D&D General Matt Colville on adventure length

Well, not just Champions. There was SO MUCH going on, even from TSR with Top Secret, a game where the PCs never really felt as disposable as D&D characters. Plus, of course Traveller, which had a very different feel from D&D in what it was likely to focus on.
I feel like Traveller was very much the "other" culture though, with the randomized chargen, replete with setbacks or even death. That's much more in line with what 1970s D&D was doing, and less in line with what Champions and later '80s and '90s games were doing.

Given that today's entire hobby is built on the back of early-edition D&D, I'll challenge the bolded all day long.
That doesn't really make sense as a challenge though, given the obvious huge differences in playstyle and continual failure of OSR stuff that closely replicates early D&D (or reprints etc. of actual early D&D) to have any kind of larger success. Early-edition D&D has had infinite opportunity to convert people to its way of thinking. They just haven't been interested.

I can't be too critical because it's like Quake fans (like me) believing that actually, if people just played Quake-style arena shooters, they'd become popular once more. I now realize that it's not true - I believed it for years - but like old-school D&D and close relatives, Quake-style arena shooters have had infinite opportunity to convert people. There have been countless bold attempts to revive them, many of which were, if you like Quake-style arena shooters, very good games, and the originals are available and have people playing them. Did any of them catch on and go big though? Hell no!

Hussar

Legend
I honestly cannot imagine liking a single campaign enough to play it for ten years. I just can't. Two years is pretty much my ceiling. Anything longer than that and I'm noping out. I'm simply not interested.

Then again, I have largely zero interest in ten year serial TV shows, or ten year anything.

The idea that I would presume that a campaign I start today would still be ongoing in ten years is completely foreign to me. Doesn't matter if I'm DMing or playing. If you can't finish up the campaign in two years, I'm not interested.

I feel like Traveller was very much the "other" culture though, with the randomized chargen, replete with setbacks or even death.
Kinda, until you start looking at some of the official adventures, like Research Station Gamma and Twilight's Peak.

Then you realise that like D&D, it had more than one culture.

I honestly cannot imagine liking a single campaign enough to play it for ten years. I just can't. Two years is pretty much my ceiling. Anything longer than that and I'm noping out. I'm simply not interested.

Then again, I have largely zero interest in ten year serial TV shows, or ten year anything.

The idea that I would presume that a campaign I start today would still be ongoing in ten years is completely foreign to me. Doesn't matter if I'm DMing or playing. If you can't finish up the campaign in two years, I'm not interested.
How long have I been watching Doctor Who? 50 years?

Kinda, until you start looking at some of the official adventures like Research Station Gamma and Twilight's Peak.
Looking them up, presumably you mean because they're significantly more reliant on roleplaying and story than really any official D&D adventure of that era? I see that both have some "dungeon crawl elements" but people today recommend skipping those bits or playing them down.

I think it's fair to say that in terms of its original design and rules, Traveller is more early D&D-like, but perhaps in terms of how it was actually played, it was more modern. By the time the much-despised Traveller: TNE in 1993, though, it was much more in-line with modern game approaches.

How long have I been watching Doctor Who? 50 years?
That's not really the same thing though - Dr Who has been and still is almost entirely episodic. It's not a "single campaign". The closest it came was probably when Moffat was running it, but it didn't last. He's talking about 10-year-arcs. In Who you might get (sometimes very contrived) callbacks to long-ago Who (fan service, essentially), but that's not the same thing as a 10-year story (something virtually unheard-of today).

So, I'm running vignettes (4-6 sessions each) as well as a mega-campaign which is closing in on 10 years. The latter assumes many of the published storylines are happening concurrently that limits the distraction of the "new shiny thing". Also it allows for players to play many characters (heroes/champions) throughout the land and it allows to background many of the elements of the AP's but still have the players "experience them" so to speak.

It appears to work for our group and we only play in f-2-f.
All in all, our attrition has been 5 players and we gained two new players (currently on 4).

Looking them up, presumably you mean because they're significantly more reliant on roleplaying and story than really any official D&D adventure of that era? I see that both have some "dungeon crawl elements" but people today recommend skipping those bits or playing them down.

I think it's fair to say that in terms of its original design and rules, Traveller is more early D&D-like, but perhaps in terms of how it was actually played, it was more modern. By the time the much-despised Traveller: TNE in 1993, though, it was much more in-line with modern game approaches.
Traveller had lot's of procedural generation for planets, trade and cargoes, and the like, so could be, and often was, played as an interplanetary hexcrawl, OCR-like. But, if you look at Twilight's Peak, which is often considered the definitive Traveller adventure, it combines wandering around space in a broken-down freighter with a search for clues to the location of an ancient alien base. Which was basically a dungeon, somewhat similar to Expedition to Barrier Peaks, with which was contemporaneous.

But if you look further afield, at White Dwarf magazine, which covered any and all RPGs at that time, they published a Traveller adventure in which the PCs were chlorophyll-addicted aliens who crashed thier ship into the middle of The Heroes of Telemark and needed to steel the heavy water to fix their ship. A scenario that would not have been out of place in Doctor Who!

The other thing about Traveller was that combat was dangerous (and expensive in space) so it was rare. It was much more of a Skills based game than D&D. You were more likely to be using your Admin skill to fight bureaucracy than your Gauss Rifle to fight aliens.
That's not really the same thing though - Dr Who has been and still is almost entirely episodic.
I was really only joking about Doctor Who, but that brings us back to the original topic. I'm pretty sure that any 10 year D&D campaign is not going to be based around a single storyline from start to finish. But you might drop in shorter adventures, as episodes.

The Key to Time was the longest single story arc Doctor Who did, with 26 weekly episodes. But this consisted of 6 separate stories, loosely connected by having to find a segment of the rod of seven parts Tesseract Key to Time in each story. And hence resembles a D&D campaign made by assembling a series of modules.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
L
But that is the story I'm here for. It's literally the story the game itself tells me we're here to hear (emphasis added in both cases): "Everything a player needs to create heroic characters" (front cover); "Adventurers are extraordinary people, driven by a thirst for excitement into a life that others would never dare lead. They are heroes, compelled to...take on the challenges that lesser women and men can't stand against." (Ch. 3)

And this hasn't been a new development either. 2e PHB: "The warrior group encompasses the character classes of heroes who make their way in the world primarily by skill at arms: fighters, paladins, and rangers." "Third, some people choose to play evil alignments. Although there is no specific prohibition against this, there are several reasons why it is not a good idea. First, the AD&D game is a game of heroic fantasy. What is heroic about being a villain?" (Ch 4, "Alignment")

You should be unsurprised to know that I have negative interest in ever reading any portion of The Song of Ice and Fire. Its sensibilities are not ones I find interesting--and even then, the shown story of what lies ahead has Jon Snow surviving his own murder.

Depends on what one defines as "entertainment value." I often find such choices frustrating and disruptive, breaking whatever tone the game has attempted to cultivate.

Doing so when you've literally only had 2-3 preceding combats and that many or fewer total sessions does seem pretty insulting to me.

But if you mean "once you've given it a fair shake," then that's literally what I'm talking about. Groups I've been in have had TPKs before reaching third level. I have been deeply demoralized by that, which makes me think the game isn't for me, which makes me leave. And I've gotten nothing but pushback for saying that that's my stance. Seems like there are some pretty hefty conditions on this "nothing wrong with saying 'I don't think this game is for me' and bailing" principle...

I have never said such a thing to anyone, even when I strongly believed it was true.

"If you want X, why don't you make X?" is a fallacious argument and always has been. But, even if it weren't an irrelevant fallacy? I am a GM. I just, y'know, would like to play too.
Someone else mentioned session zero earlier so I'll ask the never asked questions. How could any of these problems have possibly happened if you beat the bolded drum loud and proud during session zero while sending off fireworks to accompany the red flags you were waving for all to see like how you expect immunity to PC death no matter your actions and choices as a powerless puppet of chance? If the gm didn't run a session zero what how did the gm and the group react when you expressed the importance of doing so in order for you to reveal that potential brass band accompanied red flag parade? Did you not do anything like that because the gm didn't think to explicitly ask those specific questions?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If D&D doesn't look like Monty Python and the Holy Grail you are playing it wrong.
I will note that very few Python characters are suicidal idiots. Many of them are idiots, but they do not generally do things that get themselves killed, particularly when they actually know something is dangerous. (Those sketches specifically about suicide are a major exception.)

The game I run absolutely has its share of funnies ("Bard. You're in a hole. Why are you in a hole? Don't be in a hole." was a well-remembered one), and one player cracks some really quite funny jokes on average once or twice a session. We now have a hayseed Barbarian yokel who can be both funny and impulsive, but not suicidally stupid, so it's perfectly fine.

By my standards, getting through 1st level in 3-5 sessions is lightning fast.
Then I don't think we can meaningfully discuss on this topic. That sounds like it would be literally the second worst experience I've ever had, and the worst was one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Was there any point during that bandit ambush when a PC could have cut and run for it with a decent chance of survival? If yes, and that opportunity wasn't taken, there's a lesson to be learned for next time. :)
No. The bandits jumped us, so they were between us and the exit. We had literally just gotten inside a ruin, fought some spiders that almost murdered several people, and then taken a short rest because we knew if we fought anything else without healing, we'd die. The Paladin used up all but a trace of his lay on hands to help out. We weren't second level yet, otherwise I would have been able to give folks song of rest, but as noted that would have made no difference anyway. The DM sprung the bandits on us in the middle of the short rest with no prior warning that there were any bandits to fear, ruling that because we hadn't finished the rest, we got nothing out of it.

Oh, and did I mention that more than half the group was brand new to TTRPGs? To the best of my knowledge, none of those new folks elected to try again, because this experience turned them off of tabletop. Not just DgD, tabletop. Not that I can blame them. They'd eaten a thing folks were raving about and it tasted terrible; why would they ever want to eat it a second time?

Because all it needs is one survivor for the campaign - and game - to keep going.
But not our enthusiasm for it. And it is that enthusiasm which actually decides whether the game lives or dies.

There's a flip side to this as well: the well-meaning but misinformed players who are impervious to the fact that the game really is out to kill their characters and yet, safely cocooned in their assumption that every combat is winnable, don't ever think to have their characters cut and run to save themselves when things are clearly going south...even if it means abandoning others to their fate.
Except the game isn't "really out to kill their characters." That's one way to choose to play it. It simply IS NOT the only, best, or even general way to play it. It is a way that deserves support. It is not a way that should ever be enforced on all groups, because most people don't like that method, and enforcing it would end D&D as surely as enforcing hardcore permadeath on Mario would end that franchise.

And that's the problem with telling players it's a game of "heroic fantasy". People are so conditioned to the idea that the heroes always win that as players of heroes they just naturally assume they're going to win every time no matter what; and then don't know what to do when the situation changes such that the main objective is no longer to win, but simply to - by any means possible - not lose.
No. They naturally assume that you won't take their story participation away.

There are MANY ways to lose that are not death or something equivalent to it.You already asked me about several of them, and I noticed you did not respond to the fact that I was anywhere between "eh, not my thing but it's fine" (level drain) and enthusiastic (limb loss), especially if these things build new story as a result of the loss.

But because half of DMs are stuck on this idea that death is the one and only consequence that matters. A ludicrous notion, as though nothing in your life ever matters unless it could kill you. The birth of one of your children doesn't matter, the death of a spouse doesn't matter, the winning of a marathon doesn't matter, the loss of a devastating court case doesn't matter, your first kiss doesn't matter, *nothing except your death?" Come the frick on. Consequences and results matter all throughout our lives and the vast majority of them, indeed the vast majority of the ones that are most memorable and impactful to us, have nothing to do with death or even violence.

Heroes lose sometimes. But the form and shape of that loss is different compared to random shlubs, because those differences make it more interesting for most players. Surely not all. Some folks love playing random shlubs, and the game should support them at doing so (better than it does, at the very least.) But it should not be mandatory for all players that everyone must play hours and hours and hours of random shlubs before they're permitted to play heroes.

Because this is a FANTASY game. And one of the most common fantasies out there is to be a hero, making a difference, changing the world, helping others, doing the right thing for the right reason at the right time. Indeed, data collected from video games, e.g. achievements, shows that easily 3/4 of players who are given the opportunity to choose to do selfish evil vs selfless good choose the latter option. And a portion of the remainder will be from achievement hunters or completionists who want to see every piece of content.

It turns out people like being heroic, and getting the opportunity to fight the good fight, and getting satisfying victories and losses, not just random ones.

Remathilis

Legend
Was there any point during that bandit ambush when a PC could have cut and run for it with a decent chance of survival? If yes, and that opportunity wasn't taken, there's a lesson to be learned for next time. :).

Since we're all armchair quarterbacking this, let's toss a few more what ifs on the pile;

1. The group was taking a short rest at level 1. Finite resources are small. There are few HD and fewer spells and potions. And SRs are generally only taken when the group is already weakened. As a DM who can see greater pictures, this is potentially the weakest point you can have your group at and still all be moving of their own power. Any attack here is a killing blow. The DM had full intent to murder at this point, even if that wasn't a conscious decision.

2. We don't know if the bandits were a reasonable challenge for the PCs or not, based on the DMG or revised encounter balancing system. Four bandits is a medium difficulty encounter for four PCs. A bandit captain automatically makes it deadly. If there were more than four, it would quickly become a deadly encounter as well.

3. Did the PCs get a chance to negotiate, parley, or sneak around or detect them? How many DMs move from "you see a group of bandits approach" to "roll for initiative"? Further, even if the bandits did talk and threaten before attacking, how much of that would have hinged on a single Charisma skill check? Where the penalty for failure is combat regardless? Nothing like watching your party slaughtered because the bard rolled a 2 on his d20...

4. What were the campaign expectations? Were the PCs supposed to be Big Damn Heroes or are they expected to have nasty brutish and short lives? Did the DM communicate beforehand how deadly the game was beforehand? Can you blame players if they expect Skyrim and get Dark Souls?

Because a lot of the blame here falls on the DM regardless of if you feel it was justified or not. At the very least, he's guilty of mismatching expectations. More than likely, he was attempting to make the game seem exciting and dangerous without actually taking into account what his PCs can handle. Whether that was a legitimate error or an act of maleficence is not important. It is as much on the DMs part to make sure there is a possibility of success (even if that success is running away) as it is on the players to know when run. Too many DMs opt for the "perfect trap" scenario and then wonder why the PCs all died and nobody shows up in the next session...

Remove ads