• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

maybe be a very basic bow question

Laurel

First Post
This may be a real easy one, and I may have missed it going between DMG and PHB-- If so sorry for the stupidity a head of time:

A mighty bow adds to attack and damage (+ unlimited?)
A composite can add up to +5 of strenth bonus to damage.

Can they be stacked?

Ferret

Explorer
Mighty bows go up to +4, and are made from composite bows. Composite bows can reach further and long comps can be used from horse back. I can't remember reading anywhere that a comp bow lets you add more damage, unless it's because they are master worked.

RigaMortus

Explorer
In 3.5 they got rid of "mighty" bows. They are not just Composite Bows with a Strength modifer to damage anywhere between +0 and +5, just as "mighty" bows used to be in 3.0. Another difference is, if you Strength modifier doesn't meet the modifier of the composite bow, you'll take a -2 to hit. Example:

+2 Composite Longbow (can add up to +2 strength damage to an attack) is wielded by a person with a Strength score of 12 (only a +1 modifier). Since the Composite Longbow is +2 and the player's strength modifier doesn't meet that, he gets a -2 to hit with that bow. He'd need a +0 or +1 Composite Longbow to negate that.

Hope that helps!

JimAde

First Post
RigaMortus said:
In 3.5 they got rid of "mighty" bows. They are not just Composite Bows with a Strength modifer to damage anywhere between +0 and +5, just as "mighty" bows used to be in 3.0. Another difference is, if you Strength modifier doesn't meet the modifier of the composite bow, you'll take a -2 to hit. Example:

+2 Composite Longbow (can add up to +2 strength damage to an attack) is wielded by a person with a Strength score of 12 (only a +1 modifier). Since the Composite Longbow is +2 and the player's strength modifier doesn't meet that, he gets a -2 to hit with that bow. He'd need a +0 or +1 Composite Longbow to negate that.

Hope that helps!
I'm pretty sure the term "mighty" still exists. I never played 3.0 and I knew what he meant, so it must be in 3.5 :)

Nail

First Post
A few bits:
SRD_3.5e said:
Projectile Weapons: .....(snip)....A character gets no Strength bonus on damage rolls with a projectile weapon unless it’s a specially built composite shortbow, specially built composite longbow, or sling.

Strength only adds to damage, and the only bows that can do that are "specially built composite" bows.

SRD_3.5e said:
Longbow, Composite: ....(snip)... All composite bows are made with a particular strength rating (that is, each requires a minimum Strength modifier to use with proficiency)......(snip).... The default composite longbow requires a Strength modifier of +0 or higher to use with proficiency......
Point being, there are no "mighty" bows in 3.5e. Each composite bow should be listed with it's appropriate Stength modifer. (Higher modifiers cost extra, of course.)

This modifier is what you add to your damage roll....so long as you have at least that strength yourself. Extra Str doesn't get you extra damage, though.

So: Ftr with Str 18 using a Composite (+3) Long bow will do 1d8+3 damage. The extra point is wasted. If he picks up a Composite (+5) Longbow, he has a -2 penalty to hit, and he only does 1d8+4.

Last edited:

MichaelH

First Post
JimAde said:
I'm pretty sure the term "mighty" still exists. I never played 3.0 and I knew what he meant, so it must be in 3.5 :)
3.5 dropped the term "mighty" from composite bows. Even though you have not played 3.0, it is quite possible for you to be familiar with 3.0 terms, especially considering that many 3.0 to 3.5 conversion documents were circulated when 3.5 was released. Many threads also discuss 3.0 rules here at EN World as well as comparisons and critiques of both versions.

JimAde

First Post
MichaelH said:
3.5 dropped the term "mighty" from composite bows. Even though you have not played 3.0, it is quite possible for you to be familiar with 3.0 terms, especially considering that many 3.0 to 3.5 conversion documents were circulated when 3.5 was released. Many threads also discuss 3.0 rules here at EN World as well as comparisons and critiques of both versions.
My mistake. I think the term is still used in PCGen, which I use for character generation. We now return you to your regularly scheduled on-topic thread :)

Drakeskull

First Post
Max of +5?

I dont beleive there is a cap on how powerful you can get a mighty bow in 3.5. It doesnt state it anywhere and the War Troll has a +10 Composite longbow.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
RigaMortus said:
+2 Composite Longbow (can add up to +2 strength damage to an attack)
I find this nomenclature confusing, because it tends to muddle the difference between a composite longbow's strength adjustment, and its enhancement bonus. I prefer: +X composite longbow (str adj +Y) myself, where X is the enhancement and Y is the bow's strength adjustment. But that's just for clarification's sake.
Drakeskull said:
I dont beleive there is a cap on how powerful you can get a mighty bow in 3.5. It doesnt state it anywhere and the War Troll has a +10 Composite longbow.
I don't recall any limitation on the amount a composite bow can be adjusted for strength either. Though I must admit I only work from the SRD these days. Perhaps there's mention of it in the actual text of the 3.5 PH or DMG?
Nail said:
So: Ftr with Str 18 using a Composite (+3) Long bow will do 1d8+3 damage. The extra point is wasted. If he picks up a Composite (+5) Longbow, he has a -2 penalty to hit, and he only does 1d8+4.
Right, which is why in another thread it was mentioned that a lot of archers stop increasing their strength after a certain point, since an archer with a 16 strength and a +5 Holy Shocking Burst Longbow of Speed (str adj +3) would have to buy a new bow to take advantage of an 18 strength. 1 point of damage usually isn't worth the cost of replacing the bow.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads