Masterwork Artificer Tools

Patlin

Explorer
This thread in the rules forum has me thinking about Masterwork Tools for item crafting.

The ideas is consistent with the rules-as-written, yet still strikes me as novel in this application.

The by-the-book price for a masterwork tool is 50 gp, per the SRD. I'd suggest a "Masterwork Artificer Toolkit" at a cost of 100 gp, and have it provide a +2 circumstance bonus to UMD rolls for item crafting only.

Makes me think of the picture of the hard working artificer in the ECS with the funny gear on her head. :)

Erekose13

Explorer
I don't see much of a problem with it. If there is a problem with it, we could make the tools significantly large and therefore only useful in crafting items for artificers.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Its going to give a little boost at lower levels, and is as useful to an artificer as mw thieves tools. So 100 gp seems about right to me.

Patlin

Explorer
I modeled the price on MW Thieves tools, which is arguably an error since they help with two skills (open lock and disable device) and therefore cost twice as much as a "normal" masterwork tool. However, the benefit to a low level artificer is so great that I can't see anyone kicking about the 100 gp price.

Erekose13

Explorer
Actually looking into the SRD, we seem to have this covered already (and for cheaper). Tool, Masterwork

SRD said:
Tool, Masterwork 50GP, 1LB
This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.

Patlin

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
Actually looking into the SRD, we seem to have this covered already (and for cheaper). Tool, Masterwork

Yeah, I think that does cover it. Is this proposal redundant with the RAW then? I mostly proposed it because a Use Magic Device "tool" seemed novel to me.

Remove ads