Marvel Superheroes: Game Closed

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
So of course I'm digging through some old stuff that was left at my parents when I lost everything new I owned. And with it's torn cover and missing pages I got to remembering all to kool adventures, characters and times I had playing...

Marvel Superheroes

Now as a total interest check only...

1)Who out there even plays Superhero RPGs anymore?
2)Remembers the Advanced Marvel Superheroes game?
3)Thinks a PBP superhero campaign would be fun?
4)Or would like a living world style game where everyone makes a character and plays as time arrives?
5)Would like to help me finish my comic book by playing it out?
6)Who would play a villian/anti hero?
7)Wants to just make up characters?
8)Has Nightmares of Futures Past? And would send me a copy?

I don't have to much time at this moment to start another game but after the holidays or just as a weekly posting to start. The ideal here is to see what people think of the system and Superhero RPG in general (to bad my DC Heroes wasn't in that shoebox).

HolyMan

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've played it before and I love the game, but I don't own the rules. I love superhero games in general, but it depends on the ruleset being used. I'm not a fan of M&M at all (I think d20 is a bad system for superheroes). I prefer the tri-stat system like Silver-Age Sentinels or Palladium's Heroes Unlimited. I'd love to help you out however you decide to do it, especially if it is Marvel-style (not a big DC fan myself).

Walking Dad

First Post
1)Who out there even plays Superhero RPGs anymore?
- I do :)

2)Remembers the Advanced Marvel Superheroes game?
- The one before saga? Yes :)

3)Thinks a PBP superhero campaign would be fun?
- Yeah.

4)Or would like a living world style game where everyone makes a character and plays as time arrives?
- Not as much.

5)Would like to help me finish my comic book by playing it out?
- Yes :)

6)Who would play a villian/anti hero?
- Would do an anti-hero (do you know Deadpool or the Authority?)

7)Wants to just make up characters?
- I know so much, I fear it will be subconscious copies :(

8)Has Nightmares of Futures Past? And would send me a copy?
- Will take a look around.

Systems:
I like M&M (2nd). Know the Tri-Stat Rules (they are still free :lol:). Champion is a nit complicated for my taste.

@airwalkrr: Is your dislike informed or just a feeling? I can accept both, just curious.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=My rant on M&M]I've played M&M twice with two completely different groups. The second time around, it was with a group I regularly game with and we like to switch off games from time to time. The GM really really wanted to run M&M and I warned him that last time I played it (1st ed) I did not have a good time. He still wanted to run it. I offered to just show up to the games and hang out and wait until we switched to another system, but he wanted me to run a character anyway. I figured I'd give it a shot since the last game we had played (Mage the Ascension) was a game the GM didn't really like and he still played. The M&M game was so frustrating I got up and left in the middle of a session once after my character (who was supposed to be a "god") got knocked out from one pretty moderate hit while being perfectly healthy. It wasn't even a bad hit and I didn't even roll that bad of a damage save, but I was still knocked out. Not stunned. Knocked out. And I had built my character to take hits. I could go on about the dozens of things I find wrong with the system, like using one die (not just one die type, but one die period), but I don't care to get that in depth. I just think M&M is a really dumb way to represent superheroes. I've played other super games that do it much better and prefer them. 2nd ed is marginally better in some ways, but in others it takes a retrograde step, as if they didn't realize where d20 worked for them and changed it just to make their game seem more of an original concept when it didn't need to be.[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
That sound strange. Do you recall specifics? What PL had the character? Could you use hero points. To be honest, damage save is the one mechanic I'm not so happy about, too.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Thanks for all the input sorry I can not comment on M&M (never even read the rules) but what you describe seems like a general miss read of the rules. You know the GM reads the rules and you make a character and later he figures out he was doing something wrong changes up and your guy is weaker because of it.

It would defentily be the Marvel system, and we would make are own characters. But what type of game is a big question. Everyone a single hero who meet up know and again, a group, a duo (like Hawk and Dove lol) and should I play in the Marvel universe make my own start out with the players as the only heroes?

These are the questions I would like addressed before so if I start a game it is what people want to play.

anti-heroes yes I know Deadpool :)

Anyway something else kool we did with the Marvel game was find pictures like the one below and make up names, powers, and origins for the characters. I was surfing for hero pics and found this one. Everyone feel free to name and think up powers for these guys :cool:

HM

Attachments

• Indonesian_Super_Heroes_by_RagaLangit.jpg
    Indonesian_Super_Heroes_by_RagaLangit.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 306

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=More ranting on M&M]As for specifics, I recall that at the time my GM agreed with me that I had the highest damage save possible for characters of our PL (which was 10). And I still got knocked out in one hit. Now if the hit had been a critical and I had rolled low, like a 2 or 3, I could maybe understand it. But that is not what happened. Incidentally, I found PL 10 to be pretty wimpy for "gods." (Our characters were all supposed to be gods.) And yes we could use hero points, but like I said, I didn't roll that low. I rolled pretty close to average, so I wasn't thinking I was gonna get knocked completely unconscious. I figured it would be just a normal hit at worst. I really gave that system an honest try, twice. I tried to read the rules and be a good player. It's just a bad system. There is too much randomness in some places and leads to a lot of anti-heroic moments. You could never run a solo M&M campaign without the GM cheating to keep you in the game because sooner or later a bad run of luck will find you dead to a luck shot from a mook.[/sblock]

I'd be happy to play Advanced Marvel. I just don't have the book. I used to play it with another group and just borrowed a copy from the GM. Is there a cheap pdf out there anywhere?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
WOW WD That is a great spot thanks now I can recover my missing pages LOL :)

There are the rules now to see what kind of game to run???

HM

Remove ads