MCDM RPG classes. YouTube video.

I'm digging the description of "Focus."

I just need a succinct way to describe it. Where you generate resources while in combat, instead of starting combat with a set number of resources to spend, or even start off with an undefined number of resources that decrease under certain circumstances.

Maybe, "momentum mechanics?"

No, because my game already uses that! :p

Its actually been interesting seeing the similar design approaches they've been taking, which have gone in a very different direction than where I took them.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Man. Those playtest sessions fill up quick. Within 10 minutes of posting there are already 20 people clambering for a spot when the GM only needs 5 players with 1-2 alternates. Good luck, darjr.

Nijay

Explorer
He revealed a quarterbacking class and a class with unlimited teleportation? I get that his game is founded on tactical and cinematic combat, so having a tactician/leader shouting like a Guild Wars 2 paragon and an assassin that bampfs around like Nightcrawler fit right in, and both are in line with the pulpy/campy vibe I'm getting.

My history includes a play style which evolved into a silent quarterbacking, which I realize says nothing good about me as a player or as a person. Some of my characters were a force-sensitive Ewok with a core concept that I would stand next to the priority target, distract it, and dodge attacks, with fear for crowd control. A halfling fighter that recklessly and tenaciously pursued the priority target. And a warlord who could directly move allies and attack with them. My current character is a 5e cleric, which I was surprised to find was designed around the idea of standing next to the priority target to grant advantage to others. The Warlord class really stands out to me as the most heavy handed of these. A cleric has a soft taunt by virtue of being a priority target, and Sanctuary can shift aggro off someone, another kind of soft taunt-like effect. A smol character fearlessly taking on a tough adversary can be inspiring, if for no other reason than the other party members will recognize you need help regardless of your class or dps. A warlord/tactician has hard controls, which function as spell-like effects, which I sometimes find problematic for immersion, and without the uncertainty and tension of soft controls. The tactician class will be chosen by people like me for less than noble reasons.

Focus/doom/etc. sounds like cool down timers, which sounds like MMORPG combat, which sounds like 4e territory.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Man. Those playtest sessions fill up quick. Within 10 minutes of posting there are already 20 people clambering for a spot when the GM only needs 5 players with 1-2 alternates. Good luck, darjr.
LOL. I just happened to be on discord when a playtest announcement popped. I clicked over and there were already 15 people in line. It wasn’t even a full 60 seconds after the notification noise. I’m just going to withdraw from that channel. Really no point.

darjr

I crit!
LOL. I just happened to be on discord when a playtest announcement popped. I clicked over and there were already 15 people in line. It wasn’t even a full 60 seconds after the notification noise. I’m just going to withdraw from that channel. Really no point.
Yea, fills up instantly

Zaukrie

New Publisher
James just said there won't be a preview with the KS, and I'm shocked anyone launches a KS without a preview of the game rules at this point. They have enough super fans to make more than a million, but I can't imagine this won't hurt sales.

Remove ads