Mearls is the new manager of D&D

Varl

First Post
There were plenty of things to like about the game, but the attitude around it was off. It almost seemed like the people behind D&D didn't particularly care for the way I loved D&D. Maybe I was completely irrational, but the game felt changed in some insidious way.

The irony of this comment concerning your feelings towards 2e back in the day in relation to how old school gamers feel about today's "D&D" is particularly poignant and familiar.

Congrats on the promotion. It seems a rare thing in an economy such as this.

If mearls does anything, I hope he gets monster tokens published.

I've been playing the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay the past three weeks and Fantasy Flight Games has made Wizards of the Coast look completely inept with regards to PC, NPC, and monster representation on the battlefield.

The D&D Essentials Monster Vault comes with tokens.
And thank the Lord! The D&D Essentials Dungeon Master's Kit also does, IIRC. From what I hear these tokens will be printed on the same cardstock that WotC's Dungeon Tiles are, which is great news. Hopefully the art will rock too!

Klaus, didn't you illustrate a set of tiles a while back?

At any rate, I'm excited that these are going to be available. It's too hard to continue to justify the cost of all those damned minis I've bought and still don't have enough of. And since I and others had been asking for tokens, I will consider this another instance of WotC doing what "people" said was impossible for them: listening to their fanbase. Bravo, WotC!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It should be noted that the last Game Day and the D&D Encounters program have also come with thick cardboard tokens (albeit of a generic sort). And there were more in the current D&D Basic set (plus dungeon tiles).

firesnakearies

Explorer
The ones in the current 4E Starter Set are really nice, actually. They're just like the dungeon tiles (same material/thickness/texture), and have full-color art from the Monster Manual pictures on them.

It should be noted that the last Game Day and the D&D Encounters program have also come with thick cardboard tokens (albeit of a generic sort). And there were more in the current D&D Basic set (plus dungeon tiles).

The ones in the current 4E Starter Set are really nice, actually. They're just like the dungeon tiles (same material/thickness/texture), and have full-color art from the Monster Manual pictures on them.
This is encouraging!

Can anyone say what's on the back of them? I think it would be cool if the reverse side was reddish or had a red border, to show the Bloodied condition.

firesnakearies

Explorer
This is encouraging!

Can anyone say what's on the back of them? I think it would be cool if the reverse side was reddish or had a red border, to show the Bloodied condition.

Actually, the tokens in the box that are intended for PCs do have this very feature, a red-tinged "bloodied" side. The monster tokens, on the other hand, do not. Instead, they have a different monster on the reverse side. Which is great, because it's like doubling the number of monster tokens you have available.

Klaus

First Post
And thank the Lord! The D&D Essentials Dungeon Master's Kit also does, IIRC. From what I hear these tokens will be printed on the same cardstock that WotC's Dungeon Tiles are, which is great news. Hopefully the art will rock too!

Klaus, didn't you illustrate a set of tiles a while back?

At any rate, I'm excited that these are going to be available. It's too hard to continue to justify the cost of all those damned minis I've bought and still don't have enough of. And since I and others had been asking for tokens, I will consider this another instance of WotC doing what "people" said was impossible for them: listening to their fanbase. Bravo, WotC!
Not to derail the thread, but yeah, I did counters for Fiery Dragon's Counter Collections, covering every single creature in the MM1 and every Heroic-tier creature in MM2, and I did every PHB1 race/class/gender combination and a bunch of dungeon dressing tiles for BattleBox 4e: Fiery Dragon » RPG Products

Back to the thread.

firesnakearies

Explorer
Not to derail the thread, but yeah, I did counters for Fiery Dragon's Counter Collections, covering every single creature in the MM1 and every Heroic-tier creature in MM2, and I did every PHB1 race/class/gender combination and a bunch of dungeon dressing tiles for BattleBox 4e: Fiery Dragon » RPG Products

Those are really nice-looking. I'm seriously considering buying one or two of those collections in .pdf form.

Do you think you'll do a similar counter pack when the new Dark Sun monster book comes out? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Actually, the tokens in the box that are intended for PCs do have this very feature, a red-tinged "bloodied" side. The monster tokens, on the other hand, do not. Instead, they have a different monster on the reverse side. Which is great, because it's like doubling the number of monster tokens you have available.

In addition, the generic monster tokens from the Game Day do have the bloodied side on the other... except for the minions, which have "Hazards" on the other side.

Cheers!

Remove ads