• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

massive damage variants

Garet Jax

Explorer
Hi,

Posted this question on Monte's site but no response so I'll try here.

After toying around with the idea of VP/WP in D&D I've concluded that 1) it's too lethal, and 2) it would require too many changes to all the subsystems in the core rules ie weapon damage, spells, feats, magic items, sneak attack, etc. And this is after looking at a dozens of different variants.

The next best thing IMO is d20 Modern's massive damage system, which I think is superior to D&D's MDT 50 fort save or die mechanic. The only problem I see with using d20M's MDT is that it doesn't scale very well in D&D. MDT based on Con alone works for campaigns where most combatants are medium sized humans but not so well when when your opponents have Con 20-35 and deal 2d6+15 on a normal hit. High level PCs and NPCs also usually have fort saves in the high teens and 20s, which makes these MDT saves 95% successful and takes all the suspense out of the mechanic.

I've also looked at UA's variant MDT rules but didn't find anything really appealing. Grim Tales has a variant where MDT is based on your Con + armor bonus + shield bonus + natural armor bonus but this seems to heavily favor warrior types and monsters while penalizing sorcerers/wizards/monks too much IMO.

The best I can come with is this: your MDT=Con + HD/2, which can be increased with Toughness feat (+3). Per UA, your fort save DC=15 +2/10 points of damage over your MDT. If you fail your save, you are at -1 hp and dying. This way, your 100 hp fighter will think twice before charging that war1 orc with a longbow.

Any better houseruled versions of MDT out there that works for D&D?

hong

WotC's bitch
What do you want to achieve by tweaking MDT? Are you trying to make combat more dicey, less dangerous, or what?

Garet Jax

Explorer
Very cool website, Hong! I like your variant VP/WP system.

I'm trying to make combat a bit more dangerous. Something a little less video gamish than the current hp system but not as deadly as VP/WP. VP works great for Star Wars and IMO would have been fine in Modern as well, but requires too much rule tinkering in D&D, esp for novice GMs. Don't get me wrong, MDT is still pretty abstract, but it's a nod in the right direction when you're trying to make combat a bit more realistic.

GJ

Remove ads