Maure Castle - The Adventure Begins!

Voadam

Legend
"The cowards put poison on his blade!" Vandon will stand fast and continue to full attack the golem while flanking with Tanus.

JimAde

First Post
Martan growls in rage. "I'm not doing anything but slowing it down! This doesn't look promising." He rummages in his bag for a moment and says, "Well if that's all I can do, might as well do it!" He throws a small, bulging bag toward the statue's feet and it bursts into a sticky, tangled mass.

[OOC: Move action to get the tanglefoot bag out, then a ranged touch attack on the critter. I believe Martan's Ranged Touch should be +11, not +7 (+6 BAB, +4 for dex, +1 for Haste.) He's a nimble guy.]

Krauss von Espy

First Post
JimAde said:
[OOC: Move action to get the tanglefoot bag out, then a ranged touch attack on the critter. I believe Martan's Ranged Touch should be +11, not +7 (+6 BAB, +4 for dex, +1 for Haste.) He's a nimble guy.]

OOC: I applied a -4 penalty to the ranged touch attack, because Martan was firing into a melee.

Krauss von Espy

First Post
Round 2:

Tanus continues lashing out valiantly, hoping that Silence's invocation may help his blows to cause some harm to the great iron statue. Unfortunately, his fists still cannot penetrate the golem's hard exterior.

Vandon hopes for better luck than his partner, as he attacks with his mindblade. His hopes are rewarded, as two more blows connect, this time to even greater effect than before! (33 Damage).

Martan retrieves and throws his Tanglefoot Bag, hoping to further hinder the golem's attacks. Despite the distance, and the presence of his comrades battling the construct, the bag strikes true! Sticky goo bursts forth, instantly crystallizing upon the golem's torso and limbs, hampering its movements.

The golem, clearly moving very slowly and stiffly from the effects of Martan's efforts, raises its sword once again to attack Vandon. Again, the blade hits home (19 damage), but again the hearty paladin manages to shake off the initial effects of the poison. Immediately after attacking Vandon with its blade, the golem opens its mouth and spits out a great gout of intense flames! Vandon manages to twist out of the way of the full brunt of the hellish fire, but still is burned very badly (40 damage).

Silence, hearing Vandon's cry of distress, charges up the stairs and makes her way to her ally's side. As she does so, she passes within reach of the iron golem's blade; the construct lashes out with a mighty blow, wounding the cleric badly (38 damage). Like Vandon before her, she is able to resist the initial effects of the blade's posion.

Wincing in pain, Silence still manages to reach Vandon and cast her spell, silently praying that Pelor will remove the posion from her friend's system. Vandon feels the spell working as the burning sensation within him subsides.

All PCs gain one hp, due to Mass Lesser Vigor. HP totals: Silence 26/74 (and poisoned), Vandon 42/125, Martan 47/61, Tanus 64/64, Iron Golem (-78).

End Round 2.

Actions? (OOC: I'm still willing to accept NPC sugestions for Tanus, if anyone wants to.)

---------------------

Tanus makes Flurry of Blows attack vs. Iron Golem (+14/+14/+14/+9, incl. bonuses from flanking, haste, prayer). Attack rolls: 9,4,12,1. Totals 23(Miss),18(Miss),26(Miss), Auto Miss.

Vandon makes Full Attack vs. Iron Golem (+23/+23/+8, incl. Flanking, Haste, Prayer). Attack Rolls: 9,14,1. Totals 32(Hit), 37(Hit), Auto Miss. Damage Rolls(d8): 7+9,8+9 (incl. Prayer bonus) = 33 Damage.

Martan draws out Tanglefoot Bag, makes Ranged Touch Attack vs. Iron Golem (+4 incl. haste bonus, prayer bonus, firing into melee penalty, range increment penalty). Attack Roll 13, Total 17(Hit). Golem makes REF save, suffers -2 attack roll penalty, -4DEX penalty, half-speed movement penalty.

Iron Golem makes Standard Attack vs. Vandon. Attack Roll 7(Hit vs. Vandon's AC28, incl. haste) Damage Total: 19, Vandon must make initial FORT save vs. Poison. Roll 11+15(incl. Prayer)=26,Success!

Golem uses Free Action Breath Weapon (Fire) vs. Vandon; Vandon must make REF save: Roll 15+15(incl. Haste, Prayer)=30, Success! for Half Damage (40).

Silence moves, incurs AOO from Iron Golem (reach 10). Golem Attack Roll 19, Hit vs. Silence AC 16 (incl. Haste), Critical Threat: Attack Roll 4, Hit, Critical Confirmed. Damage Roll Total = 38. Silence must make initial FORT save vs. Poison. Roll 17+16(incl. Prayer)=33, Success.

Silence casts silent Neutralize Poison on Vandon; Vandon is cured of poison (no secondary saves required), and is immune to further poison effects for 2 hours.

Attachments

• 0702Maure.JPG
    0702Maure.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Krauss von Espy

First Post
(OOC: Hey all, since I was a bonehead, and forgot to include the following at the outset of the combat vs. the golem, please play along and pretend this started as soon as the golem animated, okay? :eek: )

As the golem animates and moves to attack the adventurers, the environment in the great hall changes dramatically.

First of all, the carved pillars to the north seem to come to life, taking the form of fleshly versions of the original carvings. They move and speak to one another as though they were heavenly beings, viewing and wagering upon the outcome of this contest. Each watches the battle in progress closely, talking and comparing notes all the while. They seem to look at the party, some pointing at times, some merely observing intently, perhaps saving their comments for the eventual outcome of the battle.

Second, the viewing stands now appear to have a variety of beings in them, appearing thronged with many characters of dead, living, ethereal, earthly, demonic, and angelic visages. The living, earthly, and angelic spectators shout encouragements to the characters, while the dead, ethereal, and demonic types boo the characters and shout evil suggestions to the golem.

(OOC: In future turn synopses, I will try to throw in a few specific examples of the above behaviors to add some additional drama to the battle :) ).

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Silence stays behind Vandon and touches him again on the back, allowing healing energy to flow into him. She grins her teeth in a silent scream against her own wounds, and tries to keep herself hidden as much as possible.

OOC - One Silent cure critical wounds for 45 points of healing to Vandon.

Insight

Adventurer
OOC: I'm back!

Tanus becomes frustrated at his lack of efficacy against the iron golem. "This is crazy," he says. "I feel as though I'm almost able to penetrate the armor... but not quite." The tiefling continues his barrage against the golem, hoping that either a blow will strike true, or one of his spellcasting fellows will come up with a golden idea.

OOC: Tanus will shift all of his BAB back to his attack rolls - ie, no more Combat Expertise - in an attempt to finally get close to whatever the golem's AC might be.

JimAde

First Post
"Right," Martan says grimly. "Tanus, I've got an idea!" He dashes up the stairs toward Tanus, withdrawing a scroll from his haversack as he goes. Trying to escape the belligerent statue's notice as he goes, he places a hand on Tanus' back while loudly intoning the words inscribed on the scroll. Then he shouts "Sic 'im boy!"

[OOC: move to the square northeast of Tanus. If I'm counting right that should be a single, 30 ft. move. I know I might be moving through the golem's threatened area, but there's not much I can do about it.

Scroll is spoilered in case Krauss wants to maintain the mystery :)
Scroll:
Polymorph. Tanus's new form (assuming he permits it) is a rust monster.

]

Last edited:

Remove ads