• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Medieval European influence

If anyone's been paying any attention to my occasional ramblings about the games I run, you'll probably notice that Medieval Europe is not a strong influence on my settings. Rather, I cite Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom books, Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns, Charles Dickens and H. P. Lovecraft as much more influential.

However, I recently have rediscovered some of my old medieval favorites. I recently reread Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and Robert Louis Stephenson's The Black Arrow as well as watching the fabulous Errol Flynn vehicle The Adventures of Robin Hood. I've now been thinking seriously about running a campaign on the side--possibly for my kids--that better incorporates "Jolly Olde Englande" or whatever as a basic setting building block.

Anyway, I'm not sure that I have a question here or not---probably not. Just, if you run a campaign that's heavily influenced by medieval lore, or medieval historical fiction, as the case would be with me, tell me about it! I'm curious what you've done.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
There is some medieval influance. (its the sig).

Basically, instead of coming up with quasi medieval or pseudo feudal lands, we thought: why not just use the original?

In practice it has worked well. Players can relate to the world more easily, and there is a endless support (especially in the Wikipedia era). At the same time, in our actual campaings there is still pretty strong fantasy and pulp elements. Nothing is taken too seriously, and there is no slavish devotion to history (not even close).

Last edited:

Tyrrell said:
Have you considered Pendragon or Ars Magica for your game?
No, and I'm not looking for systems, settings or books. This thread is not meant to be a "sell me on Hârn" or anything like that either.

Just a question to discuss what y'all have done in your campaigns that directly mimic classic adventure stories set in a realistic medieval European environment.

J-Dawg said:
watching the fabulous Errol Flynn vehicle The Adventures of Robin Hood[/i
Any campaign that involves flashing blades and buckling swashes is destined for greatness.

But seriously, there is a reason that medeival stories continue to be popular. Whatever the real period was like, it is portrayed as an era of heroism, pageantry, and romance. Who doesn't want to experience those things?

P.S. Another good source is T.H. White's The Once and Future King. Maybe you read this in school; regardless, read it again.

Joshua Randall said:
P.S. Another good source is T.H. White's The Once and Future King. Maybe you read this in school; regardless, read it again.
Oooh, good call. I have read it, but it's been almost twenty years. It's definately time to dust off my copy and read it again.

Huw

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Any campaign that involves flashing blades and buckling swashes is destined for greatness.

<pedant>The bucklers get swashed, not the other way round</pedant>

Joshua Randall said:
But seriously, there is a reason that medeival stories continue to be popular. Whatever the real period was like, it is portrayed as an era of heroism, pageantry, and romance. Who doesn't want to experience those things?

Dead on! If it's been a well-used cliche for 600 years, then you can bet that it's a good cliche.

SiderisAnon

First Post
Defense Bonus Is A Good Addition

I am preparing to run a campaign that has a bit of the swashbuckling influence in it. For this campaign, I am using a version of the Defense Bonus rules so that the characters can be running around in light or no armor and still have a chance at survival.

Basically, the Defense Bonus gives your character an armor bonus based on level. You use that bonus or the armor bonus from your worn armor, whichever is higher. Shields and all other sources of defense (like natural armor) stack normally.

You can find the writeup here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm

xrpsuzi

First Post
J-Dawg said:
Just, if you run a campaign that's heavily influenced by medieval lore, or medieval historical fiction, as the case would be with me, tell me about it! I'm curious what you've done.

Social ties. Being on the player end, it sort of bugged me at first, but re-enforcing the fact that you have social ties in all things (not just social spheres) in addition to the traditional quasi-medieval fantasy troupes grounds the roleplaying in a historical kind of way.

In a game, it's easy to forget that there are barriers beyond simple finance in acquiring things or access to services. That and make everything dirty. Watching Excaliber with the chase scene in the full metal armor.... that movie rocks.

Best of luck with evoking your medieval muse

-Suzi

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You probably can't go wrong dusting off copies of The Song of Roland, Beowulf, Sir Gawain & the Green Knight or anything remotely Arthurian.

Other strong sources would include anything about Jean D'Arc or any "paladin," or tales of the Crusades, Knights Templars, etc.

Heck- with all the stuff about Knights Templars in history & "Holy Grail" fiction (both old and new), you'd probably have enough for a full campaign right there- everyone loves "secret societies!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads