Campaigns inspired by songs

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Technically, since BÖC’s “Black Blade”, “Veteran of 1000 Psychic Wars” (mentioned upthread) and Hawkwind’s “Needle Gun”, “Kings of Speed” The Wizard Blew His Horn", "Standing at the Edge" and "Warriors" are based on various aspects of Michael Moorcock’s Eternal Champion saga*, you can jump right into that.

* There might possibly be other songs by other bands as well that tie into the Eternal Champion cycle, but those mentioned were partially penned by Moorcock himself.

Last edited:

greymist

Lurker Extraordinaire
There’s definitely an adventure in Wrapped Around Your Finger by the Police. A wizard’s apprentice stealing from their master and then ending up in situation beyond their capabilities. Or something like that!

You consider me the young apprentice
Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes
Hypnotized by you if I should linger
Staring at the ring around your finger​
I have only come here seeking knowledge
Things they would not teach me of in college
I can see the destiny you sold turned into a shining band of gold​
I'll be wrapped around your finger

Mephistopheles is not your name
I know what you're up to just the same
I will listen hard to your tuition
You will see it come to its fruition
I'll be wrapped around your finger​
Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
Vanish in the air you'll never find me
I will turn your face to alabaster
When you'll find your servant is your master​
You'll be wrapped around my finger​

R_J_K75

Legend
I'm sure that Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden are rife with songs (if not the whole records) that could make good adventures or a campaign. Im surprised no one has mentioned them yet, unless I missed it.

Having said that, Bruce Dickinson has a new concept album coming out on March 1st called the Mandrake Project. There is also a 12-issue comic book series tie-in which the 1st issue came out in January. Seems it would make for a good modern/Cthulhu campaign.

The Mandrake Project Article

Z2 Comics - The Mandrake Project No 1

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Clutch’s Strange Cousins From The West has several songs that could inspire adventures or campaigns, like:

“Minotaur” is loosely based on the Greek myth, before the arrival of Theseus.

“Sleestack Lightning” treats the TV show critters as some kind of cryptid. Very X-Files.

Speaking of X-Files, “50,000 Unstoppable Watts” has a Lone Gunmen/nutty conspiracy theorist vibe. Could definitely inspire an adventure OR a campaign feature- a source of info from the fringes of society…and reality.

Last edited:

Rush's 2112 is an entire campaign setting!

xanadu could make for a pretty metal campaign - maybe the party is looking for it, maybe the villain is looking for it, maybe both are looking for it and it becomes an indiana jones and the last crusade situation...maybe the party already found it and the campaign is about escaping it. who knows.

i'm just imagining the (pen?)ultimate boss being an insane max level bard/wizard gestalt who's singing the song as he's fighting the party (to try to scare them off). could be pretty metal.

Remove ads