Marvels Multiverse RPG: Have You GM/Played It and Your Opinions

Is the Marvel Multiverse RPG Worth Playing In Your Opinion, and Why?

teitan

Legend
If you like rules light, most of the book is Marvel U characters, with simple mechanics, (yes I think it is simple, even damage) then it's a great game. It isn't balanced but neither was FASERIP Marvel or MEGS. This is beer and pretzels with a side of reese' cups.

It is a throwback on the balance thing because it puts that in the GM's hands. As the arbiter of the game it's the onus of the GM to actually drive game play and not let one player, say Captain Marvel, outshine another player, Hawkeye. You have two very different rank characters in the same group but a good GM can make it work and have them on the same team.

And rank, don't let it fool you, it isn't a character progression system. It's a measure of power like Magneto being a Class M mutant. The game doesn't have a clear cut advancement mechanic and encourages different reward mechanics for play. You can still play the Avengers with the broad ranks in power. It isn't a leveling up mechanic but can be used in such a way if you want to emulate that mid90s power up the X-Men got to make them comparable or more powerful than the Avengers rather than Teen Titans level of power as they were throughout Claremont's run. It will probably be easier to run with all the characters of the same rank though.

It's very much a throwback game in the playstyle expected of the GM, like 5e was/is. Rulings, not rules. They've issued an errata for it that goes a long way to fixing (RAI is big with it) issues in the core book and the Roll20 and Kindle versions are already updated to my knowledge.

It is limited in powers but no moreso than the basic Marvel set from 1984 in what powers it has, in fact it has more in it than the classic orange box which many critics are unfavorably comparing this game to because of its "lack of powers" and about the same as the Advanced set from 1985. The X-men expansion coming... soon or summer, I hear conflicting details... adds a lot more powers and then the Spider-verse book. My own hope is that they release a collection of powers in one book at some point like the old Ultimate Powers book.

The core book has a HUGE chunk of characters and Cataclysm of Kang, the first adventure with adventures for characters of each rank, has a tuckus load more including Adam Warlock!

I think it is unfair to compare it to Champions, MEGS or M&M and should be compared to something like FASERIP or even Icons, power based design instead of effects based. Buttttt it reminds me a LOT of M&M 1e which was a mix of effects based and power based design that was more reminiscent of FASERIP or Villains & Vigilantes than 2e's more MEGs/CHampions inspired effect based design. It more favorably compares to V&V & Basic Marvel with character modeling encouraged over random or point buy character creation.

Last edited:

damiller

Adventurer
If you like rules light, most of the book is Marvel U characters, with simple mechanics, (yes I think it is simple, even damage) then it's a great game. It isn't balanced but neither was FASERIP Marvel or MEGS. This is beer and pretzels with a side of reese' cups.

It is a throwback on the balance thing because it puts that in the GM's hands. As the arbiter of the game it's the onus of the GM to actually drive game play and not let one player, say Captain Marvel, outshine another player, Hawkeye. You have two very different rank characters in the same group but a good GM can make it work and have them on the same team.

And rank, don't let it fool you, it isn't a character progression system. It's a measure of power like Magneto being a Class M mutant. The game doesn't have a clear cut advancement mechanic and encourages different reward mechanics for play. You can still play the Avengers with the broad ranks in power. It isn't a leveling up mechanic but can be used in such a way if you want to emulate that mid90s power up the X-Men got to make them comparable or more powerful than the Avengers rather than Teen Titans level of power as they were throughout Claremont's run. It will probably be easier to run with all the characters of the same rank though.

It's very much a throwback game in the playstyle expected of the GM, like 5e was/is. Rulings, not rules. They've issued an errata for it that goes a long way to fixing (RAI is big with it) issues in the core book and the Roll20 and Kindle versions are already updated to my knowledge.

It is limited in powers but no moreso than the basic Marvel set from 1984 in what powers it has, in fact it has more in it than the classic orange box which many critics are unfavorably comparing this game to because of its "lack of powers" and about the same as the Advanced set from 1985. The X-men expansion coming... soon or summer, I hear conflicting details... adds a lot more powers and then the Spider-verse book. My own hope is that they release a collection of powers in one book at some point like the old Ultimate Powers book.

The core book has a HUGE chunk of characters and Cataclysm of Kang, the first adventure with adventures for characters of each rank, has a tuckus load more including Adam Warlock!

I think it is unfair to compare it to Champions, MEGS or M&M and should be compared to something like FASERIP or even Icons, power based design instead of effects based. Buttttt it reminds me a LOT of M&M 1e which was a mix of effects based and power based design that was more reminiscent of FASERIP or Villains & Vigilantes than 2e's more MEGs/CHampions inspired effect based design. It more favorably compares to V&V & Basic Marvel with character modeling encouraged over random or point buy character creation.
you said it better than I could!

R_J_K75

Legend
My own hope is that they release a collection of powers in one book at some point like the old Ultimate Powers book.
I would prefer a series of books that included powers, same with characters, but it seems like they will be spread out over various supplements and adventures making it necessary to have a stack of books on the game table. I find that to be an issue with any system that has a single core rule book IMO.

teitan

Legend
I would prefer a series of books that included powers, same with characters, but it seems like they will be spread out over various supplements and adventures making it necessary to have a stack of books on the game table. I find that to be an issue with any system that has a single core rule book IMO.
How is that different from any other game???

R_J_K75

Legend
Its not for the most part, I'd just preferred a book for the Marvel characters akin to the Monster Manual(s) to make things easier and quicker to find. But we'll see how things work out after I actually run a game.

Thomas Shey

Legend

There are a pretty fair number of supers games that have at least all of the powers in one place, and even licensed products with character writeups can keep it down to a dull roar; the last DC game (the one Green Ronin did) had all the characters within two books.

There are a pretty fair number of supers games that have at least all of the powers in one place, and even licensed products with character writeups can keep it down to a dull roar; the last DC game (the one Green Ronin did) had all the characters within two books.

That was a DC license requirement, not a Green Ronin choice. Their deal was for three books total, I think?

Greg K

Legend
There are a pretty fair number of supers games that have at least all of the powers in one place
Correct, there are several superhero games that have a supplement devoted to expanding the list of powers (by adding new powers and/or showing how to build new powers with existing powers and modifiers) and having all of the powers in one place. Off the top of my head are the following:
  • Bash! Unlimited Edition has the Awesome Powers Omnibus
  • Champions 5e has the UNTIL Superpowers Database (ok, this two volumes)
  • Champions Complete has the Champions Powers Supplement
  • DC Universe (West End Games) had the Directive on Super Powers supplement
  • Icons: Assembled Edition has the Great Power supplement (which was an updated version of the power supplement of the same name for the prior version of Icons).
  • Marvel Super Heroes Advanced (TSR) had Ulitimate Powers
  • Mutants and Masterminds 2e had Ultimate Power suppliment
  • Mutants and Masterminds 3e has Power Profiles book which could also be used for DC Adventures

R_J_K75

Legend
I don't see why that changes anything. Any number of supers games have some pretty concentrated villain collections. Its fundamentally not a different approach than making fantasy bestiaries.
Correct, there are several superhero games that have a supplement devoted to expanding the list of powers
If this version of a Marvel Superheroes RPG gets legs and is around for a long time and they keep the format of introducing characters (heroes & villains) and new powers, gear, vehicles, etc throughout various supplements and adventures, I can see it becoming cumbersome for me as I get older and spend less time reading books and prepping/playing games. It's not a make or break for me but certainly affects what I may purchase.

Remove ads