• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Martial vs Caster: Removing the "Magical Dependencies" of high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue isn't whether or not it exists, but whether it and its counterparts represent something the game should have more of.

If you're in the camp that sees Casters as fundamentally flawed game design, having Martials chase them up the bad game design tree isn't how you address that.

Unless we just don't care about whether or not its bad design, at which point I can only throw my hands up and say have at the resulting mess.

Generally speaking if you took martials and jacked them up to the Casters level, or worse made them even more broken as some have said they want, then the game just breaks down further because it fundamentally can't support the weight of what even a moderately sized party could bring to bear.

With Martials as they are now, the game already strains when you approach 5+ players. Martials chasing Casters is going to put that strain at 3+ easily.

So this is the position I share in a perfect world. Casters are broken for the reasons I outlined before (high power + versatility + reliability + no cost) and don't really resemble any archetypes we are trying to model anyway.

Nerf them and make them less versatile and then the martial discussion is easier as they have less far to go.

Like, keep in mind, most everyone says the game breaks down at level 10+, and pretty much any DM will tell you playing pass that level is very difficult to run. Throwing jacked up Martials into that mix is not going to result in improved experiences.

You may not have to be jealous of your Caster buddies anymore, but now you have a nonfunctional game thats incapable of supporting the weight of extremely poorly designed classes.

That said, IF casters remain the same then I disagree on not adding the mythic martial to the mix.

It will be no worse than a party of all casters anyway so why not add another class that at least emulates the mythic martial fantasy for those that want that fun. Since everyone can already (and frequently does) play all casters at high level you aren't really breaking things more.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
In LNO, Warriors have as part of their base abilities a series of unique Siege equipment that they can carry on their person.

Among these is a miniaturized catapult, which with some rope is explicitly called out as being able to fling an entire person across such chasms. And thats just a basic capability; crafted versions that incorporate higher tier materials can do more.

Don't need to get in the weeds trying tk circumvent the Magic tax to incorporate such capabilities.
I appreciate your point that technological tools are nonmagic, and Fighters can use tools.

However, other classes including Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard can also use these same tools.

The Fighter lacks competence in high tier noncombat challenges. The use of high-tech tools, along with skills and perhaps access to magic rituals, can help reduce the painfulness of noncombat. But they dont achieve balance, per se.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah I got the size thing.. I also looked in the PHB (which includes Control Water) and don't see size categories or dimensions listed on any of the boats included there.

Unless i missed it, that stuff doesn't seem to to come in until the Of Ship and Sea UA and then later Ghosts of Saltmarsh book published well after the PHB.

I don't disagree that the sizes listed in the UA are reasonable. But without that information at your fingertips, you've got a caster casting a spell that capsizes water vehicles of a certain size and a core rulebook that doesn't say the size of the water vehicles it lists.

Gasping in shock that this spell, that targets water vehicles specifically with one of its effects, was successful in an encounter with water vehicles seems pretty strange to me.
Huge doesn’t have a defined size range?

Because I didn’t need official size entries to go “wait, how!?” at the thought of ships only being huge.
Fundamentally the game is failing to be fun for some players, and they would like it if the game would change so they could have more fun.
Yeah this is why, even though I don’t really totally agree with the premise, I’m all for addressing the issue for those who do.

HammerMan

Legend
You know what? No. Not that.

I get really sick of so many complaints about the system getting hidden behind "Well, don't you trust your DM? If you trusted your DM this wouldn't be a problem. You need to stop being a problem and just trust your DM."

You know what? Sometimes I'm the DM. And sometimes I don't trust myself. Sometimes I make mistakes, sometimes I get things wrong, sometimes I have good intentions and mess up and make a bad situation for my players that I need to fix. Sometimes I don't even realize that until my players speak up. Does this make me a naughty word-tier DM? No, I don't think so. More often than not my players enjoy what I do and have a blast. But we need to stop acting like the solutions to problems are to put on blindfolds, gags, and handcuffs and throw ourselves upon the ever merciful, ever competent, perfect DM, who if we just TRUST will make sure everything works out for the best.

