• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mearls? Wyatt? A low-magic question...

smathis

First Post
Mkay. So a friend of mine got the books from buy.com and was nice enough to let me peruse them last night. I got a good look at the PHB and the DMG but I only got about 15 minutes with the MM.

Let's just say... Best. Edition. Evah.

The team delivered on so many levels. Just really great work.

Now, onto my question...

Because low-magic is so near and dear to my heart, the first thing I was rifling through the books for were the expected PC bonuses at each level for magic items. You know, the ones that would make getting rid of magic items (for the most part) easy to do.

But I couldn't find it.

I found the Magic Item parcels. Is that what was being mentioned?

I'm summoning Mearls because he mentioned removing magic items in a previous post and I was wondering if that section was removed from the PHB or the DMG. Or if maybe I was misinterpreting what he said.

I'm co-summoning Wyatt because in the DMG there was a blurb under (I think) campaigns that talked about the default assumptions of a D&D world and that those could be changed. I read the one about making magic mysterious and rare and I was like "YES! PLEASE!"

But I didn't see any guidelines on how to do that.

Maybe someone who has had more time with the books (like the developers :D ) can share their insight/wisdom?

malraux

First Post
Its there if you look or think about it. Every 5 levels = +1 to attack and damage, AC and defenses. There's also a bit more damage, and the AC and defenses often get extra powers.

Irda Ranger

First Post
malraux said:
Its there if you look or think about it. Every 5 levels = +1 to attack and damage, AC and defenses. There's also a bit more damage, and the AC and defenses often get extra powers.
Malraux is pretty much on the mark there. Assume a +1 to Defenses, Attacks and Damage per 5 levels and +1d6 on a crit per 5 levels. You also need to allow the heavy armor guys to upgrade to the MW armors or give them an additional +1/5 levels to AC to help them keep with with the guys who dump all their stat increases into Dex or Int.

Harr

First Post
Yep the thing is it's so extremely simple you'd think there's a separate sectin for it or something, but there's really no need.

If you have the PHB, look at page 225 at the table there. That's... pretty much it :D complement that with the MW armor bonuses from the table at page 214 and you're good to go (actually you might just say that MW armor isn't really magical and leave it at that... even more simple).

smathis

First Post
Awesome. Thanks for the help.

I don't have the books yet. I was just able to look at a friend's.

I'll definitely take note of this for any future low-magic campaign.

Thanks a bunch. And you all are right. It looks to be much simpler now.

Thanks.

Remove ads