• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Martial vs Caster: Removing the "Magical Dependencies" of high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Using "damage" to bring down a Wall of Force makes less sense.

Force is a physical but immaterial force. Gravity is a kind of Force Construct.

To use a sword to bring down a Wall of Force would be conceptually like using a sword to diminish the force of gravity.

But, to use a Strength Check to push thru a Wall of Force, to overcome its area of repulsion, does make conceptual sense.
okay, sure yes, the fighter uses athletics to push their way through the wall of force, but the point being they are now on the other side, ideally they might of even forced a hole open in the wall now where their allies can follow through behind them if they had any, a wizard would've used dispel magic, a fighter has used athletics, but the obstacle has now been dealt with and it wasn't only one the classes with magic who could provide a solution to it.

HammerMan

Legend
I find this extremely unlikely to say the least. What evidence do you have that WotC even acknowledges your concerns as a problem, let alone one they're willing to re-design the game to address? They are bending over backwards to make OneD&D backwards compatible with a game that has all the problems you describe, to the point where they're not even willing to officially replace the 2014 PH with what they consider better design work, and are instead allowing people to choose. You cannot turn to WotC for help here.
Why do I need to justify what I want but other people can say what they want?

HammerMan

Legend
Warlock PC: I draw power from mysterious forces.
DM: Oh, what patron did you pick?
Warlock PC: I didn't pick one. They are mysterious. I don't feel I need to tie my character to any one patron.
DM: That's not how that works...
I mean GOO doesn’t name an entity it’s just “something old and mysterious “. Even fey and infernal pacts are “something vague fey and something vague demon or devil.”

The patrons are as vague or as spesfic as the campaign dictates.

HammerMan

Legend
I just want to make sure people don't forget that just because you're concerned about high level abilities doesn't mean you can ignore low levels in a 20 level class. What differentiates a 1st level mythic martial from a 1st level fighter? How do the subclasses work? What low level class features are going to be built upon at higher levels, like how every other class works? The reason you want the class is only part of what you need to make the class.
So at 1st level you can atwill knock someone back with your shield stup up following them and attack at will. At 20tg level you can do the same but at 3w. At 1st level once per short rest you can make an attack with advantage and once per day you can make 3 attacks. At 20tg level you have a half dozen or more options spread out over all three pillars of play on top of that scaled at will

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
okay, sure yes, the fighter uses athletics to push their way through the wall of force, but the point being they are now on the other side, ideally they might of even forced a hole open in the wall now where their allies can follow through behind them if they had any, a wizard would've used dispel magic, a fighter has used athletics, but the obstacle has now been dealt with and it wasn't only one the classes with magic who could provide a solution to it.
I can see the Fighter pushing thru the force of the Wall of Force (or Tiny Hut or Forcecage).

But a person couldnt cause a "hole" in gravity by moving thru it.

The only way I could see the Fighter "force a hole" in a Wall of Force, would be if the Soul of the Fighter exerted a magical effect, to modify the shape of the area of Force.

This magic of the soul would have less to do with the Fighter being magical, and more to do with the limitations of Force magic itself. So Souls (and ether and other Force effects like Magic Missile) can interfere with Force Constructs.

Using "damage" to bring down a Wall of Force makes less sense.

Force is a physical but immaterial force. Gravity is a kind of Force Construct.

To use a sword to bring down a Wall of Force would be conceptually like using a sword to diminish the force of gravity.

But, to use a Strength Check to push thru a Wall of Force, to overcome its area of repulsion, does make conceptual sense.
"Force" is a mechanical damage tag in D&D. It does not have any in-setting meaning beyond what DMs give it.

Likewise objects and characters interact with it using the rules dictated by the game designer and enforced by the DM.

Any and all such interactions can "make sense" because it is a piece of a fantasy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads