• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Max Base saves (smackish?)

Magic Rub

First Post
Using only WotC printed products, & proper levelling/multiclass rules/pre-req's, what are the highest 'BASE saves' you can get for a character by 20 lvl.

The best I can get by 20th is from a Monk 12 / Survivor 2 / Soul Eater 2 / Red Avenger 2 / Ninja of the Crescent Moon 2 (sources; PHB, SavS, BoVD, S&F)

Base Fort = 20
Base Ref = 20
Base Wil = 20

For a combined numerical total of 60.

There really isn't very much practicality in this exercise I'm just curios to see what the maximum/best base saves are. Either as a whole as I've done, or per individual save (ie; best Fort, best Ref, best wil)

[edit] there's probably a few things in the roku-whateverthey'recalled books that would have pumped those numbers up more but I don't have those books [/edit]

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Judas said:
Isn't there a limit to classes in multi-classing?
Only if the DM applies one. By the book, you can take as many base classes as you want, and as many PrCs as you can qualify for.

Magic Rub

First Post
From the 3e FAQ
Can you take levels in more than one prestige class? How do all these levels affect your experience? You can take any number of prestige classes, provided that you qualify for them. Prestige classes do not impose multiclassexperience penalties, no matter how many prestige classes you have.

So no, there isn't a limit.

Destil

Explorer
Ninja of the Crecent moon has been eratted to poor fort & will saves.

Humm... Cleric 2, Druid 2, Monk 2, Wizard 1, Sorc 1, Fighter 1, Barb 1, Palidin 1, Ranger 2, Bard 2, then throw in some PRCs...

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Can't you just multiclass like crazy and get a really high base save?

I think the absolute max would be a base of 40 in all saves (take one level in 20 classes that have good saves for all). However, I don't know if there are that many classes available... so each level should at least raise 2 of the saves by 2 points, so about 30 to each save is probably doable (but how to justify such a character is a mystery to me....).

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Cloudgatherer said:
I think the absolute max would be a base of 40 in all saves (take one level in 20 classes that have good saves for all).

I think the question is "how high can Fort+Ref+Will be", not "how high can Fort be", "how high can Ref be", and "how high can Will be".

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Yeah, I got that... the original poster only got 20 in each (sum of 60).

I think the absolute max would be 40 in each (sum 120), but realistically 30 in each is probably attainable (sum 90).

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Cloudgatherer said:
I think the absolute max would be 40 in each (sum 120)

Really? That would take 20 monklike classes... I can only think of ~3 off the top of my head. Even 30 in each would take 15 monklike classes!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads