Medallions d20 Modern (Update Wednesday 09-20-06)

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 1 (5/07/2003) Late Night Research

Session 1 (5/07/2003) Late Night Research

As it turned out, Joe didn’t have a car either. So Taylor found herself giving rides to both Crystal and Joe. She dropped Crystal off at one of the university libraries.

Joe clambered out of the backseat and hopped up front. Taylor waited for him to wrap a seat belt around his considerable girth. She realized he smelled vaguely of Cheetos, but tried not to think about it too much, as she asked, “Where to?”

“Could we get back into the library tonight? There’s a few things I would like to look up that I couldn’t find online.”

Taylor thought for a moment. The repairmen had replaced the glass in the library’s front door this morning while she has swept up the broken glass. Mr. and Mrs. Hammack had scrubbed the blood out of the carpet and collected the damaged books before giving her the night off. They had said they would close the library until tomorrow, so it should be deserted. She nodded as she turned south onto Highway 31, “Alright, we can do that.”

. . .

The parking lot was dark, except for a small pool of light from a lonely lamppost set far from the front door. Normally, there was a light over the front door that was kept on at night, but with no one here, it apparently had not been turned on.

The front door looked completely repaired, though there was still some tape and some kind of caulk around the edges. The window that Joe had crashed through twenty-four hours earlier was covered over with a sheet of plywood. There was a single lamp on inside at the front desk, enough to see the little orange pylon and makeshift ‘wet floor’ sign that Mrs. Hammack had put up just inside.

Joe shuffled his feet back and forth and watched the parking lot as Taylor opened the front door. He sounded like he was nervous, but was trying to hide it, “So, you been working here long?”

“Nope. Only three weeks.” The lock was sticking. Perhaps the door had been bent when the men crashed through it.

“Oh, that’s not long. What did you do before this?”

“You know that library we dropped Crystal off at earlier? I was a librarian there.” The door finally opened, and they headed inside. Taylor flipped a couple of light switches, and the place was bathed in golden light. She locked the doors behind them. Joe moved over to the front desk and then stopped and looked around the room.

“Where’s a computer?”

“There’s one behind the front desk, but it’s old.”

Joe started to walk around the front desk. “I just want to look up some books to see what you have.”

Taylor adopted a wide grin. “Sorry, no luck.”

Joe ignored her and moved over to the computer. “Don’t worry. I’m good with computers. I can-”

He stopped. She wasn’t kidding. This computer was old. It was an old Apple II, with a monochrome monitor that looked like it was held together by the mound of sticky notes plastered over its top and sides. To its right was an old dot matrix printer loaded with greenbar.

“Are you serious?” He looked like he had just seen a ghost.

Taylor nodded with a deeply suffering look, “It doesn’t have a catalog. It just does memberships and tracks what people check out. It doesn’t even have a modem.” She had not complained to anyone about it before, but now that she had someone to show it too, she had to vent some frustration.

“That’s insane,” Joe looked disgusted.

“No, what’s insane is that we used to have a bunch of computers. Like four of five brand new ones, and they took them all away when I started working here.”

Joe paused and looked at her with one eyebrow raised. “Okay, china girl, you want that by me again?”

“Ok, again, I’m not Chinese, I’m Korean.”

Joe waited.

“Well, I started working here three weeks ago.” She had to admit, now that she started saying it out loud, there was a lot that she had accepted that was a little bit strange about the job. “I was working at Sterne library. That’s the big one at UAB. I’m studying for my doctorate in Sociology.”

Joe moved over to the card catalog. He cracked the knuckles on each hand before pulling open a drawer and flipping cards.

“So, anyway, one day I get a call for Mr. Hammack. He’s my boss here. Anyway, he called and offered me a job here as an assistant librarian, just working nights. And he offered me a lot of money…actually way, way more money than a librarian ought to be making. Especially somebody without a degree in Library Science whose only library experience was part time work at the university.”

Joe perked up and turned around, “How much?”

“Well…almost three times what I should be getting paid.”

“And you still drive that piece of crap?”

“Well, I’ve only been working here three wee—Hey, at least I have a car, fat boy.”

Joe pulled a small notebook from his backpack and copied down a number from a card in the catalog.

“So anyway, I took the job. And when I got here, they were doing a lot of changes. Weird stuff.”

“Like what?”

