreasonable, however, for anyone to believe that was the intent of the author(s). I'm certain once an errata is printed that maneuver will given prerequisites, I know it will have them in my game if it comes up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads