• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mearls talks about his inspiration for the 4e classes

Jack99

Adventurer
For those who don't want to read the entire entry, the Chronicles is a five-book fantasy series. It's technically written for adolescents and young adults, but I've found it to be enjoyable as an adult, and it's much darker than what we consider to be YA-material today. (It was written back in the 60s.)

Decent books, just don't expect too much, they are written for kids (IMO).

Shroomy

Adventurer
I loved the Chronicles when I read them in middle school; I should read them again as after 20 years, my memory has become very fuzzy. I do remember a couple of years ago that Dragon had an article about adapting the Chronicles to 3.5e D&D.

Klaus

First Post
The only contact I had with Prydain was The Black Cauldron, and Ffleudderr Flan (or however it's spelled) was by far the most annoying character (even more than the pseudo Gollum).

The only contact I had with Prydain was The Black Cauldron, and Ffleudderr Flan (or however it's spelled) was by far the most annoying character (even more than the pseudo Gollum).

Judging the Chronicles of Prydain by the Disney version of The Black Cauldron is like judging D&D by the Dungeons & Dragons movie with Marlon Wayans and Jeremy Irons. :)

amysrevenge

First Post
When I was younger the Cauldron-Born were the freakiest villains I had ever read in a book.

What about those hunting packs (whose name I forget), where the members get progressively stronger as you kill other members, until the remaining few are nigh invulnerable?

I think about that notion quite often, but have never really gotten around to actually fleshing it out in game terms.

Remove ads