“Like, they removed all the computers, and the internet access. And they replaced the computer at the desk with that piece of junk. And they completely removed the entire children’s section, plus the government publications section and the whole entire section on literary critiques.”

Joe was clearly lost from the look on his face. Taylor couldn’t tell if he was looking for a specific section of the library, or if she had lost him somewhere in her story. He paused at one bookshelf in the local history section and then turned a corner while asking, “Okay, so what does all of that mean in English?”

“Well…it means they just removed the three most popular sections of the library….plus they removed the computers and internet access, which means they removed the other big reason people come in here. Then, they removed the community bulletin board area and they started charging fees for people to use the meeting rooms. And then they cancelled pretty much every community event we had for the last month.”

“I’m not following you,” Joe muttered, while counting books with his finger, looking for a particular title.

“Well, I thought it was just budget cutbacks at the time, or maybe Mr. Hamack had gone a little senile. He acts senile actually quite a bit.” Taylor frowned and thought more about it. Budget cutbacks didn’t really make any sense considering the salary they were paying her. “But anyhow, looking at it now, I think they were doing this all deliberately. I think they wanted people to stop coming to the library.”

Joe pulled two books of the shelf and motioned Taylor over to one of the tables. He was already flipping open one of the books as he asked, “Why would they want people to stop coming to the library?”

“I don’t know,” Taylor admitted. “But I’ve been working nights mostly for the past three weeks. And we’ve been open until ten every night. And in that whole time, no one has ever come in after dark until last night when you all came in.”

Joe paused and looked up from the book, “And we all show up at the same time, and five minutes later, all hell breaks loose.”

“Exactly.”

. . .

Blotta-blotta-blotta-caaaarip-blotta-blotta-blotta-blotta-blotta-caaarip.

The old dot-matrix printer finished its job and scrolled out the last page. Taylor scrolled an additional page out of the dusty machine and carefully tore the paper along the perforated line. After folding the paper up into a neat thirty-page pile, she turned off the computer and headed back over to Joe’s table.

“Here’s the list of library patrons. One thousand forty-two people.”

Joe folded the stack one more time and shoved it into his backpack. He flipped the page back on his notebook and spun it around to face Taylor. “Take a look at this.”

Taylor pulled the notebook over and glanced at his notes. Joe had neat handwriting. Boyish handwriting, not feminine, but very neat. She actually thought the handwriting looked familiar for a minute and then realized what it was. His handwriting looked exactly like the printing in a comic book. She sighed, rolled her eyes, and started reading.

Joe had been searching for information about G.B. Ward, the Ward Numismatic Society, and for any information about the history of the library. He had a stack of books in front of him from the library’s local history section, plus several boxes of files from the library’s business records.

According to his notes, the library was not technically a public library at all. At least legally, it was a private library, owned and operated by and for the Ward Numismatic Society. But in terms of how it operated on a day-to-day basis, and how it presented itself to the public, it was a normal public library.

The Society apparently owned a separate entity known as the Friends of the Library. This separate entity actually owned the library and had funded its work since the beginning.

In the past decade, the library had been further financially supported by large contributions from local philanthropist Dick Scorse, from South-Medical.

. . .

Crystal didn’t have time for this. She had her Choctaw Oral Histories paper due next Monday, and she was already behind on it after that fiasco last night.

But, she was already right next to the microfiche machine, and there was no one using it. She could afford a few minutes.

She sat down at the little indexing computer and typed in a few search terms. After a moment, the screen returned a handful of possible matches. Selecting the oldest match available, Crystal wrote down the number and brought it over to the librarian.

A moment later, the librarian handed her a microfiche cartridge. Crystal fed it into the slot on the side of the machine and twiddled the knobs over to the appropriate coordinates.

The image on the screen was a negative of the Birmingham News, dated a little over six years ago. It was an article about the completion of the new Mountain View Church in Vestavia. Crystal hit the print button and then skimmed the article for any important facts, but there wasn’t much to go on.

The Church was built six years ago, funded entirely by private contributions. In an inspiring little anecdote, the pastor relayed to the reporter how he had been offering services in a small makeshift building while attempting to raise money for the main construction. He had asked the parishioners to fill out pledge cards stating their name and the amount of money they could donate to the new construction. The pastor had asked that each person try to donate one hundred dollars, but that they could take as little as a dollar if that was all that someone could manage.

