MCDM's New Tactical TTRPG Hits $1M Crowdfunding On First Day!

Tactical TTRPG focuses on heroes fighting monsters with a combat-oriented system.

t1711elj9hc26fn0vriuji65m5mp.jpeg

Matt Colville's MCDM is no stranger to crowdfunding, with three million dollar Kickstarters already under its belt. With the launch of The MCDM RPG, that makes four!

This new game is not a D&D variant or a supplement for D&D, which is what MCDM has focussed on so far. This is an all-new game which concentrates on tactical play, with a fulfilment goal of July 2025. It comes in two books--a 400-page 'Heroes' book and a 'Monsters' book which is an adaption of the existing Flee, Mortals!

The game takes aim at traditional d20 fantasy gaming, referring to the burden of 'sacred cows from the 1970s', but point out that it's not a dungeon crawling or exploration game--its core activity is fighting monsters. The system is geared towards tactical combat--you roll 2d6, add an attribute, and do that damage; there's no separate attack roll.

At $40 for the base Heroes PDF and $70 for the hardcover (though there are discounts for both books if you buy them together), it's not a cheap buy-in, but with over 4,000 backers already that's not deterring anybody!

Even more ambitiously, one of the stretch goals is a Virtual Tabletop (VTT). There's already a working prototype of it.

Tactician.png
Kits.png

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm likely to back at the PDF level.....can always change my mind and back out if needed (this is so big a few people doing that won't kill them).

I'd kind of like more monsters that we don't already have, but I get it.....also, more adventures would be great! Just convert the Arcadia stuff....

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It is not. Matt talked about that. Apparently they have a few names thought out but he expected that if you used them, someone would just say "what's that?" and then you'd say "it's the MDCM rpg." It actually makes sense as I think of titles like Tales of the Valliant.
Yeah, they're in a tough spot in a way. Their existing fans, who are throwing money at this project right now, for sure know it as "MCDM RPG." But presumably they hope to grow beyond that core audience, and having a name that suggests absolutely nothing to the broader audience will be a hindrance.

I imagine the brainstorming sessions are tough.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah, they're in a tough spot in a way. Their existing fans, who are throwing money at this project right now, for sure know it as "MCDM RPG." But presumably they hope to grow beyond that core audience, and having a name that suggests absolutely nothing to the broader audience will be a hindrance.

I imagine the brainstorming sessions are tough.
According to the video linked just before this post, they have a short list of names but haven’t decided on one yet.

agrayday

Explorer
That limited edition box with the mini sold out (999 available copies @ $500.00 a pop) within two hours. People seem to have a lot more money to spend on RPGs now, than when i was teen/young adult in the 80s. I recall saving up cash just to try and stay somewhat current with the game releases our group played.

Remove ads

Remove ads