MCDM Patreon Playtest Packet 1 is out.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Anyone here tried it out with a playtest yet?
Yea, we had a blast but didn't have too long left to play in the session once everyone was ready to start. The most memorable moment was when one of my players was lamenting the loss of nova>short rest>nova only to finally have the other players vent years of frustration that playloop or pout behavior of his caused. Someone also noted how victories allow for a potentially interesting throttle on consumables and new forms of them like a healing potion that transfers some portion of healing to another target as damage but consumes a victory

We are looking forward to watching things develop.

Last edited:

Helena Real

Dame of Solamnia (she/her)
How did the Conduit play like? Like how did it gain resource and what kind of powers did it have?
Sorry for the late reply, but I hadn't checked this. The Conduit's two heroic resources are Virtue and Wrath and you obtain them by using your Signature Abilities, which are attacks that also allow you to roll on a prayer table and that determines how many of each you obtain. There's a generic table for now, but each god/domain would have a different one in the full game.

Helena Real

Hi! We played another session yesterday. This time was even better than the last! Since we now knew the mechanics better, the combat was incredibly fluid and very dramatic. The way I'd describe it is a constant up and down, like a roller-coaster.

This time we fought no minions and 5 skeleton warriors, 4 skeleton archers, and a very nasty specter.

Since we had a victory from last session, we started with a victory, which gave us new options and, in the case of the Conduit, a starting Virtue or Wrath, which turned out to be pretty convenient as the skeleton warriors critted the Fury (~Barbarian) and almost had them bloodied, so I healed them with the Conduit on turn one.

Once again, if people have any questions, I'm more than willing to answer (and I'll activate notifications so I reply more promptly 😉)

Faolyn

(she/her)
@Helena Real, I was watching the video linked above and they mentioned something about gaining abilities each round of combat, like a barbarian's rage, and you need X rage to activate certain barbarian abilities. Do you spend that rage, meaning your total rage goes down, or do you simply need to have achieved a certain level of rage to use the powers, and the rage stays at that level?

Also, I saw that character sheets mentioned kits. Are those like subclasses or something else?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Also, I saw that character sheets mentioned kits. Are those like subclasses or something else?
Someone who has it can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Kits are a combination of Equipment, Proficiencies, & Fighting Style. So they give you your gear, your weapons & armor, and decide if you're a front, mid, or back-liner. That sort of thing?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Someone who has it can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Kits are a combination of Equipment, Proficiencies, & Fighting Style. So they give you your gear, your weapons & armor, and decide if you're a front, mid, or back-liner. That sort of thing?
We don't have a list of kits, just a description ad the play test stuff currently is not detailed at a depth that would really make reversing them out from the included characters really doable. The patreon includes a lot of things that are in flux and may or may not remain too so it's probably not worth trying even if it did.

With that said yes and no. I'll try to toss out maybe relevant tidbits I seem to remember from some of the videos without going back to rewatch them below.

• Some of them were described as giving a larger hp bonus than others, a heavy plate armor wearing one having more hp than a lighter armored one slipping my mind was talked about.
    • I'm not sure if it was stated implied or confabulated that damage range & additional effects might be available through them so a whip feels different than a pistol or whatever too
  • At least one video mentioned a magic sword(?) where if your kit allowed you to use a great big sword you could use it
  • Another video talked about magic items advancing in power with you & being few in number (2-3 across ten levels?) but consumables like potions & such would be more common and were just whatever they were when you got them.
  • I think when kits were first mentioned there was a conversation described where they were called "[MCDM's] multiclassing" Based on the various stray tidbits I feel like you might be a better tank if you take a high +HP kit than a more merlin/robinhood/indiana jones/etc styled kit by virtue of having more HP, but I think your class would contribute much more to if you are a front/mid/back-liner type role

FitzTheRuke

Legend
We don't have a list of kits, just a description ad the play test stuff currently is not detailed at a depth that would really make reversing them out from the included characters really doable. The patreon includes a lot of things that are in flux and may or may not remain too so it's probably not worth trying even if it did.

With that said yes and no. I'll try to toss out maybe relevant tidbits I seem to remember from some of the videos without going back to rewatch them below.

• Some of them were described as giving a larger hp bonus than others, a heavy plate armor wearing one having more hp than a lighter armored one slipping my mind was talked about.
    • I'm not sure if it was stated implied or confabulated that damage range & additional effects might be available through them so a whip feels different than a pistol or whatever too
  • At least one video mentioned a magic sword(?) where if your kit allowed you to use a great big sword you could use it
  • Another video talked about magic items advancing in power with you & being few in number (2-3 across ten levels?) but consumables like potions & such would be more common and were just whatever they were when you got them.
  • I think when kits were first mentioned there was a conversation described where they were called "[MCDM's] multiclassing" Based on the various stray tidbits I feel like you might be a better tank if you take a high +HP kit than a more merlin/robinhood/indiana jones/etc styled kit by virtue of having more HP, but I think your class would contribute much more to if you are a front/mid/back-liner type role
I was close! That sounds right. Thanks for clarification. Obviously, we'll still need to see to understand them fully.

Helena Real

@Helena Real, I was watching the video linked above and they mentioned something about gaining abilities each round of combat, like a barbarian's rage, and you need X rage to activate certain barbarian abilities. Do you spend that rage, meaning your total rage goes down, or do you simply need to have achieved a certain level of rage to use the powers, and the rage stays at that level?

In the case of Rage it's both. Some abilities require you to have a certain amount of Rage—e.g. you need to have 3 Rage to get the damage reduction—while others ask you to spend Rage to use them, so it's an interesting push and pull mechanic IMO.

Kits are more equipment/customization packs which affect various statistics on your character sheet. The ones we have now match the Classes, so the Conduit has a Priest kit, for example.

Remove ads