Marvel's Iron Fist Season 2 - Much Better

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just finished Iron Fist season 2 yesterday. I was okay with the first season, but this was better. They found their legs... just in time to get cancelled. :(

Heroes for Hire would be my preference

Mine too. But, I don't think that's what they're going to do.

If you were *planning* a shift, you'd announce that - "We are going to go forward with these characters in a new show, Heroes for Hire!" But they just *cancelled*.

My first guess is that Disney backed up a truck of money to the Netflix offices and said, "While we have a solid licensing agreement, and you are entirely within your rights to continue making these shows, we don't really want to split our streaming audience across multiple platforms. Please accept this truck of money as an alternative to producing the shows."

The real question is... are the main actors *still* under contract? If so, we may see something more. If they've wrapped up those contracts, they are done.

Hussar

Legend
I hadn't heard that Luke Cage got the axe too. Kinda a shame. Both shows had a much stronger second season than first and they were both setting up some interesting stories for their third seasons.

Here's hoping for a Heroes for Hire series. I think that would be much stronger.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... and they were both setting up some interesting stories for their third seasons.

I thought season 3 of Luke Cage was set up for, "Luke decides to become a dumpster fire." There is no way, "hero decides to personally fill the crime lord power vacuum he created," ends up well for him.

Hussar

Legend
I thought season 3 of Luke Cage was set up for, "Luke decides to become a dumpster fire." There is no way, "hero decides to personally fill the crime lord power vacuum he created," ends up well for him.

Like I said, interesting. Watching the implosion of characters is interesting. At least to me. That's why I love Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

I could very well see that they didn't really have a good idea on where to go from there and how to turn him into a hero again with that end. Maybe that caused for some "creative differences" overall.

That said, I could see that Jessica Jones might beat/bone some sense into Luke again?

Hussar

Legend
OTOH, I just watched the first episode of Season 3 of Daredevil. WOW. Not exactly standard superhero fare. Really good stuff. Slow, deliberate, and just atmospheric as hell. I'm deliberately pacing myself and not bingeing this one. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That said, I could see that Jessica Jones might beat/bone some sense into Luke again?

I don't think she's physically strong enough for the former. The latter is pretty lame, unless they head towards the real relationship they have in the comics, and that's not really just "Luke Cage" any more, in that it isn't a solo show.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
OTOH, I just watched the first episode of Season 3 of Daredevil. WOW. Not exactly standard superhero fare. Really good stuff. Slow, deliberate, and just atmospheric as hell. I'm deliberately pacing myself and not bingeing this one. :D

I have watched all but the final episode of season 3. And I agree, it is pretty darned good stuff, and actually presents things in a way that makes how the Kingpin operates... at least open to suspension of disbelief, if not plausible.

My takeaway from it is... I want to be Foggy Nelson when I grow up. He's like... Captain America who can't punch worth a darn, but that makes him more, not less. YMMV, of course.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

And I don't think it was intended to end up well for him. I think we'd have been seeing stories focused on how power corrupts - or at least tempts one into corruption - before Luke pulled his head out of his posterior and became a better man again. Pretty good, meaty stuff for a season of a superhero show. Unfortunately, unless Marvel relaunches from this point on whatever Disney online engine they start up, we'll never know.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!

Finished DD3 yesterday, blown away! As good a show as I've ever seen - hands down. Going to start season 1 again. Golden age of TV indeed!

Remove ads