I'm a DM. I don't like the situation the game puts me in. I don't like how it makes my player's lives harder. I want it fixed. Trusting me doesn't fix it. Fixing it, fixes it.
I right now play with friends I trust and that trust me. Our issue isn’t trust. We have had years and years of experience playing and running. We have found a way to moderate through house rules and hand shake agreements (and some MAD) to make the game work.
None of that Cha ages we want the game to work better

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Skyrim is bailed out by Modders. Morrowind and Oblivion are still very enjoyable run completely vanilla, if you can deal with old graphics. Skyrim has such a critical lack of actual content you need mods just to have something to do.

Meanwhile in 20 years I actually haven't done everything there is to do in Morrowind. (And Daggerfall stans have a continent the size of the UK to play with)
5e is Skyrim.

Without the mods, Skyrim is meh.
Without the non-core houserule, homebrew, and guides, 5e is a good game for levels 3-9.

And this exacerbates the problem.

Because few play to high levels, few know to DM it.
And if you cheat and start the campaign at higher level, player will build more specialized PC with more of the powerful choices and more uderstanding of their features, spells, and individual tactics.

Chaosmancer

Legend
As I thought. You have an extremely permissive DM. Yet you think it’s the spell that makes things unbalanced.

Oh yay. I always love these conversations, they are always so fruitful. Please, bless us with your wisdom.

Firstly the easy one. Unseen servant is mindless and you can’t command it to search a room. That requires intelligence and it’s limited to simple tasks. What stat did your DM make your mindless unseen servant test against for a search test? Lift a key of a peg you can see ok. Search a room, nah! Even ignoring that you took 10 minutes to stand at an open window of the house you were breaking into to cast unseen servant to make it search a room that your permissive DM was generous to let you do… rather than let the rogue take a round to pick the lock? You think the problem is with the spell?

Ah, of course! The servant is mindless so it can't do something like find a key. That would be silly. Why it is limited to tasks like "The servant can perform simple tasks that a human servant could do, such as fetching things, cleaning, mending, folding clothes, lighting fires, serving food, and pouring wine."

Huh, that's weird. You know, the very first thing on the list is fetching something. Now, I don't know about you, but since the Unseen Servant can perform simple tasks that a human can... well, if I asked a human to fetch the bottle of 950's Argonian Wine... I'd expect them to be able to do it. Even if the wine bottle was not in perfectly clear line of sight. In fact, the servant might... have to search for the wine. It may have to open a cabinet. And yet the spell tells us it is perfectly capable of the task. Ah, but that is but a single example right. It isn't like there is a far more complex task on this list, right? Such as... mending?

Now, I don't know if you have ever mended clothes, but it is actually an incredibly complex task. First you have to grab the correct article of clothing, it may even be multiples, but we'll start one at a time. Then you need to get the proper needle, the proper color thread, matching buttons... if the servant lacked the intelligence to look for something... how is it finding all of these things and THEN properly utilizing them to actually effectively mend the clothes?

See, you mistake is you are misinterpreting what "mindless" means. See, mindless is usually utilized to describe someone who is not thinking about something or concerned with something. A mindless task is a task so easy you can do it without considering the task. It is something that... could be done by a machine. And thus we get into what is meant by the spell. Unlike a familiar, or a conjured creauture, the force created by unseen servant lacks a mind, it lacks a will. It is an automaton. That doesn't mean that it cannot successful complete a complex task, that means it has no opinions, no thoughts, it simply does what you say. It cannot observe and report.

Now, maybe the DM did have the key on a hook. I don't know. We didn't have to roll anything, and we didn't have to see the key ourselves. The servant was given a task, and it completed it. That's what it does.

Secondly control water. Anything much bigger than a big 15 foot row boat isn’t affected by the flood effect at all. The ship goes up the wave and over it and isn’t moved. The spell specifically says only huge or smaller boats are affected which in D&D terms is a large rowboat. That 70 ft ship you mentioned is gargantuan. So not moved. Even if it did move (which they don’t) why would the ships colliding destroy the ships? Ships might bump particularly when travelling in the same direction why on earth would you expect that to do catastrophic hull damage? Even a full blown intentional ram at full speed with a ship designed for ramming in 5e wouldn’t destroy a ship with 300 hp. You got that effect from a wave? It also wouldn’t be affected by the whirlpool… firstly the ship is bigger than the whirlpool which is 50ft wide at the top. Sure it does bludgeoning damage to objects. But the ship has a damage soak of 15 so unless you need to get a really really good roll on 2d6 to damage that ship. What is it about the spell that makes you assume the effect would drag a gargantuan ship underwater and sink it? It doesn’t even do that to medium sized people let alone immense objects, creatures just spin around the vortex they don’t even drown. Even the enormous 500 foot whirlpool in Pirates of the Caribbean didnt why would you think your 50 ft whirlpool would too? In this example you and the DM just got the spell wrong.

