• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Master of Faerries... The Ancient One.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Felt like sharing a character design.

He is gruff... but tough he seems immortal ... and is really old.,, some say thousands of years old... but he cant really remember that well.... he is called anceint one by some but doesnt really remember his real name... the sprites call him Master in a language that only he seems to understand... but he will tell you he has had many life times and forgets more than he remembers.

Background: I gave him fugitive from a vengeful rival to represent when he went in to hiding because of an Ancient Purge where most of the wizards of his time went in to hiding. He sometimes thinks he is still in that era.(gives him a really paranoid air).

His powers are almost entirely flavored as faerrie spritelings... ..or feylings

He doesnt really use much stealth directly .... rather the spritelings distract
and bedazzle some times in very subtle ways... those he is employing stealth
against.

He can be built at any level.... with all the amnesia he has it hardly seems to matter.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
The Ancient One, level 1
Human, Wizard
Build: Summoner Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Tome of Binding
Background: Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival (Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 11.

AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
History +9, Arcana +9, Stealth +6, Bluff +6, Nature +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +3, Heal +1, Insight +1, Intimidate, Perception +1, Religion +4, Streetwise, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Arcane Reserves
Level 1: Arcane Familiar

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Cloud of Daggers
Wizard at-will 1:Magic Missile
Wizard at-will 1: Thunderwave (faerries screaming at the top of there peircing high voices and physically dragging or tipping larger enemies)
Wizard encounter 1: Astral Wasp (tis a faerrie not a bug).
Wizard daily 1: Arcane Whirlwind
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Summon Fire Warrior (An insanely enhanced sparkling sprite).

ITEMS
Spellbook
RITUALS
Create Campsite, Make Whole, Brew Potion
Aside from the Brew potions the rest are done by the sprites.

Last edited:

Rachel

First Post
I sometimes get bored with the whole "amnesia" thing b/c you see it so often but I like what you did with it here. Interesting spelling of "faerrie". Never seen that one, only "fairy" and "faerie".
I like the way you reflavored the powers to be faerrie/sprite originated...could you maybe do all the powers that way (cloud, magicmiss, arcane ww) and post them?
Anyways, thanx for sharing. :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
More details:
He is rather eccentric and is currently conducting field research to see if goblins are related to his feylings/faerries.

Note some of his desparate defense after his is bloodied I describe as glowing little faerries interposing to absorb the attacks. He has a frail body... (the high CON is because sprites always help him get about and sometimes sacrefice there energies to revive him (the healing surges from CON))

His familiar is the Muse Sprite.(small glowing humanoid with gossamer wings).

Magic missile looks like various things usually a stream of feylings which spiral and dive at the enemy. Sometimes he tries to hide where the attack is originating from (with stealth rolls) and his sprites try to suppress there glow and sneak up on the enemy crawling up pants legs and similar things. ... they flit at a speed to allow the 20 square range of course... very fast... but cant keep themselves together when they get to far from him.

Cloud of daggers seems way obvious... the sprites put all there energy into solidifying their daggers and whir about in one square... they get even more whispy or even invisible while doing it. Unless he is bloodied you will hear the sprites laughing in squeaky little voices throughout this attack.

Whirl wind I may have actually changed my mind about... I was going to have them going purely invisible and exploding in popping noises from the effort....
but I am considering the alternative -> Horrid Whispers. Which is a feint sprite or whirring blur of them which invades the targets mind possibly flying in an ear and showing up on the insides of their eyeballs.

I think I will give him the ritual that allows hime to reabsorb some of his feylings (that is called... Simbuls Conversion).

Residuum glows and sparkles in his touch like.... well you guessed it.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This made me sad. How would it be obvious?

once I start following a pattern I some times get obvious.--- faerries did it. :eek:

The Magic Missile some times appears to be my Familiar phasing out from next to me and fading in at least part way... next to the enemy to stab it with his steely knives.

Rachel

First Post
once I start following a pattern I some times get obvious.--- faerries did it. :eek:

The Magic Missile some times appears to be my Familiar phasing out from next to me and fading in at least part way... next to the enemy to stab it with his steely knives.

Firstly, I admire the way you create unique role-playing flavor to apply while playing. I do the same thing, and I absolutely love playing with other people who go the extra mile to really creatively imagine what they're doing. And....

Secondly, o-m-g major points for the Hotel California reference. Weeee.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Firstly, I admire the way you create unique role-playing flavor to apply while playing. I do the same thing, and I absolutely love playing with other people who go the extra mile to really creatively imagine what they're doing. And....
Thanks!

Secondly, o-m-g major points for the Hotel California reference. Weeee.

I couldnt help myself... HC always seemed like a nicely dark scenario cut directly out of the fey realms.

Remove ads