Medallions d20 Modern (Update Wednesday 09-20-06)

ledded

Herder of monkies
Re: Guyzell's a Charming Man

Originally posted by Spatula
I'll look forward to seeing that... So Willie has charm (the ladies) and Guyzell has charm (males)? At least there you're covering each other's blindspots.

pierceatwork said:

<snip Pierceatworks creation process>

Please note that this is roleplaying and does not reflect the personal opinions of the player (me)! ;)

If anyone's interested, I can post his history.

Similar process for my man, Willie... and note that until the first night, none of us knew anything about each others character at all except for maybe some broad statement, like I think I told a couple of the guys I was going to play a "black P.I. character". So we get there, get the really cool handouts, initially meet everyone, then 2 minutes later combat erupts. Later, we just all kind of fell together as our talents fit, though there is a lot more in-character bickering (particularly non-"politically correct") than the story shows, mainly because it is such a diverse group, and we have good *really* good players. And the GM's PC/NPC is an abusive little hussy ;^).

Pierce

First Post
Guyzell's History

Guyzell was born in Eastaboga, AL on July 18, 1965. His parents, Thomas and Barbara, were dirt poor farmers, raising hogs for their income. When he was 18, Guyzell moved to Birmingham to take a job as a car salesman. After a number of years bouncing from dealership to dealership, he found himself pretty much broke and on the edge of homelessness. One weekend in the spring of 1989 he was driving out to see his parents when his old truck finally broke down. He ended up hitching to the nearest exit and then walking to Embry Crossroads. Searching for a pay phone to call his folks, he stumbled across a tent revival in an old used car lot. Even though he was raised Christian, his family had rarely gone to church; there was always too much work to do around the farm. The clapping and singing intrigued him and he decided to check it out. Four hours later, he had been baptized and saved.

After the service, the minister, John Frankenhowser, invited Guyzell and a few others to his house to eat and talk about Jesus. The talk lasted long into the night and finally left Guyzell and Frankenhowser alone. The minister, an old but hale man, saw something special in Guyzell and decided to confide in him. He told Guyzell that the Devil was not just an idea - He was real and active in the world. Old Scratch was always getting people into trouble, hurting the innocent and yes, even possessing the bodies and harvesting the souls of the unsaved. He showed Guyzell the scars he had received in battle with Satan's minions, showed him pictures of beasts that weren't in the encyclopedia. When Guyzell still wasn't completely convinced, Frankenhowser took him into the basement. There lay what looked to be a mummified body, but it definitely wasn't human. There were bat wings attached to the thing's back. It had two-inch long horns coming out of its forehead. Guyzell could make out the points of fangs parting the desiccated lips. And the whole thing simply stank of evil. Frankenhowser told him of how he had managed to defeat the demon with the help of his old partner a few months ago and in the process his partner had been killed. He knew from experience that the demon wasn't completely destroyed, but he hadn't been able to get together all the necessary components to do so. He was forced to remain with the body to ensure its state each night and could not leave long enough to get the supplies. In the end, Guyzell volunteered to retrieve the needed objects - a sprig of mistletoe bathed in the mists of Niagara Falls (an extremely holy place), a child's boot and a condor's feather. After a few weeks of flying across the country (Frankenhowser has quite a few resources available), Guyzell brought back the three components and Frankenhowser was able to banish the demon.

Frankenhowser made Guyzell his new partner in the fight against Satan and funded the beginnings of his evangelistic campaign. Frankenhowser is nearly too old to go "adventuring," preferring instead to stay in Embry Crossroads and hold his weekly revivals. Occasionally he will call on Guyzell if he hears of a menace in the area, but normally just helps him write sermons and brainstorm ways to attract people to the Faith.

In the last 10 years, Guyzell has been able to build a respectable congregation and has a weekly show on cable access. His videotaped Sunday morning services are broadcast the following Thursday afternoon from 2:30 to 4pm.

Guyzell is an avid reader and has a large and varied collection of books.

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Willie Lamar's history

Willie was born Wilson James Lamar in Birmingham on August 8, 1968, the second of 4 children, living in a low income section of Birmingham's West End. His father left right after his youngest brother was born and last he heard he was doing construction work in Seattle, not that Willie cares, leaving his family having to lean heavily on his grandparents and many cousins. His younger brother died in a night of violence when Willie was 17, labelled as "gang related" and given only half-hearted investigation by local authorities. Not long after, his patriarchal grandfather, James, passed away of a heart attack. Willie himself started on a downward spiraling path as his mother, having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet, was unable to spend the time he needed with him. His strong-willed grandmother soon took charge, "convincing" Willie to join the marines so he could stay out of trouble and get an education. Two years later, he found himself lost on the nighttime streets of Basra, separated from his unit. While trying to slip out unnoticed, he came across a column of marines pinned down by assailants using women and children civilians as a human shield to escape return fire. Enraged, Willie uncharacteristically charged into the building and managed to subdue most of the men with a lot of luck, a well-timed grenade, and an angry rifle butt to the head. The tail end of his 'heroics' ("Hey, they were bustin' up the only ride out of town I could find... what was I gonna do? I aint no hero") were conveniently captured on camera by a helicopter responding to the column's call for help. He later received a bronze star for his actions, was honorably discharged at his request, and enjoyed a little press time at home.