Why would two boats being forced to move 100 ft in six seconds, crashing into each other damage them? That isn't a bump. And it didn't need to immediately destroy the ship, just cause it to start sinking. Which hull damage can absolutely do.

But since you are so obsessed with the size, I dug through our old files. The game was only two years ago, so I still have the map. And it turns out, I was wrong about a few things.

1687313976366.png

It was only the whirpool, I didn't use the flood. And they were 20 ft long long boats. So, they were small enough. Also, the whirlpool does 2d8 damage. Kind of weird you want to rant about my DM getting the rules wrong when you are also getting them wrong.

But let's take a moment here, before I get to you cracking up. How do the boat's escape the vortex? They need to make a strength athletics check, and since they are caught, that would be with disadvantage. So that would be a check based on.. the rowers, right? So, once the boats were caught, they were stuck and taking damage. Even if it didn't happen in a single round... who cares?

Finally, Wall of Fire cracks me up. Wall of Fire doesn’t damage objects in the first instance. It damages creatures. It literally says that in the spell. So the ship isn’t set on fire at all. Secondly it is a perfect circle or a line - you can’t make it boat shaped. So unless your ship was circular there would have been a safe space at the front or the back. But let’s say the crew jumped over board - they would have been burnig
If I’m the radius so it makes sense. Why didn’t they just swim back to the absolutely-not-on-fire ship? Of course it’s not possible to cast wall of Fire on the deck of a ship either way because it has to be a solid surface. Ships move… that’s literally what they’re intended to do. So that ships deck isn’t there a second later? Or do you think wall of Fire can fly now? First time I’ve ever seen someone advocate for moving walls of fire.

1687314403183.png

Yep, I totally see that docked ship moving and there is clearly spaces at the ends where they could safely stand.

By the way, did you know that planet's spin? They actually aren't stationary. Guess that means wall of fire can't be cast on the planet. Or, it turns out, that a ship's deck is a solid surface by literally any definition of the terms, and the point is you can't have a wall of fire bridge a gap.

And you know, a massive wall of fire catching flammable things on fire... isn't exactly a stretch. Especially since the majority of fire spells make mention of it. And things like Flame Storm specifically allow for things to not be caught on fire. Unclear rules or a DM bending over backwards to lavish their player with undue power? Frankly, you will say the second even if I could find the transcripts of the exact interaction.

Just like you claimed you one shotted a 14th level rogue with Whirlwind despite the fact that it would only deal 5d6 damage to the rogue - none on a Dex save! (they have Evasion) and the damage is only dealt once, not every turn.

Different DM.

I think maybe if I was your DM you would have a more balanced view of magic. I don’t have a problem with players making mistakes with spells. I also don’t have a problem with generous DMs. I do have a problem with folks claim it’s the systems fault.

I never claimed any of this was the systems fault. I claimed that having these options is more powerful than not having them. But I'm sure you'll continue to berate me because my DM didn't specifically cater to your exact interpretation of the rules and therefore everything I did was invalid and therefore the fact that the barbarian in the group was just standing around waiting for an enemy to get closer and had no access to AOE's at all is totally my DM's fault for being too nice and not the fact that the system gives spellcasters far more options than it gives martials.

Chaosmancer

Legend
You know what makes this whole "your experience with spells doesn't count because your DM did it wrong" thing even worse?

Whenever I mention that a DM might not let a martial do something a little out of line, you know, maybe catch something on fire that can't normally be caught on fire, then I am descended upon by people telling me that Bad DMs aren't the fault of the system and DMs should absolutely be lenient and allow such things.

So.. kind of weird, isn't it? If we say "this is how we used a spell" and it isn't 105% RAW and exactly perfect, then it doesn't count. But if we say martials might not get the chance to do things beyond the 100% literal RAW... we are told no good DM would ever do that, and that DMs should absolutely allow things that are a little outside of RAW.

Or, in other words, we will always be told that the DM should favor the position of the people who disagree with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads