• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Master of Missiles Paragon Path

Warrior147

First Post
Master of Missiles

“You call that a magic missile? That’s a mere sliver of magic compared to my missiles!”

Prerequisites: Wizard, magic missile at-will spell

Magic missile is a useful spell. It is the most basic form of battle magic, and is probably the first combat spell any wizard teaches his apprentice. Easy to master and easy to cast, most accomplished mages know how to cast it.
You, however, take mastery of magic missile to a higher level. While most wizards have magic missile stored in their mental arsenal of spells, you have devoted your studies, your life, to the ins and outs of this wonderful spell.

Master of Missiles Path Features

Missile Master’s Action (11th Level): When you spend an action point to cast magic missile, deal 2d4 extra damage on a hit.
Missiles of Victory (11th Level): When you score a critical hit with magic missile, you can immediately use magic missile again as a free action.
Unfailing Caster (16th Level): When you miss with magic missile, deal damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Master of Missiles Powers

Dual Missile Master of Missiles Attack 11
You cast one missile, then unleash another behind it, hidden by the first.
Encounter; Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 20
Target: One creature.
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
Hit: 4d4+ Intelligence modifier force damage.
Effect: Make a secondary attack against the same target.
Secondary Attack: Intelligence +4 vs. AC.
Hit: 4d4+ Intelligence modifier force damage.

Missile Caster’s Stance Master of Missiles Utility 12
You position yourself sturdily, casting missiles with greater care.
Daily; Arcane, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the stance ends, you can choose to take 10 for your attack rolls when casting magic missile.

Missile Spray Master of Missiles Attack 20
Whirling your wand, you send a deadly spray of missiles fanning outwards at your foes.
Daily; Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 10
Target: All creatures in burst.
Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
Hit: 4d10+ Intelligence modifier damage.
Special: You can choose not to target a number of creatures in the blast equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Last edited:

Pale Jackal

First Post
Off the cuff impressions:

Quick Caster has a typo (free instead of standard.) It is also WAY too good. That's essentially a free extra attack every round. Sheer madness.

Missile Caster's Stance *might* be too good. Actually, I'd say it's okay. Under proper conditions, it will let you hit an extra 2.5 times with your MM, if you use it every available opportunity. (Assuming 10 round fight, 4 encounters, and 1 daily.)

I like the Level 20 Daily.

Warrior147

First Post
I suppose you're right. How about this instead:

Unfailing Caster (16th Level): When you miss with magic missile, deal damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Even that might be too powerful, but it's better than Quick Caster

Pale Jackal

First Post
Unfailing Caster looks alright.

One other note: possibly change the Special on the Level 20 Daily to be an attribute other than Intelligence. Otherwise, 99% of the time the Wizard's Intelligence will be high enough to hit only enemies, and in that case, you might just want to word it as: Burst (Or Blast? There seems to be a conflict in your entry) that targets only enemies. I've always been a fan of magic which has a downside or cost. In this case, a potential downside is hitting an ally if you're not... Dexterous enough, perhaps? If you went with that route, you might want to make it a Blast then, so that a lower Dex. Wizard wouldn't ALWAYS hit his allies, just in certain circumstances. Makes the ability more tactical, though probably weaker as well. If your original intent was a Blast ability, that'd be my suggestion.

Warrior147

First Post
I suppose I could change it to Dexterity, since this is a sort of war wizard sort of build. And to compliment that, I'll change unfailing caster damage to dexterity too.

Warrior147

First Post
Sorry, I meant to write "blast". I didn't want the wizard to spin right round, with no control over his missiles; a wanted him to spread them out over a wider area.

A blast is far weaker than a burst of the same size, though it is far more controllable. For example; close burst 3 affects the 49 closest squares, and close blast 3 affects only 9.

If this had been a burst attack, I would have reduced the damage to 2d4. I try to have magic missile related powers dealing an even number of d4s as damage, since magic missiles deal 2d4 damage.

I'm updating the Master of Missiles now.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
please reformat original post with higher contrast black on dark grey is not readable. (more responses might follow)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads