• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masks of Nyarlathotep: Chapter 1 (New York City)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
"If anyone has to go speak to the lady, let it be me. I'm a dab hand at soothing frazzeled nerves and tempers, if she's uncomfortable talking about it. Heaven knows I would be," Miriam says, taking tea instead of wine.
"I was about to suggest much the same thing," William says, his cigar clamped between his teeth. "Strikes me that a lady would be more inclined to speak her mind to another lady, present company especially. And perhaps somebody should check up on this strange African woman seen in Carlyle's company." He looks at his watch. "In fact, as it's early, I can make a stop by some places and see what I can find." He drains his wine.

yangnome

First Post
"Either you can talk to her or I will Miriam. I'll also check with the church and see if there is anythig they know. If Biblical treasures are involved, or even if it is just rumor, they may have some information."

Father O'Malley then glances over to Shellenback," So how do you think the Robins will do this year?"

Album Cover X

First Post
"Not all that well I'm afraid, Father," E.G. says while he begins to put on his overcoat.

"I believe the Giants or the boys from Pittsburgh have the most solid chances to win the pennant this year. Pitching is the weak link in the chain for your Robins Father. There's always next year," he finishes with a wink toward Father O'Malley.

"It is time for me to leave. I can be reached at The World offices if there is a development. I also believe I can help by speaking with some of my colleagues over at the Pillar and attempt to locate any 'unpublished' information about the expedition."

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
William puts down his wine glass and stamps out the stub of his cigar. "I think that I'd best be going, as well," he says. "I'll stop by City Hall, police, library, the standard fare, see what I can find out about this black woman with Carlyle. Then I'd probably best be heading home. I'll call one of you as soon as is possible." He gathers his coat and hat, bids farewell to the others, and makes his way to the doors.

Gomez

First Post
As the gathering breaks up and everyone goes their separate ways, a nagging feeling seeps it's way into each person's thoughts. Will this collaboration be anything like the last? Could it lead to the same type of ghastly horrors found in the basement of that fiend Stanford. These thoughts quickly dissipate as you remember the thrill and adventure of the chase and the solid conviction that you saved a child in grave peril.

E.G.

The next day you go down to the offices of the Pillar/Reposte newspaper. You have a friend down there who is a news editor, George Blank. He rises from his chair as you enter his cluttered office. "Why E.G.! What brings you down to the Pilliar? Did The World fire you? Do you need a job?" He says with a wide grin.

William

William spends most of the next day trying to track down any information on Nichonka Bunay, the Negro woman who was entangled with Roger Carlyle. While most of your sources tend to lean to the unusal, it is of little help in finding any information on her until you remember Gloria Goldman, a gossip columnist and society busybody. She is a good informat on the goings on of the upper crust in New York City. A quick phone call gets her at her Manhatten apartment. "Oh William! Good to hear from you! How is your wife, kids, and that adorable brother of yours?"

Father O'Malley

Making the rounds at various offices and churches, you talk to several people in the "know" in the church. No one has heard anything about the Carlyle Expedition or Jackson Elias.

Charles and Miriam

Working together you do some research into Erica Carlyle. Miss Carlyle is presently living at the Carlyle House in Westchester. She is 26 years old and the sole heir to the Carlyle fortune since the New York state court declared Roger Carlyle dead. Looking over newspaper clipping concerning the shift of control of Carlyle fortune, the name of Bradley Grey, a partner in the Dunstan, Whittleby, and Grey law firm, is mentioned several times. Gossip also says that she frequents the swank Ricco's, a upscale speakeasy.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Gomez said:
"Oh William! Good to hear from you! How is your wife, kids, and that adorable brother of yours?"
"Everyone's fine, Gloria, thank you for asking. And how are you doing? I'm calling you because myself and a few friends of mine have recently been looking into that dreadful Carlyle affair for another friend of ours - you know, when that bloke disappeared in Africa? Anyway, I was wondering if you'd heard anything about a black woman that was seen with Mr. Carlyle quite a bit. Nichonka Bunay, her name was? Quite a strange name, isn't it?"

Gomez

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
"Everyone's fine, Gloria, thank you for asking. And how are you doing? I'm calling you because myself and a few friends of mine have recently been looking into that dreadful Carlyle affair for another friend of ours - you know, when that bloke disappeared in Africa? Anyway, I was wondering if you'd heard anything about a black woman that was seen with Mr. Carlyle quite a bit. Nichonka Bunay, her name was? Quite a strange name, isn't it?"

Humm Carlyle....yes I remember....quite a scandel at the time. Nichonka Bunay was some sort of self-styled poetess who got her claws into Roger Carlyle but deep. She was very beautiful, exotic, and odd in strange way. Poor Roger was completely taken in by her. There were rumors of debaucheries and worse. I think that she might had put that whole Egyptian expedition into his head. Though, I think she died with the rest of them in Africa.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Gomez said:
Charles and Miriam

Working together you do some research into Erica Carlyle. Miss Carlyle is presently living at the Carlyle House in Westchester. She is 26 years old and the sole heir to the Carlyle fortune since the New York state court declared Roger Carlyle dead. Looking over newspaper clipping concerning the shift of control of Carlyle fortune, the name of Bradley Grey, a partner in the Dunstan, Whittleby, and Grey law firm, is mentioned several times. Gossip also says that she frequents the swank Ricco's, a upscale speakeasy.
"Well, that was easy enough. I'll head over to the speakeasy tonight and see if I can't find her and talk to her. Perhaps I'll offer to do a reading, she might be interested in that, many people with deceased loved ones are. Would you care to take Bradley, Charles?" Miriam says, getting ready to head out to a hair appointment.

*Sitting in her chair and getting her hair appropriately curled, Miriam tries to strike up conversation about some of the New York socialite crowd, particularly trying to focus on people that haven't been seen a while. Where are they now? is the question she tries to get people to talk about. While people talk about it, she drops Roger Carlyle's name and wonders about some of his personal habits and whatnot that made him so popular. Miriam wants as much information as possible about him if she's to do a "reading" for his sister.*

*If she's able to get some appropriate information, she'll double check with her maid, and then spend the rest of the morning brushing up on what the almanac says about the positions of the planets and stars, as well as checking up on the days horiscopes. Being able to drop information like that at the drop of a hat was essential in Miriam's business. When evening arrives, Miriam will dress as fashionably as possible, and call for cab, looking for a company that's known to have closed-mouth drivers.*

Gomez

First Post
Miriam and Charles

Listening to the gossip at the hairdressers, Miriam is able to pick up some bits of information on Roger Carlyle. Some of the older women remember him as a rich playboy about town who spent alot of time at parties, clubs, and in the company of beautiful women. He was known as abit of a trouble maker but he was able to buy his way out any difficulties that might arise.

Miriam arrives later that night at Ricco's speakeasy on the lower east side. The outside is just a plain door down a short flight of stairs. Though men and women in stylish evening dress are seen entering and exiting. Knocking on the door a eye level slit is opened and a pair of eyes looks you over for a second. Then the door opens to the sound of jazz and conversation. As your enter, you step into a art deco decorated night club. A jazz band plays in the background as young gentlemen and ladies swing on the dance floor. Crowded tables fill the rest of the club. Off to the side a bar is doing brisk business. A pretty coat check girl takes your fur coat and a man in a black suit, perfectly styled hair, and a thin mustache comes up to you. "Welcome to Ricco's, madam. I believe I have a table open. Would you follow me." he says in a slick italian accent. As Miriam is about to respond, she sees Charles wave to her from a table off to the side of the room.

Last edited:

Gomez

First Post
Father O'Malley

After a long day, Father O'Malley returns Saint Francis' and has a bit to eat with Father Duffy and then retires to his room to do some quiet reading. About a hour later, there is a knock at your door and Father Duffy sticks his head in your room. "Sean, I know it's late but there is a phone call for ya and the man on the line says it is important." Going to the church office, Father O'Malley picks up the phone. "Hello?"

The familar voice Jackon Elias answers. "Thank God, O'Malley, I hoped you were home." You can detect a hint of fear in his voice. You don't remember every seeing Jackson afraid before. "I don't have much time, have you gotten a team together? You have! Great, I am going to need all the help I can get. I am on to something big. I...well....*sob*....Sorry, I just have been on the go and I am badly in need of some rest." The line seems to go dead for almost half a minute. "Sean! Meet me at my hotel. It's the Chelsea Hotel, room 4B, tomorrow around 7:00 PM. I have some errands to run, but I should be back by then. Well I have to run. See you tomorrow." With that the line goes dead.

Last edited:

Remove ads