Master crafter

B4cchus

Explorer
The guild was explicitly placed away from the order, further form it's influence. That -could- mean just moving out of the buildings of the order but not out of the city (which the order probably wouldn't allow anyway). So moving the main guildhouse from Fallon to Medibaria seems lieka agood plan.

One of those Omega 'people' could include the order's emissary in the guilkd's counsel.
Those Omega names don't mean much to me, do you have any hint on thier personality/background in order top detemine who is the best candidate?

Rystil Arden

First Post
B4cchus said:
The guild was explicitly placed away from the order, further form it's influence. That -could- mean just moving out of the buildings of the order but not out of the city (which the order probably wouldn't allow anyway). So moving the main guildhouse from Fallon to Medibaria seems lieka agood plan.

One of those Omega 'people' could include the order's emissary in the guilkd's counsel.
Those Omega names don't mean much to me, do you have any hint on thier personality/background in order top detemine who is the best candidate?
The Academy itself refuses to move from the abandoned ruins of Old Medibaria, but there's a bustling new city of Medibaria right next to it (which makes a really cool image, with the new city just next to the old). Truth be told, part of the reason they don't move is that they can't--there are powerful magicks and guardians built in that won't be moved. Putting the main guildhouse in New Medibaria City would be a perfect way to distance the two while keeping it connected, and it could serve as a thematic reminder of the new.

For those characters, as I said I don't have detailed write-ups anywhere. Do you have Search? You could Search those names in 'A Teacher for Laynie' for current info. If not, I guess I can help search for you. Based on that, I can give the hidden info I have for any of those characters that interest you (I'd rather not do the write-up for all of them if I can help it :lol: ).

B4cchus

Explorer
Thje new city-old city makes it perfect for the guild's move away (but not to far) from the order!
I have search, so i'll look those guys up.

Rystil Arden

First Post
B4cchus said:
Thje new city-old city makes it perfect for the guild's move away (but not to far) from the order!
I have search, so i'll look those guys up.
Awesome--search won't give you all the info you need (Vanitri was generally uninquisitive of the random students and profs, even some of the sketchy ones, so I have more info that isn't online), but it should be enough info to pick a few on whom you want more info. Offhand, my gut tells me that the wife of the Omega Housemaster would be a great choice for an important member of the Master Crafters. She's a professor with all the perfect connections to recruit some of Omega's finest graduates without having the major conflict-of-interest of also being Housemaster. You can pick one or more of those grad students as doing research along with the Master Crafters (I mentioned in aTfL that they have research programs that team you up with non-Academy organisations that are friendly to the Academy sometimes). To that end, you could even consider the following undergraduates as possible names (some of them might have graduated during the years that happened at the end of aTfL)

Kelin Jerrias, Omega Student
Ellie Valanise, Omega Student
Fern Ambrosia, Omega Student
Malak Saferi, Omega Student

(I even removed the dead ones for you, like Misha. Noooo, Misha!)

BigB

First Post
I like the way this Prc is coming together. I am considering this for one of my characters in a few levels after approval and all. Great job so far!

B4cchus

Explorer
Thanks!
Any comments on the mechanics? I didn't recieve any since the last update so i'm guessing it is quite balanced by now.
Just some more revision of the 'flavour' and i guess it should done!

Rystil Arden

First Post
B4cchus said:
Thanks!
Any comments on the mechanics? I didn't recieve any since the last update so i'm guessing it is quite balanced by now.
Just some more revision of the 'flavour' and i guess it should done!
I just haven't had time to decide yet--I really don't like the imbuing actually; seems like an overpowered version of the Artificer's infusion from Eberron.

Velmont

First Post
I agree with RA, imbue seems a bit powerfull. I think teh best comparaison we can have in LEW, is the Soulknife. He can have something similar, but less powerfull and it takes a lot more time to progress. I think what is broken in that pwoer, it is the duration. 24 hours is pretty long.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
I agree with RA, imbue seems a bit powerfull. I think teh best comparaison we can have in LEW, is the Soulknife. He can have something similar, but less powerfull and it takes a lot more time to progress. I think what is broken in that pwoer, it is the duration. 24 hours is pretty long.
A lot of things are broken--duration, speed of imbuing, flexibility, progession, and stackability.

Duration--24 hours is huge!

Speed of imbuing--that's like an Artificer with infinite action points.

Flexibility--mostly a problem because of speed of imbuing. Oh, it's a Chaotic Evil Ooze? Axiomatic Holy Oozebane time! Oh, an elf in heavy armour? Brilliant Energy Elfbane! Many weapon abilities are balanced based on not being useful in many cases--you know what will be useful when you imbue on the first round of combat.

Progression--you go from the reasonable +1 to the absurd Vorpal-equivalent +5 at a rate of 1 per level. If you look at standard wealth, assuming that the MC is a moron and uses this on a nonmagical weapon (see below stackability issue) a 1st level MC is creating a 2k item when their net wealth is 13k. Okay, very reasonable. a 2nd level MC makes an 8k item when their net wealth is 19k. I guess that's still okay. At 3rd level, they make an 18k item when their net wealth is 27k. That's getting sketchy. At 4th level, they make a 32k item when their net wealth is 36k. That's concerning. At 5th level, they make a 50k item when their net wealth is 50k. Okay, that's absurd! Also, they're going to be making an item worth a heck of a lot more than this in practice--see below.

Stackability--You can put this on a current magic item for even crazier results. Let's say our level 5 MC or her ally has a +3 equivalent weapon (remarkably easy enough at level 10--a Fighter might even have a +4 equivalent if she's lucky, she has more than enough net wealth). When the MC imbues it, the item becomes a +8 equivalent worth 128,000 gold. For the whole day! Zounds! And if it was a +3 equivalent with only a +1 in enhancement bonuses, a Greater Magic Weapon spell will increase the weapon further. I do not exaggerate when I say that a llevel 5 MC who imbues and then someone GMWs an ally's weapon can create a +10 equivalent 200,000 GP equivalent weapon at character level 10 (net wealth ~49k otherwise). We're talking +3 Holy Axiomatic Whatever-Your-Enemy-Is-Bane Wounding or something similar.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
You missed an important part of the ability:
The master crafter can spend an Imbue Point to add a bonus to a masterwork (but non-magical) weapon or armor.
The flexibility is exactly its purpose, I think. Maybe the casting time should be longer, so it's more like a buff at the beginning of the day rather than at the beginning of combat.

I'll take a look at Soulknife and Artificer and get back to you on that.

Remove ads