• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Max Dex Armor?

The Little Raven

First Post
LokiDR said:

Quintisential Fighter lists a silk shirt as a +0 armor with no armor check, ASF, or max dex. I think this is a bad idea and should be avoided.

I'm pondering allowing it. The clothing must first be masterwork, and it takes the place of a the "one vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso" and the "one robe or suit of armor on the body," thus requiring two item slots to be sacrificed. I also added +1,000 gp to each bonus it adds, so a +2 monk's outfit would cost 6,055 gp.

5 (monk's outfit) + 50 (masterwork clothing) + 1,000 (for the +1) + 1000 (additional cost) + 3,000 (for the +2) + 1,000 (additional cost) = 6,055 gp.

Archer

First Post
Why would you make someone go through all that? Instead of bracers of armor you can have a robe of armor or a vest of armor. All of those have the proper affinities. The cost is simply AC squared. Who would have a surcharge to use up 2 item slots?

The Little Raven

First Post
Archer said:
Why would you make someone go through all that? Instead of bracers of armor you can have a robe of armor or a vest of armor. All of those have the proper affinities. The cost is simply AC squared. Who would have a surcharge to use up 2 item slots?

Players who accept what their DM allows in their game, instead of attempting to argue and pester him?

I never said for you to do it.

LokiDR

First Post
Mourn said:

I'm pondering allowing it. The clothing must first be masterwork, and it takes the place of a the "one vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso" and the "one robe or suit of armor on the body," thus requiring two item slots to be sacrificed. I also added +1,000 gp to each bonus it adds, so a +2 monk's outfit would cost 6,055 gp.

5 (monk's outfit) + 50 (masterwork clothing) + 1,000 (for the +1) + 1000 (additional cost) + 3,000 (for the +2) + 1,000 (additional cost) = 6,055 gp.

Houseruled, it might be fine. As published, it only took the armor slot so it could be worn with magic vestments.

As for your house rulse, I think they are cumbersome. Better to say double enchanting cost (ala cold iron) or normal cost + effective bonus*1000.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Mourn said:

Players who accept what their DM allows in their game, instead of attempting to argue and pester him?

I never said for you to do it.

Sometimes, the DM isn't right, and the players have to argue....

Anyway, I really see no problem with vestments of armor instead of bracers of armor.

mooby said:
I think celestial armor's bonuses take into account the material needed to create it already.

But I don't think a celestial chain shirt is a stretch.

You know, everyone seems to think the Celestial Armors are mithril. If you actually read the entries you will find they are made of gold and silver, not mithril.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
kigmatzomat said:
You know, everyone seems to think the Celestial Armors are mithril. If you actually read the entries you will find they are made of gold and silver, not mithril.

That's hard to say. "Gold" and "silver" are colors as well as metals, and the context doesn't force either meaning.

CRGreathouse said:

That's hard to say. "Gold" and "silver" are colors as well as metals, and the context doesn't force either meaning.

True, but only by interpolation would anyone believe it was mithril. By coloration it could be adamantine, steel, silver, or mithril. Only by assuming the magical properties are actual material can the assumption be made. I think that is a very dangerous assumption as well, since mithril chain retains the high AC bonuses and weight reductions in an antimagic zone or for d4 rounds after being dispelled. Celestial chain armors, as written, return to basic chain properties.

Not having the books handy I can't check the numbers, but magic mithril armor should have a higher material cost, but lower XP cost, than armor with magical mithril-like properties.

Remove ads