• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

May Rules Update

Felon

First Post
The original Infernal Wrath was next to useless. Presumably it was intended to balance against tieflings' otherwise powerful features. The new version is at least guaranteed to do something while still being quite weak (compared to Fey Step, Elven Accuracy, Second Chance, etc.)
Personally, I used infernal wrath to kill things. Seemed like a pretty useful thing to do at the time. :)

I don't have my books here, and I honestly don't remember what it used to be.
It was sort of implicit in my post that someone who actually was invested in playing a tiefling might have something to say.

Infernal wrath was originally intended to buff a power so that it got a bonus to attack and damage, and then you could add more effects through feats. Now, it's radically altered into a burst 10, free-action, auto-damage power. I'm not sure if that's any better or worse, so I don't know how it's more "in line" with other racial powers. It's probably better overall, and I'm not sure I agree circadianwolf's assertion that it's "quite weak" compared to other class racial abilities.

I'm not resentful or anything. Mostly just curious if anyone was going around starting heated discussions about this power. It worked fine as far as I could tell, and it was just such an innocuous thing to overhaul. Something had to prompt it.

And I have to say, if something about tieflings needed a radical change--in fact, if there was just one PHB rules update I could wish into existence--it would be to make tieflings +2 Int, +2 Cha or Con.

Last edited:

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Woe is me. My swordmage must replace Enlarge Spell, and my barbarian can no longer abuse Rage of the Crimson Hurricane. The barbarian will still be awesomeness incarnate, but the swordmage loses the only thing that made her worth playing. Time for her to set off some traps...

Akaiku

First Post
Woe is me. My swordmage must replace Enlarge Spell, and my barbarian can no longer abuse Rage of the Crimson Hurricane. The barbarian will still be awesomeness incarnate, but the swordmage loses the only thing that made her worth playing. Time for her to set off some traps...

If your barbarian was using pit fighter, you could always try swapping to kensai instead? +4 damage forever and +1 hit forever is often good, or did they make that one fighter only as well?

Perhaps they should just do a global update? "All paragon paths only work with the intended base class' powers and the paths own ones." Would get rid of all that 'synergy' that keeps irritating people.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
If your barbarian was using pit fighter, you could always try swapping to kensai instead? +4 damage forever and +1 hit forever is often good, or did they make that one fighter only as well?

Perhaps they should just do a global update? "All paragon paths only work with the intended base class' powers and the paths own ones." Would get rid of all that 'synergy' that keeps irritating people.

My barbarian is a Bear Warrior, which works a LOT better in practice than I imagined. Between the Rageblood and Half-Orc THP and the extra healing from Bear Warrior, she never got within shouting distance of bloodied.

I don't know about your suggestion for a global update. It's interesting that they are doing it piecemeal -- presumably they have a reason. I'm not big on crossing class boundaries for paragon paths, but especially for newly-introduced classes which do not yet have many PP options, I can see wanting to keep it open.

Markn

First Post
As much as I like the new updates, it feels like the updates were not thorough. For example, changes to auras in the Monster Manual were not changed in the MM2. Going to the compendium still gives the def from the MM2 - which now do not match.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like it does now. Wierd.

elawai

Community Supporter
Love Hop Down!

This has to be one of my favorite updates. Didn't really affect any of our characters in a negative ways, and then it solved one of the major discussions in our group - how to handle small step down type falls. I totally in love with the new Hop Down option under Acrobatics.

Festivus

First Post
also that healing zone (holy ground?) was nerfed a lot (indirectly) which seems like a good thing imho

You are thinking of Consecrated Ground (daily), which heals 1+Cha in a moveable burst 1 zone.

I was a bit grumpy about this at first but after thinking about it, yeah it was pretty overpowering and broke the whole concept of surges and healing. With Pacifist Healer and Astral Seal (and a few other powers) I could keep a party fully healed and hardly expending any surges.

Servers still clogged, can't get my update yet.:.-(

This is the main part of the game that feels like WOW to me.
It even updates on Tuesday, so it serves as maintenance day for both games. :p

Remove ads