Back in Birmingham, he renewed his interest in investigating his bother's death, and parlayed his 15 minutes of fame into a job with the Jefferson Country Sheriff's department and a marriage with his wife, Sharon. After being passed over for promotion to detective several times (racially motivated, in Willie's opionion, since he had a great record and did well on exams), Willie responded to an older senior watch commander's negative comments with a righteous right cross. He was given the option to 'quit' with a good record, or be brought up on charges. He chose the former, and after months of joblessness, sunk into a bout of despair and alchoholism which quickly cost him his marriage (she actually had the nerve to tell him he had "anger management issues", which really pissed him off). Again, his Grams came to his aid, forced him to clean up and got him a job with his cousins Bail Bondsman company, taking night classes to
become a private detective. It's not fun work, especially the bail skips, but it's work.

When he met the group, he was working terrible infidelity cases for his cousin, trying to gather evidence with a pocket full of disposable cameras on long nights in the rain since his 35mm had to go to pawn a while back. His '79 Lincoln Continental is in the shop till he has enough money to get it out, and the really bad part of bumming rides is trying to maintain that cool/tough image when his Grams drops him off and fusses over him while making him take a sack lunch. At least he has figured out how to get out of the car quick enough to avoid the motherly kisses, though the woman is positively obsessed with clean socks. He has struck up
an unlikely friendship with the other group members in lieu of Joe and Taylors occasional off-color remarks ("No, just because I'm *black* doesnt mean I can pick a d*mn lock! You watch too much TV.") and feels close them, even though they share little in common. He has started attending services at Brother Guyzell's, who he respects not only as a man of God but also as a person, which has elated his Grams to no end.

Willie is a tall black man with a winning smile, thin for his height, who has found he has a gift for relating to other people... particularly women. With the right word or look, he can go from a smiling confidant to a looming intimidator, and generally believes that the proper amount of smiles or stares can do amazing things, however he always carries his chrome-plated .44 magnum revolver in case the situation warrants a more 'solid' backing up. He does try to not let his temper get the better of him, though he is quick to rant about injustices done to him and other poor people (real or imagnined). He tries to dress well, coming across a bit dated because of his limited financial resources, but he does still tend to do well with the ladies in spite of his monetary woes and his constant mistrust of the "system" that has abused him time and time again. He is a solid investigator, can spot bulls&!* from a blimp in a fogstorm, and has a well-developed and often misplaced sense of justice which occasionally overwhelms his even more useful sense of self-preservation. He also believes that it's always better to be lucky than good, and seems to find a lucky turn just when he needs it (and sometimes the opposite just when he doesnt).

Last edited:

Harp

First Post
These character backgrounds are a fantastic addition to the story hour. Any chance of coercing/strong-arming the other players into putting up theirs?

Old Drew Id

First Post
Session 2 (5/14/2003) The Church

Session 2 (5/14/2003) The Church

The Mountain View Church of Vestavia was a large diamond-shaped building that reminded Joe more of a movie theater than a church. The seating was divided up into rows of individual chairs instead of pews, and was raised in the back so that the whole room sort of looked down onto the dais area, which was furnished with an ornate wooden pulpit and curtain. Joe could see as soon as he walked in that the pulpit had been vandalized, and that a section of chairs had been ripped up from the floor and then further damaged.

“Nobody steps on a church in my town,” he muttered to no one in particular.

The Wednesday night service was long, and in Joe’s opinion, fairly boring. He sat as close to the ruined set of chairs as he could, and throughout the service he tried to get a good look at the markings carved into the pulpit. While the rest of the congregation listened to the preacher drone on about whatever sin or virtue they should or should not be doing, Joe patiently copied down the markings from the pulpit into his handy notepad.

When the service was over and the crowd began to file out, Joe got up and headed over to where he saw the preacher speaking to a few of his flock. On his way, he saw a familiar face poking around in the back of the crowd. It looked like Willie Lamar was hanging around as well. The two made brief eye contact, and Willie then turned and pretended to be interested in a pamphlet on a nearby table. Joe took the hint and quietly hummed the Mission Impossible theme as he continued over to the preacher.

“Hey, preacher, great service! Really…um…you know…holy,” Joe interrupted, and the preacher and his small entourage all stopped talking and looked over at Joe with expressions ranging from disapproving to slightly frightened.

Joe took the opportunity to glance down at his attire. They must all be impressed by his new Spawn T-shirt. It was pretty cool, he admitted. Still, there was business to attend to.

The preacher slowly nodded to Joe and a confused but friendly smile returned to his face. “Well, thank you, sir. I appreciate it. Are you…uh…new to our congregation?”

Joe nodded, “Um…sure…why not? Say, padre, what’s up with the freaky things carved into the pulpit? Is that like some new religious thing?” Joe smiled at his clever questioning technique. He was sure that Willie was probably watching from somewhere in the back. Probably taking notes.

“Um…that is some damage from vandalism. We hope to have it repaired some---”

“Who did it?” Joe interrupted, trying to surprise him into giving something away.

The preacher looked surprised, but Joe couldn’t tell if it was sincere or not. This guy was good, that was for sure. Not many people could handle Joe’s powerful way with words like this. The preacher furrowed his brow and answered, “I really couldn’t say, but I believe that is a police matter. Say! Bernice!” The preacher motioned to someone behind Joe. “Say Bernice, this gentleman is interested in joining our congregation. Perhaps you would be so good as to answer a few questions for him.”

Joe turned and got his first look at Bernice. She immediately reminded him of that kid from the Addams Family. Unfortunately for her, the one she looked like was the boy.

“Ewww…I mean, hi!” Joe covered. She probably didn’t notice his little slip.

The preacher and the rest of his little group moved away, leaving Joe with Bernice. She certainly didn’t look any more pleased with the arrangement than Joe was. She must not be a Spawn fan.

“So…Bernice, can you give me a ride somewhere?”

. . .

Willie waited, biding his time. The crowd has thinned down to half a dozen hangers-on who had to have a word with the preacher before leaving. He saw Joe leave with a weird looking boy in a dress, but Willie figured Joe had his own life, and he could do what he wanted. To each his own.

Finally, the preacher was alone, and it looked like there would be no interruptions. Willie did his best to casually saunter over to the man while staggering and leaning heavily on his new cane. The preacher was stacking books onto a side table when Willie interrupted him.

“Good evening, Reverend. Might I have a word with you?”

“Certainly, what can I do for you?”

Willie brought out his wallet with his old police badge. He flashed it to the man as he introduced himself, “William Morris, Field Agent with the ATF. If you don’t mind, I have a few questions for you.” Willie held the badge open long enough for the man to focus on it, but then Willie dodged his head sideways to catch the man’s eye again. It was an old trick he had used before. If people felt that you were demanding eye contact, it put them on the defensive and they usually ignored the badge and looked you in the eye. But, it also meant he could leave the badge out a longer time, so it did not look like he was just trying to flash a fake badge and quickly put it away…which of course, is exactly what he was doing.

“What can I do for you, Agent Morris?”

“Well, Reverend, I’m in a bit of a bind here. I’m not really operating in my jurisdiction, you see, but I am working on a case in this area, and I believe your recent vandalism attack on the night of…” Willie pulled a small notebook out of his jacket pocket and flipped it open to a dog-eared page, “well, last Wednesday night, I guess, anyhow, I believe your attack may be connected to the case I am working on.”

The past raised an eyebrow quizzically. “Really? What could a vandalism attack have to do with an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms?”

“Well, reverend, I’m not permitted to give too many details at this time, but, unofficially, I’m following an illegal arms dealer who may be operating in this area. Real nut job, too, if you don’t mind me saying. The type that would get their kicks from something like this,” and Willie motioned to the damage on the pulpit. He started talking as quickly as possible, “Now, my problem is, as I said, I’m out of my jurisdiction here. You see, we at the bureau don’t want to take over this case, because if we do, the press could get wind of it, and then this guy I’m chasing would know I’m here, you understand? It would make my job a lot harder. So what I would like to do is just ask you a couple of questions in a purely unofficial capacity, if you know what I mean.”

The pastor seemed lost, and just nodded.

“Okay then, what can you tell me about the attack?” Willie had his notebook and pen ready.

“Well, we found the damage Thursday morning. Actually I got a call ‘cause the janitor, Mike Edwards, found the damage when he opened the church that morning, and he called me. Anyhow, there was a bunch of stuff knocked over and messed up, like furniture and things like that. And the front door was busted up pretty badly, and the carvings like you saw. And there was some mess in the vestibule that Mike took care of. Anyhow, we called the police and then we cleaned up as best we could. And really, that’s all I know.”

“Is this Mike Edwards here tonight, where I could have a word with him?”

A couple of minutes late, the preacher was gone, and Willie had shambled in a maintenance closet speaking to an elderly white-haired man wearing well-worn coveralls.

“Now Mr. Edwards, the reverend said there was some kind of mess that you cleaned up in the vestibule? Can you tell me what that was?”

“Well, sir, I don’t rightly know, to be honest with ya, what that stuff was. It was sure nasty though. Had bugs crawling in it an’ everything.”

Willie’s blood ran cold. “You say it had…insects crawling in it?”

“Yes, sir. Um…iffin’ I had to say, I would guess it was like somebody’d done throwed up.”

“Um…vomit?”

“Yes, sir”

Willie took a deep calming breath. “I don’t suppose you still have any of it by any chance?”

“No, sir.”

In a way, Willie was relieved. At least that meant he wouldn’t have to carry any of it back--

“I do still have the rags I used to clean it up, though,” the janitor said encouragingly, and reached behind him into a garbage can.

Willie reached into his jacket pocket and removed a plastic bag as the janitor turned back around with a grimy brown-black glob in one hand. Willie averted his eyes and waved the baggy at the janitor. “Yes, ahem…here you go sir, if you can just place the evidence into this bag…” Willie decided that only crazy white people would want to go and keep a dirty rag around for a week, just in case it came in handy.

A moment later, Willie was holding the plastic bag with the squishy rag inside. He struggled to avoid gagging as he held the nasty thing in one hand, with his cane in the other.

“Okay, thank you sir. Now before I go, is there anything else you can remember about that morning?”

“Nothing I can think of. It’s all like I told the poh-leese when they was up here.”

“Well, could you go over it one more time for me, just in case?”

“Well, sir, I came in, and I saw the mess on the floor. And I went down to the fuse box but they was all right--”

“Wait, why did you go to the fuse box?”

“Cause the lights was off.”

“Your lights were off—The power was out?”

“Yes, sir.”

“And…it was not a fuse? Or a storm?”

“No, sir. It was the…uh…whatchacallit…the power box outside? You know, on the side of the building? Them kids or whoever done busted into the place…they messed with it and musta turned the power off.”

“They messed with it? How?” This might explain the sudden loss of power at the library just before the attack.

“They scratched some of that writing into the paint on the box, same as the pulpit there. I would show it to ya, but after the poh-leese came and took they pictures, they said I could paint over it. Shocked myself something nasty doing it, too. But anyhow, I looked at it real good, and it was the same writing as what they done to the pulpit.”

Willie wasn’t listening anymore. He looked at his watch. Nine-thirty. He needed to get back to the library.

Last edited:

Harp

First Post
Re: Session 2 (5/14/2003) The Church

Old Drew Id said:
They must all be impressed by his new Spawn T-shirt.
See, this is why it's so important to move outside of your normal social circles once in a while. ;)

He saw Joe leave with a weird looking boy in a dress, but Willie figured Joe had his own life, and he could do what he wanted. To each his own.

And that's just funny. Painting the poor church worker as Puggsly in a dress is simply inspired imagery.

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Drew, thanks again for another update. I really appreciate your writing style and the descriptions you use, flashing the badge for example.

Keep it up. This is really good stuff.

fludogg

First Post
Joe's Background

First I think I must say that Joe Empire was created using a can of Budweiser.

I wanted Joe to be a fairly boring kind of guy. A life that was almost meaningless, in the hopes that something important would happen in his life.

He was raised in Birmingham and has never lived anywhere else. His mother Elizabeth worked for the state as an english teacher. His father Colin worked for Birmingham Steel. This is where he gets most of his traits. From Elizabeth he received his writing ability. She is the one he credits helping him start his conspiracy theory newsletter. From his father he received his girth and sense of humor. Both parents now live in Nebraska due to a job transfer of his father.

Joe grew up reading comic books and watching too much Scooby-Doo. He never really had any friends until high school where he met up with some really cool guys in trench coats who played these games called RPG's. Needless to say that these guys never really liked Joe, they just put up with him because he had a job and could afford to buy lots of miniatures for their games. Joe never really cared much that they were not truly his friends, but was just happy to have someone else to hang out with.

After high school he worked a lot of dead-end jobs, trying to save enough money to open his own business. Joe figured he could rekindle some sort of friendship with people ... even if it was shallow.. by opening his very own comic and gaming store. It was a glorious day when the store opened ... Joe was so happy with his new store that he moved into a loft on the second level of the building.

Well that was years ago... now Joe is 38 years old... all he did before his adventuring career, was to play games, work, and write his newsletter. Many nights were spent searching the Internet for conspiracies in his loft mainly because he had nothing else to do. Now he has something in common with new people who seem to like him, his conspiracy newsletter has real conspiracies in it, and his comic sales are up... Aside from all the weird stuff going on around Joe ... I think this may be the first time in his life he is actually happy

Remove ads