One particular parishioner had turned in his pledge slip, and signed it. The amount listed was seven hundred thousand dollars. The name on the slip was local philanthropist Dick Scorse, from South-Medical.

Well, anyhow, nothing useful for their current situation, but she would definitely save the article to show the others when she saw them again. With that taken care of, Crystal proceeded to get back to her homework.

Last edited:

Old Drew Id

First Post
Finally done with session 1. Whew! I will take a breather and try to post the start of session 2 tomorrow morning.

Thanks for reading!

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Drew, this is fantastic work. Your writing is descriptive and easy to read. It is a real treat.

I love the characters and your development of them. Joe is perfect and the reverend Cooper is spot on. I love how he calls Joe Joseph. All the characters are a treat. Thanks for the hard work and a great story.

So, when do we get another update?

spyscribe

First Post
Pfew. Great work.

I just read straight through from the beginning and especially appreciate the character introductions. Enough information to work with, but not so much to be confusing. That's a tough line to walk and you did it well.

(contact)

Explorer
Re: Joe Empire

Old Drew Id said:
[BThen you got tired and passed out in front of the TV, under a protective layer of Cheetos. [/B]

Love it. I resemble this remark. After having read through the SH, I just want to point out that:

1) White people are crazy,
2) The comic-book guy is probably right,
3) When that many patrons of a library are strapped, Something Is Deeply Wrong, and
4) White people are crazy.

carpedavid

First Post
Fantastic. I just found a new story hour to start reading on a regular basis. Between you, jonrog, Piratecat, and Sagiro, I'm never going to get anything done at work.

More, more!

ledded

Herder of monkies
medallions

This is the guy who plays Willie Lamar in this story, and I just wanted to say that Old Drew ID has done a great job writing up our game, but the game itself is 100 times more interesting than the reading... it's one of those games that makes you wish you didnt have to work so you could play more ;^)

One thing to note: when we started, against popular convention, *noone* decided to play a super-soldier gunslinger violence freak... every one of these characters started as normal people with classes like smart hero and charismatic hero, with fairly normal stats, faults, problems and a typical life which makes it even more interesting. Even Willie is a charismatic hero... he just *acts*like he's a bad-*&& (charm:female, of course, 'cause he's the private dick that gets all the chicks...).

In-game we all bicker and argue in-character just like a group as disparate as this one would actually do, which increases the fun 10-fold IMO.

Great job on the GM'ing and the writing Old Drew Id

Spatula

Explorer
Drew, that was great! And what an odd mix of characters, rules-wise (the only one with a 'combat' class is an overweight geek!) and roles-wise. Did everyone make their characters individually, or as a group? With two Smarts and two Charismatics, it seems like there's a good chance for a lot of overlap in abilities.

And kudos to whoever chose to play the Comic Book Guy. Hilarious.

Pierce

First Post
Characters

Spatula:

I play Guyzell, the preacher. Like ledded said, we all came up with our own characters. Once we got together, we realized that no one was very good at combat - I didn't even have the Personal Firearms feat. Stack that with a 9 DEX and you've got a character with a shotgun with a -5 to hit. Fortunately, Drew is very good at setting up adventures that match up with the party's abilities while still presenting a good challenge. I think we ended up with four combats in this episode (which spans 30-40 hours of playing time) - just enough to make it dangerous and fun, but not anything that would result in a TPK without horrendous rolls.

What's funny is that we've all got backup characters (sometimes multiple backups) for if/when our primaries get killed. I think out of the 6 or so backups in the group, only one or two of those are combat oriented. Maybe it's just a symptom of d20 - it seems to lend itself to being less combat-focused that D&D. Maybe it's that we've been playing D&D (in this group) for three years now and we're ready for something different as a whole. Or maybe it's that we're a bunch of dummies and are begging to get slaughtered.... who can say??

Kradge

First Post
Silly question

First off, love the story hour Drew. Just one of the many ways a d20 Modern game can go and definitely sounds like alot of fun. On top of that I'm a Birminghamer and the references to the city make it all the more entertaining a read. I do have a question though, rather silly, but is Empire comics based on a real store? Three or four years ago I was a regular at a Hoover gaming store that closed down recently. Now that I'm just another working slob/Ph.D student I was thinking about looking around and finding a good local store so I could avoid sending my money off to Amazon.com land. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

Remove ads