Masters of the Wild: First Impressions

Shard O'Glase

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

It strikes me that the reason they don't make them all "generic" in nature is to provide examples of how Prestige Classes can be used to create distinctive cultures amongst the races in D&D. The assumption is that the individual DM will be able to easily change the fluff text to suit his vision of the character concept. I feel it's better to provide such examples than to try to please everyone at once by making all Prestige Classes somehow "official" for all races. That can be readily accomplished at the individual DM level. Just because the requirements or description say one thing in the "official" book doesn't render the class unalterable to change for the DM in his campaign.

I don't mind them all not being generic, though I would of prefered a human only prestige class to help people get out of the mindset that humans have nothing unique. My point is more for future splatbooks. If they come out with the big books of tall pointy eared folk, short stuff, and grumpier than the average bear, they should come out with a splatbook normal guy complete book of humans.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Shard O'Glase said:

I don't mind them all not being generic, though I would of prefered a human only prestige class to help people get out of the mindset that humans have nothing unique. My point is more for future splatbooks. If they come out with the big books of tall pointy eared folk, short stuff, and grumpier than the average bear, they should come out with a splatbook normal guy complete book of humans.

That's an interesting point. I guess since humans are the default race, to some extent, that the assumption is that they use all but the PrC's specifically tailored to another race. Perhaps the designers figured that since humans were more versatile - manifested in their extra feat and skill points - that specific PrC's for humans only weren't necessary. But, I could see many possibilities for them, based on culture.

Psion

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
Hmmm...I haven't heard anybody disallow two PrCs either.

I've heard of it... but it certainly seems to be limited to a few abuse-paranoid DMs and is largely unjustified IMO. Some prestige classes out there are designed to work as follow-ons for other prestige classes. Some simply make sense or have a good conceptual synergy (like summoner and acolyte of the skin).

Synicism

First Post
Forrester said:
Um . . . well, there was the whole "official errata" thing to the PHB/DMG that came out several MONTHS ago that mentions this (very well thought out and reasonable) change.

Funny... I never thought that something as clearly written as the Animal Friendship spell needed clarification at all. It made perfect sense to me.

Here's something to toss out at ya. Are these "clarifications" OGL? Or will "The Quintessential Druid" or some other similar book be operating with an "unclarified" version of Animal Companions, while other, WotC books will have "clarified" druids?

While the clarification document did explain some ambiguities, this time it really muddies the waters a bit.

If it ain't ambiguous, why clarify it?

Geez, it's like being in the Camarilla or something.

Synicism

First Post
Klaus said:
In the PHB itself, in the description of Animal Friendship, mentions that a settled druid (one that tends to avoid long travels) can befriend (Levelx2) worth of HD, while adventuring druids (who tend to go underground or otherwise stick their necks out) can only befriend HD=Level, simply because the demands of adventuring don't allow the druid to care for as many animals.

Uh... what?

Player's Handbook, p. 173:

"At any one time, you can have only a certain number of animals befriended to you. You can have animal friends whose hit dice total no more than twice your caster level."

From the System Reference Document, under the "Animal Friendship" spell:

"At any one time, the character can have only a certain number of animals befriended to the character. The character can have animal friends whose Hit Dice total no more than twice the character's caster level. The character may dismiss animal friends to enable the character to befriend new ones."

I don't see where the PhB or the SRD discriminate between adventuring and non-adventuring druids in the Animal Friendship spell. The Druid writeup in the PhB and the SRD also say nothing about this limitation.

Where are you getting this from? As far as I can tell, this limitation is entirely a product of the "clarification" document.

So does that mean that WotC druids are different from everyone else's druids?

Synicism

First Post
SpuneDagr said:
I'm pretty sure Animal Friendship only works on 'animal' types. Technically speaking, owlbears and dinosaurs are 'beasts.'

That's not the point. With Animal Empathy and Animal Handling, a character with enough time can train beasts like owlbears and dinos to do tricks just like animal companions.

Synicism

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
I pointed out in an old thread on the original ENboards that a high level ranger who has maxed out his animal handling skill and who has 9+ in animal empathy and a good charisma has an excellent chance of training beasts such as owl bears, dire animals or even tyrannosaurs to work for him. Far more powerful creatures than he could ever get through animal friendship magic, but perfectly possible by focussing on class skills which he has available. Might not be as sexy as hide and spot, but it could create a real killer set of pets quite easily.

However, Animal companions (as opposed to beasts and magical beasts) can be given sentience (and therefore gain class levels) with the Awaken spell. Can you imagine a character whose best friend is a 18 hit die Dire Tiger with 3 levels of Barbarian? How about a Dire Ape monk?

Let's not even get into legendary creatures.

Spatula

Explorer
Orco42 said:
The Verdant Lord gets +1 to spells per level (always trouble) and fighter BAB, good fort and will save, you can burn spells for regeneration spells (better than cure when not in combat),

IIRC, the regeneration spells in MotW only heal damage that is taken while the spell is active, sort of like the ring of regeneration.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Synicism said:

However, Animal companions (as opposed to beasts and magical beasts) can be given sentience (and therefore gain class levels) with the Awaken spell. Can you imagine a character whose best friend is a 18 hit die Dire Tiger with 3 levels of Barbarian? How about a Dire Ape monk?

Let's not even get into legendary creatures.

Technically, Animal Companions which are Awakened are no longer Animal Companions, but sentient, free-willed beings. In fact, according to the MM (p. 5) they don't even qualify as animals any more. Also, see the Awaken spell description, second paragraph.

LightPhoenix

Last edited:

Remove ads